Melvin Gordon's contract vs Zeke's contract

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yet they were somehow still ranked as the second best run blocking team in the league. I’d hate to see him behind a line like Barkley had that was ranked 25th.

That’s because Zeke put up over 1350 yards. He made a number of runs out of nothing. That run blocking stat is very misleading.

aria

Reaction score
the only reason I give them a bit of a pass is because he’s such an electric playmaker. It’s hard not to fall in love with a guy like that. Especially paired with Odell. It was the wrong move but entirely understandable
I love Barkley off the field and think he’s a lot of fun to watch but I couldn’t help but fall out my chair laughing and feeling bad for Barkley at the sane time when they drafted him.

We’ll probably never see what he’s fully capable of even if the Giants do draft a tackle in the first, their O line is trash and by the time they get it fixed Barkley may not be on the team or be past his prime both of which are good for us.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I just posted to you that our run blocking wasn’t that good last season. I saw very little of the Chargers last season so I can’t speak to their OL but Gordon’s career numbers aren’t anything to write home about. He’s not nearly as powerful between the tackles as Zeke. Zeke consistently pushed the pile for 4 to 5 yards last season. He picks up a lot of tough yards. Gordon isn’t nearly as productive and he’s had trouble staying healthy.
He didn’t consistently push the pile 4-5 yards, he occasionally did it If he didn’t it consistently his YPC would be much higher than it was.

Proof

Reaction score
People need to understand that being durable doesn't make you a better football player when on the field.

If you aren't overly elusive, don't break tackles at a high rate, are an average receiver, and your production is easily replaced at multiple points(Alfred Morris & Pollard) you can't possibly be in the discussion for the best back in the league.

What? Being durable is absolutely an attribute as a running back. Especially when dish out punishment as well. It’s definitely a feather in his cap when compared to his contemporaries. And what’s this avg receiver stuff?

he’s not the best rb in the league imo. It’s mccaffrey and possibly Barkley, but he’s the only guy in the convo every year since he arrived

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Fair enough. That apply to QBs and their weapons too?

QBs are judged on their numbers and their W/L record. Receivers are judged on production. Skill position players have to produce.

aria

Reaction score
That’s because Zeke put up over 1350 yards. He made a number of runs out of nothing. That run blocking stat is very misleading.
Ahhhhh...as always, Zeke’s total yards are the only legitimate stat that matters or tells the whole picture. O lines stats and players? Throw those out the window, worthless :rolleyes:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He didn’t consistently push the pile 4-5 yards, he occasionally did it If he didn’t it consistently his YPC would be much higher than it was.

He did it pretty consistently to average 4.5 a carry. There wasn’t a lot of room last season to run which is why our offense was so pass heavy. There’s a reason Dak had to throw so much last season.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
He did it pretty consistently to average 4.5 a carry. There wasn’t a lot of room last season to run which is why our offense was so pass heavy.
Pass happy was one of the reasons we didn’t score or move the ball much until 4th quarter when the Defenses softened up

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ahhhhh...as always, Zeke’s total yards are the only legitimate stat that matters or tells the whole picture. O lines stats and players? Throw those out the window, worthless :rolleyes:

Stats tell you whether a player is producing. Numbers put skill position players in the Hall of Fame. They’re judged on their numbers.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
He did it pretty consistently to average 4.5 a carry. There wasn’t a lot of room last season to run which is why our offense was so pass heavy. There’s a reason Dak had to throw so much last season.

We were pass heavy because carrot couldn't carry the water as a coach and we lost to teams we should have easily beat and because we were behind not because we couldn't run.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually he is. And his contract is 48 Million for the first four years, which is all that matters. The 15 Million per year number is inflated because they added years to give him that "highest paid RB" title and spread the cap hit for the bonuses out.
Melvin Gordon is a TOTAL threat out of the backfield. Zeke is not. The talent level is FAR closer than their contracts.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Pass happy was one of the reasons we didn’t score or move the ball much until 4th quarter when the Defenses softened up

We got off to slow starts but we moved the ball a lot, which is why we ranked number one in offense, we just didn’t get the most out of our drives. We had to settle for a lot of field goals from an unreliable kicker.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He was damn near split on yards before and after contact. He had 678 yards before contact and 679 yards after contact. That comes out to average 2.25 yards per carry each. If he was constantly pushing the pile his yards after contact should be much higher.

Compare to Henry who averaged 1.9 yards before contact and 3.2 yards after contact.

Compare to Gordon. He was 1.9 before and after contact.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It’s not even close between Zeke and Gordon. In five seasons Gordon has only had one 1000 yard season. He hasn’t even reached 900 yards rushing the past two seasons and his career rushing average is 4.0. He’s averaged under 4 yards a carry in four of his five seasons. One reason he doesn’t produce much is because he’s had injuries.
I love the fantasy people create that says Zeke would produce exactly as he has anywhere.

I'm sure if we put him on the Jets he'd be leading the league in rushing etc.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
QBs are judged on their numbers and their W/L record. Receivers are judged on production. Skill position players have to produce.
Good, as long as you’re consistent and don’t judge one player based upon their help and disregard it for another. I have no problem with it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He was damn near split on yards before and after contact. He had 678 yards before contact and 679 yards after contact. That comes out to average 2.25 yards per carry each. If he was constantly pushing the pile his yards after contact should be much higher.

Compare to Henry who averaged 1.9 yards before contact and 3.2 yards after contact.

Compare to Gordon. He was 1.9 before and after contact.

All anyone cares about is that he rushed for 1357 yards with 12 TDs and averaged 4.5 a carry. That’s a very solid season for an RB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I love the fantasy people create that says Zeke would produce exactly as he has anywhere.

I'm sure if we put him on the Jets he'd be leading the league in rushing etc.

You made one of the most ridiculous statements ever the other day claiming Zeke is it even good. It’s obvious you don’t like him.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Actually he is. And his contract is 48 Million for the first four years, which is all that matters. The 15 Million per year number is inflated because they added years to give him that "highest paid RB" title and spread the cap hit for the bonuses out.

Wouldn't call it inflated. As the signing and option bonuses fall off, his base salary goes up. Total cap charge deviates from the $15M average by $2.4M - at most - and that's in the direction that favors the the team by being less. That's kind of what you would like to see so a player's cap charge doesn't exceed the average by an unacceptable amount. Additionally, it puts you in a position where his entire cap charge in later years is calculated solely by base salary, which means there's less risk for the team as the player ages.

I've been out-of-the-loop and hadn't ever looked at Zeke's contract. At first glance, I'm a big fan.

To be honest, Zeke's contract makes a strong argument to sign high-performing 1st round picks about halfway through their rookie contract. You leverage those dirt-cheap rookie contract years to absorb some of the prorated bonus money, and then when the player hits 29 or 30-years-old, he's on a pay-for-play contract. All the while, his cap hit never has to exceed the average by more than a couple million.

Hats off to the Jones' on this one. For Zeke, it's kind of like Arnold said in Twins, "you moved too soon".