Melvin Gordon's contract vs Zeke's contract

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They weren't wrong. A Darren McFadden picked off the street ran for 1k yards with no QB support and Alfred Morris averaged 5 ypc. We scored fewer TDs and ran for fewer yards because we had the single worst QB situation in all of football.

You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

I gave you the facts which is why the Cowboys invested the fourth overall pick on an RB in 2016. The backs we had couldn’t take any pressure off the QBs we used in 2015. Had we had the same situation with a slew of average backs when Dak took over in 2016 he would have struggled and that season would have gone sour. The Cowboys used 4 different RBs in 2015. They even traded for a back. McFadden had just under 1100 yards which was over 700 fewer than Murray had the previous year. A real solid back would have had at least 1400 yards that season with 7-8 TDs behind the OL we had. The yards and TDs dropped dramatically, which put it all on our QBs. Look through the Cowboys history and find how many successful seasons they had without an elite runner in the backfield.

aria

Reaction score
I gave you the facts which is why the Cowboys invested the fourth overall pick on an RB in 2016. The backs we had couldn’t take any pressure off the QBs we used in 2015. Had we had the same situation with a slew of average backs when Dak took over in 2016 he would have struggled and that season would have gone sour. The Cowboys used 4 different RBs in 2015. They even traded for a back. McFadden had just under 1100 yards which was over 700 fewer than Murray had the previous year. A real solid back would have had at least 1400 yards that season with 7-8 TDs behind the OL we had. The yards and TDs dropped dramatically, which put it all on our QBs. Look through the Cowboys history and find how many successful seasons they had without an elite runner in the backfield. I’m only responding back because it’s so easy to shoot holes in the comments you’re making. lol
Lol, are you kidding me? Take the pressure off the QB’s? It was the other way around, the QB’s were so bad that no teams even had to account for them making a completion to a wide open receiver. All the other teams had to do was stop the run, and Mcfadden who was supposedly a nobody, still got over 1K yards.

Even if McFadden got 1400 yards what would that have got us, 2 extra wins? Look how many yards Zeke got this year behind one of the best lines in the league and where did that get us? 8-8. I guarantee a less talented and cheaper RB could have put up similar yards, or adequate enough, and the money we spent on Zeke could have been used to shore up the defense. THAT would have made a difference, not a show pony like Zeke.

Show pony RB’s don’t win Super Bowls. Look who NE has won with at RB, look who Philly won with at RB, look where SF got at RB. The last time an All Pro RB won a Super Bowl was 1999 yet the Jones boys and Zeke homers think football is still played the same as it was when the Cowboys won their last Super Bowl. Unreal, no wonder we haven’t made a splash in the playoffs in over two decades.

So you can sit there and talk about his flashy numbers, his awards, how much he “deserved” to be paid, and how important he is but the truth about winning Super Bowls say otherwise.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lol, are you kidding me? Take the pressure off the QB’s? It was the other way around, the QB’s were so bad that no teams even had to account for them making a completion to a wide open receiver. All the other teams had to do was stop the run and McFadden, who was supposedly a nobody, still got over 1K yards.

Even if McFadden got 1400 yards what would that have got us, 2 extra wins? Look how many yards Zeke got this year behind one of the best lines in the league and where did that get us? 8-8. I guarantee a less talented and cheaper RB could have put up similar yards, or adequate enough, and the money we spent on Zeke could have been used to shore up the defense. THAT would have made a difference, not a show pony like Zeke.

Show pony RB’s don’t win Super Bowls. Look who NE has won with at RB, look who Philly won with at RB, look where SF got at RB. The last time an All Pro RB won a Super Bowl was 1999 yet the Jones boys and Zeke homers think football is still played the same as it was when the Cowboys won their last Super Bowl. Unreal, no wonder we haven’t made a splash in the playoffs in over two decades.

Cooped up at home must have you more bored than most. :laugh: You’re just wasting your time I’m not reading any of your posts on Zeke. If you want to have a discussion find another topic. :thumbup:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Melvin Gordon reached an agreement on a two-year, $16 million deal that includes $13.5 million guaranteed with the Denver Broncos, a source confirmed to ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28931790/source-ex-chargers-rb-melvin-gordon-agrees-broncos

Ezekiel Elliott signed a 6 year, $90,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $7,500,000 signing bonus, $50,052,137 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,000,000.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ezekiel-elliott-18952/

Zeke is better but not that much better.

Gordon gets $7 million the first year of his deal. Elliott got $6.3.

Gordon gets $9 million the second year. Elliott is getting $10.9.

What happens after that depends on restructures, etc.

aria

Reaction score
Cooped up at home must have you more bored than most. :laugh: You’re just wasting your time I’m not reading any of your posts. If you want to have a discussion find another topic. :thumbup:
Actually at work but I’ll need some entertainment at home tomorrow. Have any good Netflix or Amazon Prime recommendations? I haven’t really enjoyed the ones in the “off topic” forum. I don’t like getting into series that aren’t finished (rather binge watch) and typically stay away from romance and sci fi, other than that I’m fair game.

P.S Come up with a few good ones and I may disappear for several hours so think wisely :p

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Actually at work but I’ll need some entertainment at home tomorrow. Have any good Netflix or Amazon Prime recommendations? I haven’t really enjoyed the ones in the “off topic” forum. I don’t like getting into series that aren’t finished (rather binge watch) and typically stay away from romance and sci fi, other than that I’m fair game.

P.S Come up with a few good ones and I may disappear for several hours so think wisely :p

Sorry, I can’t help you I don’t watch movies.
I can make you disappear forever all it takes is a click. :p

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I gave you the facts which is why the Cowboys invested the fourth overall pick on an RB in 2016. The backs we had couldn’t take any pressure off the QBs we used in 2015. Had we had the same situation with a slew of average backs when Dak took over in 2016 he would have struggled and that season would have gone sour. The Cowboys used 4 different RBs in 2015. They even traded for a back. McFadden had just under 1100 yards which was over 700 fewer than Murray had the previous year. A real solid back would have had at least 1400 yards that season with 7-8 TDs behind the OL we had. The yards and TDs dropped dramatically, which put it all on our QBs. Look through the Cowboys history and find how many successful seasons they had without an elite runner in the backfield.
The RBs couldn’t take pressure off the QB? My God that is funny.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The RBs couldn’t take pressure off the QB? My God that is funny.

If they’re not consistent and the defense doesn’t fear them they can’t take pressure off their QB. It adds pressure to the QB. That was evident during the 2015 season. The whole idea is to try and make the QB beat you and we didn’t have a QB who could beat anyone.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In 2015 the defense was just teeing off on Romo. They feared none of the backs we had. McFadden missed a block against Carolina which resulted in Romo re breaking his collarbone. The read option we use with Dak isn’t nearly as effective if you don’t have a back that has to be accounted for.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If they’re not consistent and the defense doesn’t fear them they can’t take pressure off their QB. It adds pressure to the QB. That was evident during the 2015 season. The whole idea is to try and make the QB beat you and we didn’t have a QB who could beat anyone.
I am sure defensive coordinators were shaking in their boots trying to figure out how to stop Weeden to Twill instead of our offensive line and desire to be run first.

I get you go out of your way to make Zeke look as good as possible but this one takes the cake.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I am sure defensive coordinators were shaking in their boots trying to figure out how to stop Weeden to Twill instead of our offensive line and desire to be run first.

I get you go out of your way to make Zeke look as good as possible but this one takes the cake.

Defenses were licking their chops pinning their ears back coming after Weeden and Cassel, not fearing the average RBs we had that season. Not having an elite runner contributed to Romo getting injured early in the season. Go look at the rushing averages McFadden and Joseph Randall had the first couple games of the 2015 season. Romo was having to put it up. Once he got injured I knew we were dead! The main reason the Cowboys drafted Zeke was to try and take pressure off Romo and give him a great back. Romo had arguably his best season in 2014 with a top rusher in the backfield. A defense can’t just zero in on the QB with an elite runner in the backfield. We all saw what happened to the team when Zeke was suspended in 2017. We weren’t the same team and Dak struggled. We’re not going to be successful with an average group of RBs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What’s hilarious is some fans were predicting a 1700+ yard season for McFadden in 2015. There were fans who said Joseph Randall could put up over 1500 behind our great OL. lol Look through the archives and see for yourself! They didn’t think the back mattered and some still don’t. Sorry but the back does matter!

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Defenses were licking their chops pinning their ears back coming after Weeden and Cassel, not fearing the average RBs we had that season. Not having an elite runner contributed to Romo getting injured early in the season. Go look at the rushing averages McFadden and Joseph Randall had the first couple games of the 2015 season. Romo was having to put it up. Once he got injured I knew we were dead! The main reason the Cowboys drafted Zeke was to try and take pressure off Romo and give him a great back. Romo had arguably his best season in 2014 with a top rusher in the backfield. A defense can’t just zero in on the QB with an elite runner in the backfield. We all saw what happened to the team when Zeke was suspended in 2017. We weren’t the same team and Dak struggled. We’re not going to be successful with an average group of RBs.
Bull crap. Romo got hurt on a shotgun, empty backfield play. There was no fear of a running game that play because there was no running back in the backfield.

And yes. When Tyron Smith and Zeke went out the offense struggled in 2017. Why don’t you go to bat for Morris? He was more efficient than Zeke that year and he played in the 3 games the offensive line was at its worst. He also faced stacked boxes on a greater percentage of his runs than Zeke faced.

But no, you take every single thing and twist it to make Zeke look as good as possible while attempting to make Morris, DMC and Randle look as bad as possible.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Bull crap. Romo got hurt on a shotgun, empty backfield play. There was no fear of a running game that play because there was no running back in the backfield.

And yes. When Tyron Smith and Zeke went out the offense struggled in 2017. Why don’t you go to bat for Morris? He was more efficient than Zeke that year and he played in the 3 games the offensive line was at its worst. He also faced stacked boxes on a greater percentage of his runs than Zeke faced.

But no, you take every single thing and twist it to make Zeke look as good as possible while attempting to make Morris, DMC and Randle look as bad as possible.

Bull crap to you and everyone who keeps arguing. I don’t twist anything dude look at the damn numbers! You don’t see any of the intelligent fans on this board arguing Zeke’s value to this team. It isn’t hard to separate the clueless on this board.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Bull crap to you and everyone who keeps arguing. I don’t twist anything dude look at the damn numbers!
I have. Why don’t you and try to drop your biases when doing so.

Also, since you blame Romo’s injury in 2017 partly because there was no fear of the running game, what do you attribute his 2016 injury to while Zeke was in the game? I guess now we can blame Zeke, right?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I have. Why don’t you and try to drop your biases when doing so.

Also, since you blame Romo’s injury in 2017 partly because there was no fear of the running game, what do you attribute his 2016 injury to while Zeke was in the game? I guess now we can blame Zeke, right?

I have no biases I’m telling it like it is. Just look at the numbers! As for Romo’s injury during preseason in 2016 I attribute it to his body breaking down. The last few times he hit the turf something broke. You’re going to take some hits at the QB position and his body couldn’t take them anymore. He didn’t get injured because Zeke missed a block or we had no running game. There’s a reason Romo was done after that season.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I have no biases I’m telling it like it is. Just look at the numbers! As for Romo’s injury during preseason in 2016 I attribute it to his body breaking down. The last few times he hit the turf something broke. You’re going to take some hits at the QB position and his body couldn’t take them anymore. He didn’t get injured because Zeke missed a block or we had no running game. There’s a reason Romo was done after that season.
Color me surprised you blame his 2015 injury on lack of a running game but running game isn’t to blame in 2016. I would have bet my life that double standard was coming.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Color me surprised you blame his 2015 injury on lack of a running game but running game isn’t to blame in 2016. I would have bet my life that double standard was coming.

Romo attempted 45 passes in the season opener in 2015. That was more passing attempts than he had in any game during the 2014 season. He was on pace for another 40+ attempt game in week two when he was injured. Both McFadden and Randle averaged under 4.0 a carry the first two weeks of that season. Those games were being put on Romo and defenses were pinning their ears back coming after him. Romo looked like he was running in sand when he got injured against Seattle in 2016. Dak would have run away from that sack. Romo’s mobility wasn’t what it was. In the few games he played in 2015 he took a beating. Just keep arguing, this is like target practice. lol

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Romo attempted 45 passes in the season opener in 2015. That was more passing attempts than he had in any game during the 2014 season. He was on pace for another 40+ attempt game in week two when he was injured. Both McFadden and Randle averaged under 4.0 a carry the first two weeks of that season. Those games were being put on Romo and defenses were pinning their ears back coming after him. Romo looked like he was running in sand when he got injured against Seattle in 2016. Dak would have run away from that sack. Romo’s mobility wasn’t what it was. In the few games he played in 2015 he took a beating. Just keep arguing, this is like target practice. lol
He was hurt on a shotgun empty backfield play. None of those numbers matter. And we went shotgun empty backfield way too often, even in 2014 when we had Murray. His injury had nothing to do with the running game. We even did it a lot in 2016 when we would send Zeke out wide. It was my pet peeve play. Having the best line in football and leading rusher and run so many empty backfield sets. It was frustrating.