Mel Kiper on ESPN 103.3

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
talking Cowboys

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Derrick Johnson. Storng possibility he will be around when the Cowboys pick with our first pick. Thought he had a good, but not great year. Missed some tackles.
Mentioned who would fit into a 3-4. Not Pollard, but Spears and Merriman... Cody.
Talked about Troy Williamson. How he could have been a top 5 pick if he had gone to Miami.

Bull Frog

Reaction score
HITBYROY31 said:
No Way Dj Lasts Till 11th
We Will Be Lucky If Merriman Is There!!!
He said he may be there because of needs of other teams. He also said he may be there because he didn't have a great year and lacks 'the fire' necessary.

HITBYROY31

Reaction score
He Might Be There If The 10 Teams Ahead Lose The Take The Best Player Available Mentality.

whcarm

Reaction score
which Cody was he talking about? Saun or Dan? Seems either would be a good fit here.

kevwun

Reaction score
Here are Derrick Johnson's 2004 stats
Tackles - 130
Tackles for loss - 19
Forced fumbles - 9
Sacks - 2
Ints - 1
Pass breakups - 8
QB hurries - 10

He won the Butkus and Nagurski awards and was named 1st team All-American. What about that season does Mel not consider great?

joshjwp

Reaction score
My favorite stat about D. Johnson is that he forced 9 fumbles last season alone, but I think he is a MLB in a 3-4, because he probably isn't quite heavy enough to be the OLB.

ddh33

Reaction score
My own hunch is that Derrick Johnson is selected before #11. I also think that Merriman will be. With the emphasis on "tweeners" and his ability to play several positions, some team will fall in love with him and grab him early.

The guy who I think will end up sliding is Dan Cody. I think he could be someone who interests the Cowboys at #11. He can certainly rush the passer in the 4-3, and in a 3-4 he can play standing up. I think his fire and intensity could be a good fit as well.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
ddh33 said:
My own hunch is that Derrick Johnson is selected before #11. I also think that Merriman will be. With the emphasis on "tweeners" and his ability to play several positions, some team will fall in love with him and grab him early.

The guy who I think will end up sliding is Dan Cody. I think he could be someone who interests the Cowboys at #11. He can certainly rush the passer in the 4-3, and in a 3-4 he can play standing up. I think his fire and intensity could be a good fit as well.

If we picked Cody at #11, I would go Texas bell tower crazy.

HITBYROY31

Reaction score
Tricky-22 said:
Bingo!

BP will have a 3rd round pick before this draft is over.

JUST HOPE WE DONT FEEL THE WAY WE DID WHEN DWAYNE TRADED OUT OF OUR 1ST PICK LAST YEAR.

REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT WE GET AT 11

LA=Pancakemaker

Benched
Reaction score
He won the Butkus and Nagurski awards and was named 1st team All-American. What about that season does Mel not consider great?

I was thinking the same thing? not a great year? Kiper has his wig on to tight again!

joshjwp

Reaction score
ddh33 said:

Good point, there is no way that with only 10 picks before us we don't get atleast one of these 3.

Shawne Merriman, Derrick Johnson, Dan Cody

You know that the top 10 will include

2 QB's Rogers and Smith
3 RB's Benson, Williams, Brown
2 WR's Edwards and Williams
1 CB Jones

Thats 8 players right there. Point is one of those hybrid types will be a Cowboy at #11.

joshjwp

Reaction score
dstew60105 said:
That selection might just ruin our fine offseason

You kidding me right? Cody is a freak. He has the best motor in the draft, except for maybe Pollack, but that is even a toss up. Also Cody can play DE in a 4-3 and OLB in a 3-4. He has already done both. Mel Kiper Jr. had him ahead of both Johnson and Merriman until the combine, not sure now, he hasn't posted a new mock yet.

joshjwp

Reaction score
We could use some intensity on our defense and Cody is so intense, he passed out in the huddle once trying to psyche his teamates up.