Memo to Dak: Sign the damn contract now!

glimmerman

Reaction score
If he is wanting shorter terms then I wonder how many years. If you look wentz and goff both got 4 year deals. It seems 4 years is more common now than 5 or 7 so I don’t think JJ would have that much of a problem.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I actually agree with most this.........notice I said IF the current offer matched or was more than Goff money. So I'm not suggesting he take a discount by any means. But Dak admitted he didn't deserve Wilson money ($35M ) until he wins a Super Bowl. But my main point or an attempt was the country is tanking financially and it's not a reach to think it's going impact the league at some point, perhaps not in a major way but still. Just not a good time to be fighting over a contract that where you are set to make over $32M a year......just my opinion.

And it's my opinion that using this crisis that will end yet in the following years Prescott shouldn't have to have settle for less money in those years because of what's happening now. If that's has so much of an impact on things why aren't fans all excited about ALL of the contracts signed this off season? After all if the economy is tanking why aren't the fans all excited about all contracts getting signed? Why is it just Prescott's contract, because fans are trying to come up with any argument they can think of for either not signing Prescott or him taking the contract the fans thinks he should take, never mind what Prescott wants.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Are you assuming that? Im sure there are little things. But how many years are you really going to guarantee on a 4 years contract? 3 years makes sense. I cant imagine Dak's party wants a 4 year deal with all 4 years guaranteed.
These have to be the things holding it up. If the money is close then it should have been done by now. And for all we know maybe it is agreed on and they are waiting to announce it. Maybe JJ likes the attention being on the team.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I actually agree with most this.........notice I said IF the current offer matched or was more than Goff money. So I'm not suggesting he take a discount by any means. But Dak admitted he didn't deserve Wilson money ($35M ) until he wins a Super Bowl. But my main point or an attempt was the country is tanking financially and it's not a reach to think it's going impact the league at some point, perhaps not in a major way but still. Just not a good time to be fighting over a contract that where you are set to make over $32M a year......just my opinion.

Sorry, but it still sounds like you're saying Dak should be mindful of others whereas things haven't affected his industry yet. Honestly, why should he care? Because the optics look bad because others might not feel good about their situations? So what? He was the good guy last year when Zeke wanted a new deal with time left on his rookie deal but now he's the bad guy when it's actually his turn? Damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to public opinion so you're best to ignore it if you're a player. Most do, and rightfully so.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Sorry, but it still sounds like you're saying Dak should be mindful of others whereas things haven't affected his industry yet. Honestly, why should he care? Because the optics look bad because others might not feel good about their situations? So what? He was the good guy last year when Zeke wanted a new deal with time left on his rookie deal but now he's the bad guy when it's actually his turn? Damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to public opinion so you're best to ignore it if you're a player. Most do, and rightfully so.
I heard mahomes saying he may take a team friendly deal to keep talent around him. When it’s time to do the deal I will bet his deal will make him the highest paid QB. Lol.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Let me first say I'm a Dak fan.....heart and soul. But if the current offer pays him Goff money or more, he playing a dangerous game for many reasons.

• This isn't the same country it was at the end of the season. The economy is tanking, we are facing record-breaking unemployment. The last thing fans/media wanna see is a disgruntling player arguing over whether or not to accept a contract paying him $33-34M vs $35-37M.
  • Who knows how this is going to affect the league financially a year from now. I read tweet Friday that implied it not impossible to think this thing could force the league to cut the salary cap for the first time ever. If that happens, the currents offer goes away.....fast.
  • League office is laying off employees. Hell, even the Goodell has voluntarily slashed his salary from $44M to 0.
  • He could himself quarantined for reasons we know but can't discuss here.
  • Finally, DO NOT underestimate the signing of Dalton. He appears to everything a team in leadership, work ethic and as noted in the tweet below, he's damn excited to be here. No, he hasn't played at Dak's level over the last few years but there's no reason to think you can't win with him.
  • What if he decides to play on the tag rather than accepting the current offer and injury forces him the miss several games and Dalton lights it up? Now we have a real mess (LOL).
  • Yes, we have heard Stephen and Jerry say over and over again, Dak's the guy. But did we not hear Romo was the guy also before the start of the 2016 season. My point is strange things can happen but if all reports are true, Daks has a good offer on the table. Maybe not exactly what he had hoped but good enough NOT to be moaning over a few million bucks, especially with the direction the economy is headed.
SIGN THE CONTRACT NOW DAK!!!!!

Shut up and let the man grieve for his brother. He has lots of time to sign so calm the hell down. :facepalm:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I heard mahomes saying he may take a team friendly deal to keep talent around him. When it’s time to do the deal I will bet his deal will make him the highest paid QB. Lol.

Lol. Mahomes won't be the one negotiating the contract of which he gets a slice.

plasticman

Reaction score
Dak’s won nothing. Your definition of a winner and others differ. Under your premise, 9-7 is all it takes. JJ has trained you well over the last 25 years. There are real winners amongst us who want to win a SB. Dak’s not getting us there unless he’s surrounded by loads of talent.
Nevertheless, it is not my definition, it is THE definition of a winner.

My point is, by definition, he is not a loser. You cannot accurately describe him as a loser. I know this is pure semantics but not winning a championship in his first 4 years in the league doesn't make him a loser.

As a fan, am I satisfied? Of course not. That isnt even the point. My point is that if you think Dalton is a better choice, or even close to an equal choice then maybe Dak should hold out for a few weeks of the regular season. It would remind fans what it feels like to have below average ability at the most important position. Thats something we havent seen since 2015.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Lol. Mahomes won't be the one negotiating the contract of which he gets a slice.
And I don’t see mahomes telling his agent to make it team friendly. They set back and let the agent take control. The agent gets something like 3% so they want as much as they can get. Whomever mahomes agent is is setting there licking his chops. Lol.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The herd is on and said they offered 32 million and turned it down. Last offer was a 4 year deal that was supposedly way better offer. Likely close to goff money. It was turned down. In comes Dalton. He thinks MM may have something to do with Dalton coming in.

Dalton and Daks first 4 years look really close in stats. Except Dalton had more playoffs. It’s a team game.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Winston had better numbers then dak aside from mistakes

He had 30 freakin' interceptions. That's not something you list as an aside. No one cares if you throw for 6,000 yards if you're turning the ball over almost 2 times a week through the air. He fumbled 12 times as well. This is the hysteria and panic I speak of with posts like yours.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I feel that with thsi team We can win the same with Dak or Dalton... what do you guys think
Daltons first 4 years he had a good team around him and had fairly similar numbers. I don’t know. I kind of agree with cowherd right now in that this signing could be a game of chicken. The last offer to Dak was supposed to be a 4 year deal and a very good one. Not sure how good but was turned down. JJ maybe getting ready for Dak not signing the deal or the tag and setting out the year. Or if he signs and don’t show up until he has to and don’t have the new system down as much as Dalton then maybe we go with Dalton.

This is setting up to be a signing or a ugly situation.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The herd is on and said they offered 32 million and turned it down. Last offer was a 4 year deal that was supposedly way better offer. Likely close to goff money. It was turned down. In comes Dalton. He thinks MM may have something to do with Dalton coming in.

Dalton and Daks first 4 years look really close in stats. Except Dalton had more playoffs. It’s a team game.

Here's my answer for The Heard that thinks signing Dalton was more than just signing a QB as a backup insurance policy. If it was anything but that would the Cowboys only have signed him to a 1 year contract for a base salary of only 3 mil with possible bonus money that nobody thinks he'll earn? It's not like he's a rookie who got a rookie contract, he is a QB going into his 10th season who wore out his welcome with the team that drafted him and now signs a backup QB deal.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He had 30 freakin' interceptions. That's not something you list as an aside. No one cares if you throw for 6,000 yards if you're turning the ball over almost 2 times a week through the air. He fumbled 12 times as well. This is the hysteria and panic I speak of with posts like yours.
Winston will be a backup somewhere. Maybe.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Here's my answer for The Heard that thinks signing Dalton was more than just signing a QB as a backup insurance policy. If it was anything but that would the Cowboys only have signed him to a 1 year contract for a base salary of only 3 mil with possible bonus money that nobody thinks he'll earn? It's not like he's a rookie who got a rookie contract, he is a QB going into his 10th season who wore out his welcome with the team that drafted him and now signs a backup QB deal.
Agreed. I actually wondered why if he signed so cheap that JJ didn’t do a 2 year deal. Or even 3 years with clauses to get out after 2 years. Then if he ended up starting and doing well we would have a cheap starter. Lol. Even as a backup it should have been a 2 year deal. IMO.

But the signing is a sign they are doing something else.

Darkhound

Reaction score
Agreed. I actually wondered why if he signed so cheap that JJ didn’t do a 2 year deal. Or even 3 years with clauses to get out after 2 years. Then if he ended up starting and doing well we would have a cheap starter. Lol. Even as a backup it should have been a 2 year deal. IMO.

What is that something else?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I honestly think it's nothing more than a 1 year insurance policy and that it's 1 year because they think that Dinucci with the rocket arm that they drafted will be the backup QB after this season since they just released Rush.