Mel Kipers perfect 3 round mock draft

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Barnett at 28 is simply not going to happen. Totally unrealistic. Would never make it past the Lions if he even lasted that long.

Gotta agree with Sarge... Very questionable that Barnett will be there at #28. If he was, he would be a strong, strong consideration.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, Witten isn't going to be around much longer so no idea what your 1sr statement is supposed to mean.

It means there isn't a "need" now. No rookie is displacing Witten in 2017 and I'm not using a premium pick to sit on the bench until he decides to retire.

And what did Swaim do other than catch the same wide open play action pass in the flat? He's a backup, if you want to keep him fine. Hanna is cut no problem then.

Swaim did what was asked of him, as the clear second fiddle TE behind Witten, and he did a great job of blocking. Blocking that was missed without him. And any TE this team acquires will be the same thing, second fiddle to Witten, until he retires.

I'm not investing quality draft picks on that role, especially when I have far bigger needs to fill.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I have seen him play. And I've read numerous reports from coaches and players endorsing him. Maybe you've missed them? I've also seen information regarding his truly special physical qualities, qualities that played a large role in the Cowboys drafting him, knowing that he needed time to transition.

I forgot about pre-season. He did make one catch, right?

Fluff articles and camp speak are one thing. Those same coaches left him on the practice--and no other team in the league bothered to snatch him up.

And neither am I, especially when you try to claim that having a list of positions to prioritize in a draft is locked in as "need". I've repeatedly said, there are no absolutes either way when it comes to the draft process.

Except for when it's the 3rd round and you went CB/DE in the first two, right? Then you restrict your talent pool to a single position. Or did you change your mind?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gotta agree with Sarge... Very questionable that Barnett will be there at #28. If he was, he would be a strong, strong consideration.

I grudgingly agree, and with what they already have in Ansah, I think he's their right defensive end and they're looking for someone on the left, which Barnett seems better suited for.

Pants

Reaction score
I would be really shocked to see Barnett last into the 20's, the real question is if he does, do the Cowboys trade up a little to get him? (I hope not)

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Swaim did what was asked of him, as the clear second fiddle TE behind Witten, and he did a great job of blocking. Blocking that was missed without him.

Let's not go overboard. PFF graded Swaim's run blocking at 71 (average). Sure, that's better than Witten at this stage, but he wasn't a difference maker. (To whom it may concern: I know PFF isn't perfect, but I'm taking their word over yours everytime.)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I forgot about pre-season. He did make one catch, right?

And there's are videos of him in practice too, being a favorite target of a guy named Romo and giving the defense problems. I guess you missed them.

Fluff articles and camp speak are one thing.

Always "fluff" when it says something you don't like, isn't it?

Those same coaches left him on the practice--and no other team in the league bothered to snatch him up.

And that same team paid him good money - well above practice squad pay grade - to keep him.

Except for when it's the 3rd round and you went CB/DE in the first two, right? Then you restrict your talent pool to a single position. Or did you change your mind?

You still need more than one corner, don't you? The team could also use another pass rusher. And, it's funny to hear about "a single position" from someone fixated on TE, or did that fact elude your notice?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's not go overboard. PFF graded Swaim's run blocking at 71 (average). Sure, that's better than Witten at this stage, but he wasn't a difference maker. (To whom it may concern: I know PFF isn't perfect, but I'm taking their word over yours everytime.)

Go for it. My feelings will not be hurt. Unfortunately, I'm not getting paid for my opinion. :(

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I would be really shocked to see Barnett last into the 20's, the real question is if he does, do the Cowboys trade up a little to get him? (I hope not)

I don't like the idea of trading up usually (and especially this year), but I'd consider it for Barnett, assuming he falls into the 20s.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
And there's are videos of him in practice too, being a favorite target of a guy named Romo and giving the defense problems. I guess you missed them.

Always "fluff" when it says something you don't like, isn't it?

And that same team paid him good money - well above practice squad pay grade - to keep him.

Good money? He got $0 guaranteed and 15K above minimum.

I would love for Rico Gathers to be the next Antoinio Gates. (I'd also love for Jaylon Smith to reach pre-injury form.) But as it's not about what I like/don't like--I'll believe it when I see it.

You still need more than one corner, don't you? And, it's funny to hear about "a single position" from someone fixated on TE, or did that fact elude your notice?

Now you're being disingenuous. I told you in this very thread that I my preference is DE/CB/S, should value dictate that. I'm just arguing against the notion that TE should be completely off the board until the 4th round.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Any TE we get needs to be able to catch and block well -- not simply one and not the other. As the same token, getting a TE shouldn't justifiably come at the expense of resolving our defensive woes. The defense is far too woeful to ignore again at this point in time. We desperately need a DE, CB, SS and a RT soon to be acceptably adept. Here's hoping Rico steps up his recognition of the offensive and blocking responsibilities.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good money? He got $0 guaranteed and 15K above minimum.

So much do the Cowboys believe in Gathers that he's already paid like he's on the active roster, a salary of $449,990. Had he already been the 53rd man, his pay would have been $450,000.

Jones has chosen to pay Gathers $0.58 less per week than the 53rd active man for one reason and one reason only: to keep him sitting tight in Dallas until he gets his shot.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jerry-jones-on-rico-gathers-you-really-might-see-him-promoted/

I would love for Rico Gathers to be the next Antoinio Gates. (I'd also love for Jaylon Smith to reach pre-injury form.) But as it's not about what I like/don't like--I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't blame you for that, but you also don't simply throw that talent away to get to the next guy either.

Now you're being disingenuous. I told you in this very thread that I my preference is DE/CB/S, should value dictate that. I'm just arguing against the notion that TE should be completely off the board until the 4th round.

If you're successful in achieving your own stated goal of DE/CB/S, the soonest you would get that TE would be the 4th round anyway, so what are you really arguing about? I think we're going round and round on a small detail while ignoring the fact that we agree on this team's needs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you can spot a special player based on 1 pre-season catch and some practice videos--you will be soon!

I also trust the people inside the building somewhat too. Even more than those Pro Football Focus guys.

Derinyar

Reaction score
I think Both Moreau and Engram go before our #60. Engram feels like a big WR to me more then a TE. Doubt you ask him to be an inline blocker.

Barnett I bet is causing issues in most draft rooms. I'm guessing the scouts are divided over tape and athleticism not necessarily matching up. His size is a little small for a 4-3 RDE, very small for a 4-3 LDE. Couple that with short arms and you probably have to be a little worried about him getting engulfed by the tackles he's likely to face in the NFL that are faster and longer then he is. Now I know there are NFL quality tackles in the SEC, but remember the average SEC tackle is still going to be doing something other then playing football on Sunday when they leave school. I'm going to bet that the Cowboys are viewing him more as a fall back then a primary take, he just doesn't fit the athletic profile or size profile they want in an EDGE player. Now I bet that he goes ahead of our pick, and honestly I think I'm fine with that. Let someone else potentially get the windfall for what I think is some real risk of a low ceiling. If he was getting sacks based on timing the QB snap count and beating guys with lesser athleticism to the point where he could bend that's going to be much harder in the NFL then it was at Tennessee.

Last edited:

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
"Jones has chosen to pay Gathers $0.58 less per week than the 53rd active man for one reason and one reason only: to keep him sitting tight in Dallas until he gets his shot."

They're paying him what 6th round picks get paid. Nothing more. All that means is that they didn't cut his pay when they decided he wasn't worth an active roster spot.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
I think Both Moreau and Engram go before our #60. Engram feels like a big WR to me more then a TE. Doubt you ask him to be an inline blocker.

Barnett I bet is causing issues in most draft rooms. I'm guessing the scouts are divided over tape and athleticism not necessarily matching up. His size is a little small for a 4-3 RDE, very small for a 4-3 LDE. Couple that with short arms and you probably have to be a little worried about him getting engulfed by the tackles he's likely to face in the NFL that are faster and longer then he is. Now I know there are NFL quality tackles in the SEC, but remember the average SEC tackle is still going to be doing something other then playing football on Sunday when they leave school. I'm going to bet that the Cowboys are viewing him more as a fall back then a primary take, he just doesn't fit the athletic profile or size profile they want in an EDGE player. Now I bet that he goes ahead of our pick, and honestly I think I'm fine with that. Let someone else potentially get the windfall for what I think is some real risk of a low ceiling. If he was getting sacks based on timing the QB snap count and beating guys with lesser athleticism to the point where he could bend that's going to be much harder in the NFL then it was at Tennessee.

I disagree with your thoughts on Barnett but was just curios as to who you like as an edge rusher.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Give me barnett, one of the colorado CBs, then kpassagon in the 3rd.