Michael Irvin says it all

Legend

Reaction score
I watched all those game. I'm aware of all their accolades. And they won not because a couple stars showed up, but instead because they had a deep roster of talent, a first ballot Hall of Fame QB, and a coaching staff that spawned a number of future head coaches at both the college and pro level. If Michael wants to pat himself on the back and think it's because he and Emmitt chest bumped in the tunnel, he can keep patting himself on the back.

The Pats won for DECADES because they rolled out rosters of committed, motivated players - many of which were somewhat unknown when they were forced into the spotlight. Sprinkle in a dab of cheating and you get a lot more rings than Irvin's ever seen.

I'm fine with him wanting Dak to be Aikman, Zeke to be Emmitt, and Lamb/Cooper to be Irvin, but to diminish the importance of the rest of the roster (especially in the salary cap era) is just stupid.

If your star players come out nervous and do not perform; you are not going to go far in the playoffs.

The Cowboys stars on offense played terrible and Dak kept going to Schultz and Wilson instead of Cooper and Lamb.

Kraft did not get rid of his coach like Jerry did.

The reason the 90s Cowboys did not win more SBs.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Ever notice the position players on this team who seem to actually give a crap? Lee....LVE...dare I say Jaylon, lol. And now, Micah. We all loved Dez, he was a guy who guys going, now we have our finger and eat spaghetti after a 1st down. Lack of emtion on this team is evident, and watching football this weekend we will see how a hungry team plays.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1000%.....but if you can't consistently do it during the regular season, why would we expect anything different for postseason. In other words, name one player on this team other than Parsons and Martin, who played every game like they were top 5.

Can't say I disagree, but Irvin is a ratings clown....he kisses SASs butt...piss off

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Michael Irvin seems to be confused. He thinks Zeke, Lamb, and Dak are stars. They're only stars because they play for the Cowboys.

None of them is top 6-7 at their position. If they played in Jacksonville, no one would care.
Michael sees the top paid players on the team "Stars". what would you call them? Ok Lamb is not Coop so leave him out of this. If you would have said Coop it would have made more sense. JJ paid those guys the most because of what they have done not for what they will do.

RaZon

Reaction score
Good observation. Just a loose collection of players getting paid, under the umbrella organization called The Dallas Cowboys. As a child of the 70s I am so glad I saw two great eras for this team. Unlikely to see another.

Thanks but that was sad.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
WRs don’t throw the ball.

You had Aikman..
and norv, and jimmy
if in 91 jerry fired norv and jimmy does dallas win next 2 SB's ?????????? I think not.

jerry just doesnt value coaches, and he wants coaches he can boss around
and tell them what to do in certain areas.
Jerry has never even tried to hire another jimmy, as it would take away from his own
fun of meddling, draft picks, FA signings etc.

Back then jimmy did all that , and jerry doesnt want a coach like that.

He thinks it is all about assembling a super team loaded with talent, then any
bozo can coach it to SB.

bigE79

Reaction score
1000%.....but if you can't consistently do it during the regular season, why would we expect anything different for postseason. In other words, name one player on this team other than Parsons and Martin, who played every game like they were top 5.

He ain't lying

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never get the feeling we are a close knit team, think it;s bunch of individuals doing their thing. Never really see Dak or Zeke doing much when on the sideline. No ..."hey, what the hell is going on here, let's go get it going grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr~~~~~ We see Dak staring at a tablet, see Zeke just hanging out.
Lol totally not true about a close team. All the players talk about how close they are. Don’t think that is the issue. But close team doesn’t equal the desire to win at all costs.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ever notice the position players on this team who seem to actually give a crap? Lee....LVE...dare I say Jaylon, lol. And now, Micah. We all loved Dez, he was a guy who guys going, now we have our finger and eat spaghetti after a 1st down. Lack of emtion on this team is evident, and watching football this weekend we will see how a hungry team plays.
Yeah we are missing that. Honestly I think they are too cocky. Think they are amazing and should be winning. If not it’s the officials fault

RaZon

Reaction score
Lol totally not true about a close team. All the players talk about how close they are. Don’t think that is the issue. But close team doesn’t equal the desire to win at all costs.

Seen a lot of sidelines with players, don't see it here. Don't care what they say it's what they do.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Like Troy said, Irvin would have had 10 catches by halftime in that game. Mainly because Troy would have been throwing the ball to Irvin.

I think leftover from Garrett days is a failure to scheme for player matchups. It's all scheme, treating players as interchangeable cogs. Our relative advantage in skill players is with Lamb and Cooper. If they get single covered, you throw to them. Instead, we're throwing deep to Wilson into double coverage.

plymkr

Reaction score

We have no leaders on this team like that. Maybe Martin and Parsons. Irvin, Aikman and Emmitt and the rest of those guys, Woodson, Haley, Tolbert, etc. They took losing personally and every game they brought it. Irvin said it best, the stars have to be stars. I feel Martin and Parsons are the only ones who brought it every week and didn't blame the refs or duck accountability when we lost.

plymkr

Reaction score
Michael Irvin seems to be confused. He thinks Zeke, Lamb, and Dak are stars. They're only stars because they play for the Cowboys.

None of them is top 6-7 at their position. If they played in Jacksonville, no one would care.
Good point!!! Nice. You're right. Our "stars" are role players who we desperately want to be stars. Mark my words whatever today is, 1/21/2022, in three years when Dak's contract is up, Dak will be a backup and Zeke will be out of the league. Dak peaked his rookie season and it's been downhill since then. He needs an all pro line with all pro talent at WR and RB to win. With his contract taking up the salary cap he will be completely exposed. When Dak's contract with the Cowboys is up he will be a backup ala Ryan Fitzpatrick