Michael Irvin: I would consider bringing in Manziel

marius

Reaction score
we need to acept the reallity, if jerry wants manziel, and the cost is low, manziel will be a cowboy

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I heard Broaddus say on Talking Cowboys that he decided (against his own wishes) to sit down and take a close look at Manziel's play this season and broke down every throw because it might be his job to give an analysis of him sooner or later - the result?

He said he was actually taken back by his accuracy and some of the plays he made. Breaking down the tape changed his opinion of Manziel on the field and he thinks he could be a very effective QB in the NFL.

Does that mitigate his off the field risk? No.

But take it however you want to - that's from a former scout.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Agree with Mike and understand where he is coming from.

You win with talent. The 90's Cowboys had knuckleheads galore that partied HARD... but they won.

Garrett didn't go out partying with them nor did he join them very often on the actual field.

Talent > all.

Very true that you need to be able to trust your QB. But you aren't handing Johnny the reins right now. You are asking him to audition and earn your trust going forward.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I heard Broaddus say on Talking Cowboys that he decided (against his own wishes) to sit down and take a close look at Manziel's play this season and broke down every throw because it might be his job to give an analysis of him sooner or later - the result?

He said he was actually taken back by his accuracy and some of the plays he made. Breaking down the tape changed his opinion of Manziel on the field and he thinks he could be a very effective QB in the NFL.

Does that mitigate his off the field risk? No.

But take it however you want to - that's from a former scout.

The ONLY thing interesting even a tiny bit about the Browns this year was Johnny. He was a lot better than the record or stat sheet indicates. That Wr corps was awful. 8th year unheard of TE Barnridge led them in catches, TDs and yards.

Their top 2 RBs together almost equaled the efforts of DMC.

That was an offense sorely lacking in skill talent.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Manziel's career 57% completion rating, and 74% qb rating is a must have. I'd trade the #4 pick to get him here.

That's better than Aikman, Luck, Manning through 258 attempts, just to name three.

No one is saying a fourth overall pick, but as a free agent.....maybe.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It only figures Irvin who had his own issues would support bringing in Manziel. Just over a week ago it was reported that Manziel missed some treatment because he was in Vegas. He's gone from Johnny Football to Johnny Bench to Johnny Rehab to Johnny Vegas. The guy wants to mix partying with playing football. You can't bank on anyone who has a drug or alcohol problem especially at the QB position. The pressure of the position drives them right back to the problem that's how they cope with it.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I hope the powers to be don't listen to such nonsense. JFF should be banned from the NFL, let alone be considered to be part of Cowboys. He is a total waste of space as a player and human.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I throw his on the field play out the window. He has only started 8 games in his career for one of the worst organizations in sports. He has shown some improvement and potential in those 8 games(what little I have seen). I would bet his numbers in his first 8 games are in line with some great QBs.

I would also argue most of us probably don't know a lot about his play either since I know I don't watch a lot of Browns football, I am sure the same can be said about many of us passing judgement.

57% completion is 57% completion. I would also argue your opinion isn't mine.

Reaction score
He's one slip away from being suspended/banned or shot in some Vegas motel. Maybe he as a future backup on the Jaguars, but who on their right mind is going to commit to Manziel as their franchise QB? He's already got at least one league strike against him, he has known alcohol and possibly drug problems, he clearly hasn't reached bottom, and finally- he's not very good.

robjay04

Reaction score
57% completion is 57% completion. I would also argue your opinion isn't mine.

And that is pretty much in line, if not better, than many all time greats with his same level as experience.

Also, I'm pretty sure that unless you play fantasy football, many of us couldn't even name a receiver on that team.

Junglist

Reaction score
Yeah, shutup Michael. You've done a thousand dumb*** things in your life and now you're trying to get the Cowboys to do the same? :facepalm:

He said "you don't have to be a monk to take football seriously." I don't want Manziel at all, but I agree with Irvin. He did a lot of dumb things, but it never affected his work ethic. The dude worked harder than everyone else. I'm not saying Manziel is the same, but what Irvin says is correct, imo.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, shutup Michael. You've done a thousand dumb*** things in your life and now you're trying to get the Cowboys to do the same? :facepalm:

Not only that. But you can be a out of control moron and learn to run 10 routes. You can't be a moron and play QB in the NFL with any consistency.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
He said "you don't have to be a monk to take football seriously." I don't want Manziel at all, but I agree with Irvin. He did a lot of dumb things, but it never affected his work ethic. The dude worked harder than everyone else. I'm not saying Manziel is the same, but what Irvin says is correct, imo.

It's not even close to correct with Manziel. He doesn't work hard, but he definitely plays hard. He likes being in the limelight except for when he is in trouble. Can you imagine him being a Cowboys QB? Remember what Parcells said, don't be a Celebrity QB. That's all Manziel will ever amount too in Dallas. (and most likely anywhere else to boot)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Remember what Parcells said, don't be a Celebrity QB. That's all Manziel will ever amount too in Dallas. (and most likely anywhere else to boot)

Huge and key point. Who is going to reign him in? Jerry Jones? Jason Garrett?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd consider bringing in Manziel too.
Don't believe me? Here, I'll consider it right now.
Okay, done considering.
Don't sign him.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
And that is pretty much in line, if not better, than many all time greats with his same level as experience.

Also, I'm pretty sure that unless you play fantasy football, many of us couldn't even name a receiver on that team.

This is about Manziel, not others in the past.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If Mikey thinks Manziel here is a good idea, then maybe it is not.

For the record, I am no fan of Manziel or his coming here, but I do believe that Sir Jones wants desperately to bring in Johnny Looseball.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure it's in line with guys who played years ago; the game was very different then and completion percentages were much lower. But if we look at recent QBs:

Peyton: Under 60% his first season, never again.
Brady, Rodgers, Romo, Wilson, Rivers, Palmer: Never under 60%.
Roethlisberger: a couple seasons at 59.7% and 59.9%, but well over 60% in his first 2 seasons.
Brees: Over 60% his first year, down at 58% his second year (still better than Manziel), but never again.
Cam: 60.0% and 57.7% his first two years, but he was also averaging 8 yards per attempt vs. Manziel's 6.5.
Bridgewater: 64% and 65%
Derek Carr: 58% and 61%
RG3: 66% and 60%
Flacco: 60% and 63%
Ryan: 61% and 58%

I'll also note that the guys whose numbers are closest to Manziel's were doing it over full seasons, instead of not being able to get on the field over really marginal competition.

If the best you can say about his actual on-field performance is that it's not really all that much worse than his peers at the same stage, it's really hard for me to understand how you can justify taking on the other risks associated with Manziel.