Video: Michael Gallup Return-Sports Doctor Provides his expert opinion

DanA

Reaction score
Different this past year. We’ve had a couple of athletes come back in 7 months this year.

Studies I saw had it as something like 10 times more likely to re-do it if you return before 9 months but that's probably getting old now. It's possible with modern medicine and the right "supplements" that's been shortened but it's playing with fire I reckon. I don't think I'd want to be the guinea pig testing new ground.

Sydla

Reaction score
Even if it's week 6, that's a long time to try to win games with the WR group we have.

So many fans are putting faith in Jerry and Stephen to know what to do with the WRs. LOL. I bet those same people thought they knew what they were doing at WR in 2028 too.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
When the brace come off in practice should be the indicator of Gallups recovery.

Sydla

Reaction score
You got that right!
I did not understand why he waited so long to get the operation either?

If I recall, they typically don't do surgery immediately after an ACL tear. I had a family member tear their ACL in a college basketball game and his surgery was about a month after his tore it. I also have a family friend whose college daughter was a cheerleader and tore her ACL and her surgery was 4-5 weeks after the injury. I think they want the swelling to go down completely, etc.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Been following this doctor's channel for a couple of years now. He is very accurate on his timelines for returns.

Gallup probably won't be back until week 10 (week 9 is a bye).

want to lay bets, its by week 5 game 4 probably?? that ridiculous, not happening

if the DC FO who knows a lot more being daily involved in his rehab knew this to be true, they would have gone out and got another WR.facts

but hey good try from behind a cameras being a doctor whos not part of the rehab team for Gallup..if the week of game 1 prep they add a vet wr then we know if not i know hes coming back before game 5 also if its game 11 why isnt he on long term IR to start season?? if that happens then we know..until then stop the guessing.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Even if it's week 6, that's a long time to try to win games with the WR group we have.

So many fans are putting faith in Jerry and Stephen to know what to do with the WRs. LOL. I bet those same people thought they knew what they were doing at WR in 2028 too.
You need to edit the date Sydia but while there should always be some concern when you remove WR1s like Coop, I get it, but this offense is in a way requiring Moore to run
his offense the way it was supposed to be run, thats what most here have been wanting at least, a more Dak friendly dialed down intermediate attack, with more speed and hands, and thats exactly what this offense is looking to be.
Gallup coming back shouldn't have to be rushed, and I dont believe it will be.

Sydla

Reaction score
want to lay bets, its by week 5 game 4 probably?? that ridiculous, not happening

if the DC FO who knows a lot more being daily involved in his rehab knew this to be true, they would have gone out and got another WR.facts

but hey good try from behind a cameras being a doctor whos not part of the rehab team for Gallup..if the week of game 1 prep they add a vet wr then we know if not i know hes coming back before game 5 also if its game 11 why isnt he on long term IR to start season?? if that happens then we know..until then stop the guessing.

LOL.

The opposite is likely true. This team doesnt' admit mistakes until it's often too late. Think about the WRs in 2018. It was clear as day they had a WR problem even in camp but they did nothing until they panicked and traded a 1st round pick for Cooper.

And look at OT. They clearly have an OT problem when it comes to back up OT, which we have seen is an important position for us. They have no real options beyond Ball, who has been pretty terrible.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
He had surgery in February because if inflammation that wouldn't subside. I thought I read infection but could be wrong on that. If he had surgery in February, October would be 8 months and put him back around game 4-8. 8 Months would be a very quick recovery. I don't think week 10 is out of the realm of possibility. Game 4 is probably best case, game 6-8 optimistic but doable and game 10 likely.

Sydla

Reaction score
You need to edit the date Sydia but while there should always be some concern when you remove WR1s like Coop, I get it, but this offense is in a way requiring Moore to run
his offense the way it was supposed to be run, thats what most here have been wanting at least, a more Dak friendly dialed down intermediate attack, with more speed and hands, and thats exactly what this offense is looking to be.

I am not saying Gallup should be rushed back. But he's a key player for this team and an important cog. If he's really out 6 weeks, let's say, WR is a concern especially when the Gallup-replacement, Washington, also went down. The team should have insurance against Washington and/or Gallup coming back later than anticipated. It would cost them little to add a veteran WR like a Will Fuller.

PS - Let's remember the Cowboys aren't all that forthcoming about injuries and timelines, so don't be surprised if Gallup isn't back by mid-October.

blueblood70

Reaction score
First, the guy is a Dr.

Not sure why all the animosity about his opinion. He should know better than us laymen, about an injury.

That said, I thought I read a couple months back that Gallup underwent a new type of surgery that can potentially make his recovery time faster. Not sure if that was PR puff piece or if it had any merit. Interestingly, I'm unable to find it upon a google search and I don't recall the exact source.
not really

. unless hes part of Gallups actual rehab team, hes guessing .i am 52 had an acl replaced in 2018 at 48.. i had no help, no team ,and not at the peak age as an athlete is in, and it only took me 9 months to go FULL go back at wakeboarding , snowboarding, surfing etc.

Im more of an expert then doctor right, i mean i went though it and at a older age and didnt follow rehab protocols, went 5 times and then stopped. Just did home stretches and exercise myself, was back up on the water and snow in 6 months but took it easy until 9 months, zero setbacks to this day sand still doing flips and tricks at close to 53..

tired of the guessing, yet its a doctor making an educated guess, but many players have come back full go within 9 months or earlier. its the individual and his PT, docs, trainers who make the difference.

the fact the FO hasnt put him on IR pr brought in a vet WR says otherwise and they know firsthand what's going on with Gallups rehab.,.like 24-7 insider knowledge.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I got blasted on this board bc I said the WR position is a mess and Gallup ain't gonna be but week 4. Now we talking 10?
no WE in it
some people from afar making a guess. we will know more by how the FO reacts the week going into the season and who goes on IR and if they go bring in vet WR..thta will be the tell tale sign..If Gallup doesnt start the season on IR with roster space needed hes coming back before game 6..they wouldn't waste spot needing depth of they felt game 11 was the target,

Sydla

Reaction score
no WE in it
some people from afar making a guess. we will know more by how the FO reacts the week going into the season and who goes on IR and if they go bring in vet WR..thta will be the tell tale sign..If Gallup doesnt start the season on IR with roster space needed hes coming back before game 6..they wouldn't waste spot needing depth of they felt game 11 was the target,

They should add a vet now to get working with Dak and the other WRs. Worst case scenario, you could cut said vet because he likely wouldnt' cost that much anyway. Its the smart play because it gives you insurance in case Gallup needs more time, etc.

But this team always seems to take the riskiest approach, never buying themselves some leeway or flexibility. And people wonder why we've been one of the worst teams when it comes to postseason success the last 25 years? LOL.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's right. I believe we have guys that can play ball. "I believe in our guys"? :p

It's juts a matter of Moore and Dak being able to make effective use of their skills. With Noah Brown not being further along, I don't have a lot of confidence. Making zeke often take himself out with an unplanned buy obvious Tony Pollard play...not sure I have confidence.

If we plan ahead, and do it right...I think Dak can sling it around the short to intermediate routes....with Brown being a security blanket /redzone threat. CeeDee and a couple youngsters with exciting YAC. Tony, zeke, and TEs filling in.

The real question is Moore...and solid O-line.

erod

Reaction score
Like most doctors these days, this guy is clueless.

The medical community is overrun with hacks with zero credibility.

Sydla

Reaction score
Like most doctors these days, this guy is clueless.

The medical community is overrun with hacks with zero credibility.

Oh boy.

I hope the doctor who actually operated on Gallup isn't "clueless". But alas, erod has concluded "most" doctors are hacks and clueless so that doesn't seem to be good news for Gallup.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That's right. I believe we have guys that can play ball. "I believe in our guys"? :p

It's juts a matter of Moore and Dak being able to make effective use of their skills. With Noah Brown not being further along, I don't have a lot of confidence. Making zeke often take himself out with an unplanned buy obvious Tony Pollard play...not sure I have confidence.

If we plan ahead, and do it right...I think Dak can sling it around the short to intermediate routes....with Brown being a security blanket /redzone threat. CeeDee and a couple youngsters with exciting YAC. Tony, zeke, and TEs filling in.

The real question is Moore...and solid O-line.
Not that we dont have the ability to play long ball, just the ability to do so when appropriate is the key.
This offense has some speed and hands that can create separation for once, and that is refreshing.