Message to the players- When's it going to be about championships?

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Could you imagine Jimmy's response to this HotBoyz crap. Also can you picture Charles Haley, Darren Woodson, Jim Jeffcoat, Ken Norton jr running around saying "we're the HotBoyz". I truly think Haley would have beat up anyone on the team for saying that.

But Haley doesn't know the HotBoyz lifestyle, he just knows 3 SB titles and being in the ROH.

They all went in on the white house for an extra place to study film and a close place to sleep so they could be early for practice the next day.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Could you imagine Jimmy's response to this HotBoyz crap. Also can you picture Charles Haley, Darren Woodson, Jim Jeffcoat, Ken Norton jr running around saying "we're the HotBoyz". I truly think Haley would have beat up anyone on the team for saying that.

But Haley doesn't know the HotBoyz lifestyle, he just knows 3 SB titles and being in the ROH.
I can imagine Jimmy having full knowledge of “The White House” and doing absolutely nothing about it.

Selective memory makes for a nice “hot take” but doesn’t often stand up to scrutiny:

As to Haley, he was more likely to take a leak on their car than fight them, although he was a notorious bully and an all around awful human being.. In fact, he did just that to a teammate. He also took a swing at his head coach (Seifert). Wonder if “Iron Jimmy” would have put up with that? I imagine he would Have done nothing at all..

Troy commented on the infamous “asthma field” incident just a couple of weeks ago after Jimmy was announced for the HOF. He said that Jimmy picked his moments to explode and that it was calculated. He said that it was intentional to blow up on a no-name camp body but would have been never done that with a star player.

we all like to talk about the good ol days and how everything was different back then and how stuff would never be tolerated

The “Landry Mob” went insane when Jerry and Jimmy came in. After all, Landry was pure class and ran a class operation. Don’t worry about when the owner was taking money from the mob and gambling on Cowboy games, or when Hollywood was snorting coke during games from a dispenser he had in his pants, and don’t forget about the points shaving allegations with White, Dorsett, Hill and Springs.

The “Jimmy Mob” go crazy about everything since except maybe Parcells, except for the White House where Erik Williams, Irvin and company basically had a real life Caligula scene going on that *everyone* knew about and that was just one of many. Jimmy’s watched had some of the most debauched and criminal stuff ever going on and he knew about all of it. In additional to Haley, Williams was arrested for battery of a woman twice and had the infamous dui when he crashed into a truck. Nates domestic violence. Irvin stabbed a teammate in the neck on the practice field with a pair of scissors and could have killed him

Now, we will likely see the “Garrett Mob” poke their heads up at the first sign of trouble with McCarthy and talk about how Garrett always focused on finding the right type of guys with high character. Then we have Brent who killed a teammate, Dez who beat up his own mother, Hardy who beat up a women and threw her on a pile of guns, etc etc

Every era has their loyalist who remember everything in perfect detail except for the ugly ones. Everyone talks about Parcells being such a hardass but overlook the fact that he enabled Lawrence Taylor’s drug use for years and never took meaningful action.

How many of those named above were cut? The answer is none.

it’s the same now as it was then but now we have the internet to moan about it

And here we are, a bunch of hypocrites ranting about Demarcus Lawrence tweeting about the Hot Boyz. Let me know when he kills someone, beats up a woman or breaks a dozen laws in a single day like happened in the “good old days” when players had such strong character and I may consider being outraged along with you.

Last edited:

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Agree with all of this! Jimmy cut Swervin Curvin Richards the last game of the season before a SB run because he fumbled in mop up time. If you weren't helping the team, you were gone. This team uis embarrassing how it loves the Cowboy lifestyle without having to lift a finger winning wise.

And Michael Irvin would show up hung over and be puking during practice, Emmitt Smith would routinely fall asleep during meetings, and Charles Haley would show up naked and perform certain acts.

Kwyn

Reaction score
You're dealing with a different generation of players. If Jimmy went back to coaching today his head would explode.

Today's players grew up with social media. They're going to use it to market themselves and see nothing wrong with it.
/snort
:lmao::laugh::muttley:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I really don't think it has much to do with the generational differences.
The Patriots win consistently with players of this generation. Why can't the Cowboys?
The difference is COACHING!!!.
Yes, talent is a factor, but many teams are talented.
It's coaching.

I think many forget that the Cowboys of the 90s were hardly choir boys. .
Michael and his scissor-gate and his "Can I tell you who I am" hooker coke sniff fest.
Haley whipping his thang out in team meetings.
Stepnoski and his pot smoking.
Erik Williams and his wild car ride, which ultimately ruined his career and prevented him from getting into the Hall of Fame.
Nate Newton's domestic abuse situation.
Trash talking. Provoking Jerry Rice into a pre-game tussle.
If social media were around in that day, the Cowboys would be the top trending news and information.
But …

When you win, those issues don't really surface. And we won because of coaching.
Bill Belichick is a GREAT COACH. That's why the Patriots went to 9 Super Bowls during his tenure, winning six.
Despite spygate, deflategate, spygate2, weak division, they still win.

Guess who Belichick consulted with when he took over the Patriots' job? Jimmy Johnson.

So there's really no excuses. You can win with players of this generation. You just have to have the coach who can work with players of this day and age.
But that's no different than Jimmy Johnson working with the players of his day and age.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our GM is getting hammered on his yacht instead of working the senior bowl. He does not give a crap about the team. If he did he would at least pretend to be a real NFL GM.

You don't think a plane can take Jerry to the Senior Bowl? He has always attended before, so why not this year?

Besides, are we even sure Jerry is currently in the yacht? I think the reports were only that his yacht was docked in Miami, not that he was in it, and certainly not that he was chained to it with no ability to go anywhere else.

In any case, I don't want Jerry evaluating talent at the Senior Bowl anyway. The guys better able to do that for the Cowboys will be there.

Last edited:

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I don't disagree but would add TO under contract was sent packing for his disruption as was Dez

I hear ya! I'm just saying I think overall there was a fear factor on how you played day in and day out. Jimmy had his favorites and there were bad boys but they also showed up on Sundays.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Agree with all of this! Jimmy cut Swervin Curvin Richards the last game of the season before a SB run because he fumbled in mop up time. If you weren't helping the team, you were gone. This team uis embarrassing how it loves the Cowboy lifestyle without having to lift a finger winning wise.

Jimmy cut Richards to make a point. He wouldn't have cut Emmitt or any other superstar. He even said it. So let's not overblow that issue.
It's like the bully beating up on the scrawny kid. He looks so impressive annihilating the weak kid that those who aren't scrawny are impressed and fearful enough not to challenge the bully. But the bully knows that approach wouldn't work on anybody but the scrawny kid.

Jimmy also sat Irvin for missing the team plane. But he only sat Irvin for one series. :laugh:
Jimmy wasn't stupid. He knew Irvin was going to catch a plane to get to the game because that's how passionate Michael was about football. He knew Irvin was a key component in the Cowboys' success. He wasn't going to sit Irvin for the entire game, but he would have a lesser player.

Last edited:

Miller

Reaction score
And Michael Irvin would show up hung over and be puking during practice, Emmitt Smith would routinely fall asleep during meetings, and Charles Haley would show up naked and perform certain acts.

Point is they would still perform as a top player on Sunday. Jimmy dealt with "characters" at Miami and Dallas. The main thing was "do you show up to play."

Miller

Reaction score
Jimmy cut Richards to make a point. He wouldn't have cut Emmitt or any other superstar. He even said it. So let's not overblown that issue.
It's like the bully beating up on the scrawny kid. He looks so impressive annihilating the weak kid that those who aren't scrawny are impressed and fearful enough not to challenge the bully. But the bully knows that approach wouldn't work on anybody but the scrawny kid.

Jimmy also sat Irvin for missing the team plane. But it only sat Irvin for one series. :laugh:
Jimmy wasn't stupid. He knew Irvin was going to catch plane to get to the game because that's how passionate Michael was about football. He knew Irvin was a key component in the Cowboys' success. He wasn't going to sit Irvin for the entire game, but he would have a lesser player.

I get all this but as I said above, Jimmy knew who would show up on Sundays. He played favorites but also instilled some fear. That is why Troy said he hated him at times but respected him and why he hated Switzer. Troy knew Jimmy's goal was one thing...winning. He pushed buttons because he knew there guys he could count on week in and week out.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Point is they would still perform as a top player on Sunday. Jimmy dealt with "characters" at Miami and Dallas. The main thing was "do you show up to play."
That’s fine. If that’s all that matters, so be it.

What annoys me are all of the fans who distort reality and want to applaud the “old days” when every Cowboy was a White Knight who live for football, God and family, in that order. Nowadays those fans would work in “Murica” in between God and family

It’s a laughable farce.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I remember hearing from Jimmy Johnson's former players, stating that he'd call them into his office and tell them Jimmy's expectations Jimmy didn't want to hear about what the player had going on in his life. Including family, outside employment, and lifestyles. He'd tell them if it's not about "winning football games" then they can kiss all that other stuff goodbye.

I concur with Jimmy. I don't care about what these players do via Twitter and what self promotion they got hustling. All I care about is us winning a 6th Super Bowl. Everything else is "nonsense."

I hope MM will instill this same attitude in this team.
look I realize this narrative of lack of deep playoff runs and SBs seem to have gotten out of control as to the why or the who is to blame... Its tougher then we think and I want another NFCCG as much as anyone..look around slobber all over the Chiefs all you want but it took them 50yrs to get to a SB, took Philly 60yrs to win their first some have never been to one let alone won one..Reid has NEVER won won its been 15years since hes been to one, yet hes being deemed the best ever outside of BillB , seriously, its like he gets pass but here the sky is falling..

every year we say why cant this be us but done realize those teams just won their first or had twice as long to wait on their next one..yes this sux, I get it but at least weve been relative we are not bottom dwellers, weve had some bad luck in the payoffs on painful outs..i feel ya...

we have FIVE been to 8? so we have been waiting 25years to win our SIXTH... you have to see this from that perspective and when we go back to 25yrs we won 3 in 7 years..we got spoiled but its not a drought narrative that shares the same pain as other teams..

it gets old all the oh they dont care about winning , its all about money etc etc.. they all care but in this day and age with SM and huge TV contracts that has led to the biggest contracts in NFL history has change the landscape, its about money to every owner and player but that does not mean they dont want to win and are not trying..

We can NOT compare that old adage in an ERA that even in Jimmys era he left right before this new Cap and FA era and before this all blew up to a circus in all of SPORTs..

I guess if we sucked hard for 4years straight like double digit losses and high draft picks we can get back more quickly, some with luck yes the 9ers who have been bottom dwellers have done a nice rebuild job but think how good they got since even last year too a freak injury to JG to get yet another stud defender, he doesnt get hurt they dont lose as much, then why? they have 5 RBs to get lucky a few stuck..

some of these teams have got there quicker but they had to suck hard and unfortunately we dont suck bad enough ever , what one year we got zeke 4-12 thats it so not sure how we would wish for that because this tea as is wont lose double digit and get into the top 5 in drafts year in and year out..

lest simply hope MM is the final piece needed to take us from relative to the show..

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
You forgot about Jimmy skipping around the practice field clicking his heels. Now there's an image! :lmao:

Miller

Reaction score
That’s fine. If that’s all that matters, so be it.

what annoys me are all of the fans who distort reality and want to applaud the “old days” when every Cowboy was a White Knight who loved for football, god and family, in that order.

It’s a laughable farce.

I don't think any Cowboy fan thinks that. Everyone in the 90s realizes we won with a bunch of people who weren't "character" guys. That is why people hated JG acting like he needed RKG everywhere. I didn't care what Irvin or Hayley did as long as they dominated on Sunday. That is what I miss. The 70s Cowboys were the same way and had characters of their own. The point of this thread, I think, is that I don't care what they want to call themselves or act like, just show up on Sunday and win and all of this will seem fun. But when lawsuits over HotBoyz seem more important than showing up on Sunday I have an issue. The 90s team could have been the worst group of people on earth but most knew that 1) Jimmy had them ready and 2) They were hungry to win.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hear ya! I'm just saying I think overall there was a fear factor on how you played day in and day out. Jimmy had his favorites and there were bad boys but they also showed up on Sundays.

I don't disagree. I think McCarthy will have a lot of leeway with players during this Honeymoon period and winning out of the gates this coming season I think will be important. If the team struggles or shows a lot of inconsistency then Jerry is more apt to get more involved.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I remember hearing from Jimmy Johnson's former players, stating that he'd call them into his office and tell them Jimmy's expectations Jimmy didn't want to hear about what the player had going on in his life. Including family, outside employment, and lifestyles. He'd tell them if it's not about "winning football games" then they can kiss all that other stuff goodbye.

I concur with Jimmy. I don't care about what these players do via Twitter and what self promotion they got hustling. All I care about is us winning a 6th Super Bowl. Everything else is "nonsense."

well, somebody needs to give that message to Jerry. he is in the way of it being about championships. when he goes into business with players and allows them to conduct business meetings in the facilities and brings people to meet the players and hand shake...…...its about marketing, sales....

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I get all this but as I said above, Jimmy knew who would show up on Sundays. He played favorites but also instilled some fear. That is why Troy said he hated him at times but respected him and why he hated Switzer. Troy knew Jimmy's goal was one thing...winning. He pushed buttons because he knew there guys he could count on week in and week out.
Fair enough.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Ten years of the same ole same ole.

It didn't matter how many good players this team had because every year they would only perform on how it was coached. MEDICORE! Coach McCarthy no doubt, will change this teams attitude.

aria

Reaction score
That is fine, that is how you feel then that is how you feel. Jerry is not going to bow down to what you or anyone else wants. It is a waste of time complaining over and over about something that is not going to change. McClay is there and has done a great job for this team and I fully expect him to continue. He is someone that jerry and Stephen listen to and I don't see that changing.
Isn’t this entire site about people giving their opinions?
So was it McClays idea to get Jaylon? That has Jerry written all over it.

What about Taco? That was horrible.

Hardy? More Jerry.

LVE? More Jerry. There was a reason he didn’t go higher and the warning signs were there, he may very well be one hit away from a career ending injury.