Mel Kiper on ESPN 103.3

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
jem88 said:
I don't understand this.

he was remarking when bil/dwane traded out of the first last year, and everybody was goin crazy and jumping off cliffs cause they wanted jackson

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I think Channing Crowder is more of a Parcells-type linebacker than Derrick Johnson. Style-wise, DJ is really a taller Dexter Coakely.

are you serious?

thats the worst comparison I have ever seen?

If anything Derrick Johnson is most like Derrick Brooks-thats it

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
lzppjb said:
I just got finished watching highlights of DJ from this past season from each game. There were quite a few plays where he took on the blocker, got around him, and made a TFL. Including twice against OU...one where he upended AP in the hole.

Well, we will see I guess. You wouldn't happen to have any Longhorn bias would you? :D

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ghettogandhi said:
are you serious?

I think DJ is more like Julian Peterson.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ghettogandhi said:
are you serious?

Derrick Brooks and Dexter Coakley are pretty similar players, and so is Johnson. All of them are weakside 4-3 LB's who would rather run around and shimmy past blockers than explode through them to the ball carrier. That's effective in a lot of schemes, but I'm not sure if its Parcells.

jem88

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
he was remarking when bil/dwane traded out of the first last year, and everybody was goin crazy and jumping off cliffs cause they wanted jackson
Maybe I've missed something but what's with calling Parcells "Dwayne"? Please enlighten me.

Bobo

Reaction score
If the 4-3 is staying, no doubt DJ is the best Will option out there. And I don't think he'll be just a "good" player like it looks like Kiper was saying, I think he'd be a great 4-3 Will. Coakly was good for us, but DJ would be so much better and now we have that hole to fill.

If the 3-4 is going to be used, it's harder to know how well he'll fit in or where he'd fit in.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Bobo said:
If the 4-3 is staying, no doubt DJ is the best Will option out there. And I don't think he'll be just a "good" player like it looks like Kiper was saying, I think he'd be a great 4-3 Will. Coakly was good for us, but DJ would be so much better and now we have that hole to fill.

If the 3-4 is going to be used, it's harder to know how well he'll fit in or where he'd fit in.

Agreed, I'm not saying DJ is a bad player or won't be a good one. I just question if he's worth the #11 pick if he's asked to take on and get physical with blockers rather than just running around and weaving through the muck.

groverat

Reaction score
The next big hit DJ lands on someone will be the first.

I don't know how to even argue about this. You broke my mind.

If he lasts to #11 the Cowboys have received a blessing. If they pass him up they are imbeciles.

Bobo

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Agreed, I'm not saying DJ is a bad player or won't be a good one. I just question if he's worth the #11 pick if he's asked to take on and get physical with blockers rather than just running around and weaving through the muck.

If he's a Will in a 4-3, that's the spot he'll have to take on blockers the least. Since that's the big knock on him, that's the best place for him, unless he proves he can take on blockers better (he shouldn't have a size problem at 242 lbs). Keith Bulluck had a rap of not being good at taking on blockers coming out of college, he turned out ok as a 4-3 will ;)

lzppjb

Reaction score
Big-time players show up in big games. Based on the Rose Bowl, DJ isn't a big-time player.

Yes, let's judge players based on one game. Larry Brown is the greatest conerback of all time.

Longhorn bias? Hell yes. But it's not biased to set the record straight on all this bull**** being flung around about DJ. Not a big hitter? Who will you trust on that one? A guy that saw a couple games, or one that saw his entire career?

Sabu1

Reaction score
They will pass on Derrick Johnson if they go 3-4. He is best suited as a weakside LB in a 4-3 scheme. If they had their choice today of Derrick Johnson or Shawne Merriman today, I believe the Cowboys would take Merriman without question. Johnson is a fine player, but Merriman would be much more effective in a 3-4 as a standup pass rusher. And the Cowboys NEED a pass rusher.

lzppjb

Reaction score
As of now...since I haven't ever seen Merriman play, I can't really say. But if everything is true about him, I have no qualms in agreeing with that sentiment.

It's pretty easy to say Merriman fits a 3-4 system better than DJ. He may very well do that. It's another thing to say DJ is somehow deficient.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
jem88 said:
Maybe I've missed something but what's with calling Parcells "Dwayne"? Please enlighten me.
Believe it or not, Duane is his real name! In high school, there was another Duane, so he switched to Bill. Probably for the best--just wouldn't be the same, calling him "Big Duane." Altho, I guess then we could have Big Duane & our own Little Duane. :D

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
lzppjb said:
Yes, let's judge players based on one game. Larry Brown is the greatest conerback of all time.

Longhorn bias? Hell yes. But it's not biased to set the record straight on all this bull**** being flung around about DJ. Not a big hitter? Who will you trust on that one? A guy that saw a couple games, or one that saw his entire career?

A cumulation of objective unbiased scouting reports combined with my own personal viewing experiences.

Not saying this is for sure or that he can't play in the NFL or anything of that nature, just that it is a knock on him, it isn't an uncommon criticism and it worries me.

In the right scheme, I think he can be a heck of a player. I also think he has to be a weakside LBer.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Avery said:
If we picked Cody at #11, I would go Texas bell tower crazy.

Makes me wonder how many people reading this board understand that line...

ndanger

Reaction score
lzppjb said:
EHH, wrong.

Try watching a few games. Opponents knew exactly what he was about. Last year Reggie McNeal from A&M had the ball in the open field with only DJ to get around. What did he do? He fell down and got in the fetal position. DJ just looked at him, laughed, and walked off. Reggie had already taken a beating from DJ that day. He knew what was coming.

I've watched just about every game in DJ's college career. He makes a big hit in almost every game. From his freshman year in the Holiday Bowl where he hit Washington's QB so hard, he barely got up. To this past year knocking Razorbacks, Owls and who knows what else backwards 3 or 4 yards with a hit. Not to mention leaping over a running back, going at least 3+ yards in the air, and batting down a pass from the QB.
I don't remember seeing him making any big plays against O.U. this past year or the year before and I was at the games.