Melvin Gordon's contract vs Zeke's contract

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Melvin Gordon used to make me pull out my hair when he played against my NCAA team. I wanted him to be a Cowboy so bad. But I do think Zeke is better.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
What is peoples issue with Zeke?

Since hes been in the league hes been nothing short of the best RB in football

were complaining about a guy whos worst year was 983 yards when he play in 10 games suspended for 6 and had only 9 yards in another
He was the best RB in the league in 2016. He was not the best in the league in 2017, 2018, or 2019.

aria

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of giving RB’s big contracts.

But Zeke is an all around better player the Gordon. And it’s not even close.

Gordon has played more games, yet has less yards, less TD’s, averages less yards per game, and less yards per rushing attempt. And though Gordon has more pass targets, Zeke has more catching yards, and higher yards per reception.
I agree Zeke HAS been better all around but I think we would have won the same amount of games over the past few years with a much cheaper option than Zeke. Is there one game anyone honestly thinks we would have lost without Zeke this year? I can point to a few that he arguably lost for us.

I realize it’s a team sport but if he’s going to get credit for winning us games then it’s fair to point to games where he didn’t live up to his own standard by being the best RB.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Let’s see, where do I start?
- off the field he’s about the most unlikable person I can think of, an entitled punk bully diva brat

- most yards doesn’t equate to best RB. He had arguably the best O line in the league his rookie year and has had top 10 O lines since, including last year in which the Cowboys O line was second in run blocking. Whenever he had a bad game it was the O lines fault or coaching but whenever he had good games the O line is never mentioned. If he played behind most O lines in the league, his name would hardly be mentioned as one of the best

- he’s a quitter and taps out during critical situations

- he held this team hostage by sitting out with 2 years left on his contract

- he has disappeared in too many big games to demand to paid as the best

-personality aside, no RB is worthy of the number 4 overall pick and certainly not the money he demanded (that’s mostly on Jerry but he’s the first brat in the history of the NFL to sit out with two years left on his contract IIRC)

- he carries purses
Aria, buddy, I'm now convinced that you are getting paid to express your dislike for this one guy. You are too over the top to be doing this for free. So to you, I say "good job". I hope you are being paid well.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Even at that depressed value thats 50% more than Gordon just signed for with much more risk.. If you just look at AAV Zeke is not twice as good as Gordon.

Gordon dumbazzing his way off the Chargers and into a bad contract has nothing to do with Zeke. I can find a UDFA on a minimum contract and say he is 30% of the player at 5% of the cost. But that would be meaningless too.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Melvin Gordon reached an agreement on a two-year, $16 million deal that includes $13.5 million guaranteed with the Denver Broncos, a source confirmed to ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28931790/source-ex-chargers-rb-melvin-gordon-agrees-broncos

Ezekiel Elliott signed a 6 year, $90,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $7,500,000 signing bonus, $50,052,137 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,000,000.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ezekiel-elliott-18952/

Zeke is better but not that much better.
get over it that was last seasons issues, ITS OVER, MOVE ON AND SAN DIEGO DIDNT RESIGN AND NOW HES GETTING LESS, ZEKES DEAL AND HIS 4YEAR PRODUCTION SAY YES ZEKE IS BETTER..

so of you mofos need to move flippin ON!!!:facepalm:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Gordon dumbazzing his way off the Chargers and into a bad contract has nothing to do with Zeke. I can find a UDFA on a minimum contract and say he is 30% of the player at 5% of the cost. But that would be meaningless too.
Gordon was offered 4 years and 40MM from Chargers.

He got essentially the same deal and a sooner reentry to FA when he'll be still young. FAct is Zeke is still vastly overpaid relative to the average RB and also relative to Gordon with the Charger or with the Broncos.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Gordon has never been a good rusher. 5 career seasons and 4 of them have been under 4 YPC. In fairness, the Chargers line hasn't done him any favors, but that's still awful. He gets a lot of catches, but just because Phil Rivers targets the crap out of his running backs.

I don't know if I would give Gordon more than 5 or 6 million a year. 8 seems generous, declining a 11 million offer from the Chargers last offseason is insane.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He was the best RB in the league in 2016. He was not the best in the league in 2017, 2018, or 2019.
4 years old. The forum usually turns on a guy after a year. But there is a blindspot for Zeke. It's strange.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s not even close between Zeke and Gordon. In five seasons Gordon has only had one 1000 yard season. He hasn’t even reached 900 yards rushing the past two seasons and his career rushing average is 4.0. He’s averaged under 4 yards a carry in four of his five seasons. One reason he doesn’t produce much is because he’s had injuries.

aria

Reaction score
Aria, buddy, I'm now convinced that you are getting paid to express your dislike for this one guy. You are too over the top to be doing this for free. So to you, I say "good job". I hope you are being paid well.
Lol, it helped pay for our bet! And thank you, I’ll never stop as long as he wears the Cowboys uniform.

A lot of people hated Garrett, don’t like Dak, couldn’t stand Marinelli...my hatred is reserved for one person on this team :) I fear if I hate more than one player than my hatred will be diminished which would be unacceptable.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It’s not even close between Zeke and Gordon. In five seasons Gordon has only had one 1000 yard season. He hasn’t even reached 900 yards rushing the past two seasons and his career rushing average is 4.0. He’s averaged under 4 yards a carry in four of his five seasons. One reason he doesn’t produce much is because he’s had injuries.
How would you compare the offensive lines each has played behind and could that possibly narrow the gap?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Gordon has never played behind our line.

Our run blocking was awful in several games last season. Zeke had to push the pile to get yards in games last season. There wasn’t a lot of room to run last season. Gordon is a big step down from Zeke.

aria

Reaction score
How do people not understand this?
Probably like a lot of other players we’ve had (ie Jones), they’re great and we’re loaded with “talent” but if we let Zeke walk in a year or two the narrative will change for a lot of people to “he was overrated and overpaid, it was all the O line” or “he never lived up to his contract” or “we can find just as effective RB’s in free agency or the draft that are much cheaper” but homers gotta home so until he changes uniforms they won’t dare speak against he who can do no wrong.