Michael Gallup is gonna be a beast

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Having a great #2 means so many things:

1. He can step up when #1 is hurt
2. He makes teams have to play more straight up schemes. No (or less) bracket coverage on your #1.
3. It puts so much pressure on play calling for the opposing DC. They can't just assume the ball is coming #1's way all night long.
4. It really opens up the middle of the field for your slot WRs and TEs

Which is why having a healthy Cobb at #3 is going to be a major problem for defenses.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
I have to say that Gallup reminds me a little of a young Antonio Brown....seriously.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I have to say that Gallup reminds me a little of a young Antonio Brown....seriously.
This is a better comparison than Harper. Harper was 6-3, and was great at jump balls. He could really go up and get it

Gallup reminds me of AB...a poor man's AB right now.

IceBowler

Reaction score
This ^^^^^

Gallup was a beast. From what I saw on YouTube (as, I was born in late 92, so before my time), he seems almost a bit like Alvin Harper.

Naw .. Alvin was a Champion high-jumper in school a big body that could FLY. Just throw it up and Alvin Harper would go up .. and come down with it. Broke my damn heart when Free Agency took him. God, I hate FA and the Cap!

MikeT22

Reaction score
I've had high hopes for him since he was drafted. He showed flashes last year, but I think he's going to be a major factor for us.

IceBowler

Reaction score
Is it possible we have two number one wr's.

Very likely - it's just that one of them will be some other team's No.1.

Free Agency and the Cap will destroy this team very quickly.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Naw .. Alvin was a Champion high-jumper in school a big body that could FLY. Just throw it up and Alvin Harper would go up .. and come down with it. Broke my damn heart when Free Agency took him. God, I hate FA and the Cap!

Meh, hence before my time, but I suppose I could still argue that Gallup has a similar function. Not saying he's as good as Harper, but he's a good WR blanket for Dak and is a legitimate threat if teams try to take Cooper away. And he is usually open, which is critical.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Meh, hence before my time, but I suppose I could still argue that Gallup has a similar function. Not saying he's as good as Harper, but he's a good WR blanket for Dak and is a legitimate threat if teams try to take Cooper away. And he is usually open, which is critical.

Alvin Harper was the ultimate decoy, he added to the team as a "take the top off the defense" guy but he couldn't dream of making the kind of contested catches that Gallup made all day today.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
..I gotta say. I think we've actually created a clone of the 90s team..

If I remember correctly, Troy said something along the lines of "This team is as talented, if not more, than any team I was apart of.."

This was right before the game, so obviously the defense is still..questionable..I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I'm getting my hopes up

Love what Gallup has been doing thus far

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Alvin Harper was the ultimate decoy, he added to the team as a "take the top off the defense" guy but he couldn't dream of making the kind of contested catches that Gallup made all day today.

Yes, and I think Gallup did a lot of taking the top off of the Giants defence today. I'd say he compliments Cooper as well as Harper complimented Irvin. Which is critical cuz Aikman was pointing out a lot of the similarities of the 90s Triplets and our new era of Triplets. Have to have a Harper to go with an Irvin.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gallup is part of the reason that I said the Devin Smith hype was overrated in camp and got some backlash. There is simply no room for Devin here and not sure why they kept him, he may never see the field and that is a good thing :thumbup:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Troy said something along the lines of "This team is as talented, if not more, than any team I was apart of.."

This was right before the game, so obviously the defense is still..questionable..I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I'm getting my hopes up

Yes he did say that. I'm not to get my hopes up either. But, bloody hell, hard not to with how we looked like a well oiled machine today. I said on another thread. I've been watching the Cowboys since midseason 1999 when I was 6, and this is the best I've ever seen us.

lukin2006

Reaction score
This offence is impressive and Gallup is going to have a monster year. I was a little disappointed that they did not work in some of the depth receivers to get the experience.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

And, offensively, I think he may be right. Our offence couldn't have been better from the second drive on. That was fun knowing we would score when we got the ball as the game carried on.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This offence is impressive and Gallup is going to have a monster year. I was a little disappointed that they did not work in some of the depth receivers to get the experience.

If we do to Washington what basically what we did to the Giants today, I reckon we will. If not, I reckon we will when we play the Dolphins. I expect us to put up at least 40 with how we looked today. It shouldn't even be a contest.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
And, offensively, I think he may be right. Our offence couldn't have been better from the second drive on. That was fun knowing we would score when we got the ball as the game carried on.

I can't recall the last time I've seen any ball game where an offensive game plan worked so well WITHOUT a run game..

That's like..blasphemy..ya know? Lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I can't recall the last time I've seen any ball game where an offensive game plan worked so well WITHOUT a run game..

That's like..blasphemy..ya know? Lol

I completely agree. We really didn't run as much as we are known for. Heck, I was shocked to see us throw the ball on the first play of the game. It was at that moment, it was obvious to me that there's a new sheriff in charge of the playcalling here. Yet, Dak pretty much dictated to the Giants what defence they would run. Quite fun when that happens, isn't it?