Michael Thomas contract compared to Amari Cooper

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seen on Twitter (not sure how to post it here so if anybody can do that it would be much appreciated) that the Saints are willing to make Michael Thomas the highest paid receiver in the league. Depending on what he signs for would this raise Cooper's demands or lowers them? Personally I want to get our guys signed first before everybody else raises the market. We have already seen it with Wentz and Dak.

Cooper is going to get 18M to 20M per.

The Thomas contract only affects Cooper if it's more than that.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Are we? We didn't really score more.
We had obvious redzone issues all season however, theres really no doubt offensive production was more consistent despite Linehans pathetic playcalling. Cooper took over a couple games including the Commanders and 2nd Eagles game. Hard to believe anyone else on the offense could have done the same.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
MT is a good player for sure but that coach and QB will make a WR look a hell of a lot better than they are.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It’s not about Cooper wanting to be paid on MT’s level. It’s that if MT is going to be the highest paid WR in the nfl, he’ll have to get 20+ a year. And if the best WR in the nfl is getting 20+, Cooper is never going to settle for 14-15 million, admitting he’s 5m a year worse than the best guy.

So this will bump up Cooper’s price if he doesn’t sign first, just as Carson did and Goff will do to Dak. Doesn’t mean he’ll sign for MT money, but he’ll likely jump to the 17-18 range to say ‘no I’m not the best, but show you value me and I’m in the mix amongst the next tier of WRs’
he wasn't top 5 productivity wise was he?no, ok so top10, yes so thats where your pay starts..thats how it should be period..he played 8 games for us correct now we are supposed to pay him 19? phack no!! 16-17 maybe..according to NO they might make him the HP WR..so yes that was my argument..

hmm total catches where is he im missing it wait like 16th but MT is 1

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?mode=C

total yards hes like 21..

enough said hes not even top 10 so lets compare the 10th overall wr in pay scale and thats where Amari should even cap out..

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If you believe Spotrac, Thomas market value comes in around $20.4 vs Coop $16.7M

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/amari-cooper-16728/market-value/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/michael-thomas-18996/market-value/

EMBED THIS Michael Thomas
WIDE RECEIVERAge: 26Exp: 3 Years
Drafted: Round 2 (#47 overall), 2016College: Ohio StateAgent(s): Andrew Kessler (Athletes First)
  • Calculated Market Value
    $20.4MAVG. ANNUAL SALARY
    Market Value
    • 5 yrs, $102,331,350
    • Avg. Salary: $20,466,270
    • NFL Rank: 18
    • WR Rank: 1
    Current Contract
    • Free Agent: 2020
    • Avg. Salary: $1,279,743
    • NFL Rank: 813
    • WR Rank: 90
COWBOYS
EMBED THIS Amari Cooper
WIDE RECEIVERAge: 25Exp: 4 Years
Drafted: Round 1 (#4 overall), 2015College: AlabamaAgent(s): Joel Segal (Lagardere Unlimited)
    $16.7MAVG. ANNUAL SALARY
    Market Value
    • 5 yrs, $83,602,510
    • Avg. Salary: $16,720,502
    • NFL Rank: 29
    • WR Rank: 3
    Current Contract
    • Avg. Salary: $5,665,779
    • NFL Rank: 319
    • WR Rank: 42

blueblood70

Reaction score
If you believe Spotrac, Thomas market value comes in around $20.4 vs Coop $16.7M

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/amari-cooper-16728/market-value/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/michael-thomas-18996/market-value/

EMBED THIS Michael Thomas
WIDE RECEIVERAge: 26Exp: 3 Years
Drafted: Round 2 (#47 overall), 2016College: Ohio StateAgent(s): Andrew Kessler (Athletes First)
    $20.4MAVG. ANNUAL SALARY
    Market Value
    • 5 yrs, $102,331,350
    • Avg. Salary: $20,466,270
    • NFL Rank: 18
    • WR Rank: 1
    Current Contract
    • Avg. Salary: $1,279,743
    • NFL Rank: 813
    • WR Rank: 90
COWBOYS
EMBED THIS Amari Cooper
WIDE RECEIVERAge: 25Exp: 4 Years
Drafted: Round 1 (#4 overall), 2015College: AlabamaAgent(s): Joel Segal (Lagardere Unlimited)
    $16.7MAVG. ANNUAL SALARY
    Market Value
    • 5 yrs, $83,602,510
    • Avg. Salary: $16,720,502
    • NFL Rank: 29
    • WR Rank: 3
    Current Contract
    • Avg. Salary: $5,665,779
    • NFL Rank: 319
    • WR Rank: 42
thats more like the truth right there..except Amaris 2018 stats were all out of the top 15 and in the 20s..we rip Dak using rankings so AC is NOT a top 3 WR stat wise...

Wood

Reaction score
Seen on Twitter (not sure how to post it here so if anybody can do that it would be much appreciated) that the Saints are willing to make Michael Thomas the highest paid receiver in the league. Depending on what he signs for would this raise Cooper's demands or lowers them? Personally I want to get our guys signed first before everybody else raises the market. We have already seen it with Wentz and Dak.

Michael Thomas is better receiver than Cooper and more of red zone threat.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What you are talking about are factors that Cooper's agent has in his arsenal of support for Cooper getting a big contract, but that doesn't change the fact that what constitutes a "big contract" is in large part dictated by the market as set by other similarly impactful receivers. Without a doubt if a similarly impactful receiver gets a high contract, that will be used as a negotiating point for Cooper's agent, just as if a similarly impactful receiver gets a lower than expected contract that will be used as a negotiating point for the Cowboys. It's all part of the negotiation.
It's a weak position for Amari. Oakland didn't value him enough to keep him and was thrilled to steal that first round pick away from Dallas for a WR they didn't deem worth that much. His performance in Oakland didn't merit getting paid elite WR pay. The partial season with the Cowboys and the first round pick used on Ameri are his ticket to a lucrative contract extension. He hasn't put enough solid performances on tape to compare his value equal or great than Michael Thomas.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Amari Cooper has 115 fewer catches than Thomas the last three years.

And 900 fewer yards and 4 TDS less, but with one more 100 yard game.

Thomas is incredibly consistent at catching the ball. Drew Brees doesn’t hurt.

Amari is more of a gamebreaker

Thomas has 4 career TDS over 20 yards. Amari has 17.

Thomas only has 2 career scores from more than 25 yards out.

Amari has all 17 including 4 just from Dak in half a season.
Great breakdown, thanks!

Rayman70

Reaction score
JERRY LOVES WIDE RECEIVERS...that said...he aint leaving Dallas and he will be paid as well he should be. I can argue that HE ought to get paid before Dak or Zeke. Look at what the team did after the trade last year. With and then without...IT WAS NIGHT AND DAY. He's the spark. Great team mate, great locker room guy and crazy talented. Top 5 route runner in the league.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Oakland is already kickin themselves for letting Amari go like they did. Yes they got draft picks...but they took a HUGE risk opting for rookies rather than an elite wr. They screwed the pooch. Carr was the problem and this will come back to bite Gruden. Amari just didn't have a QB at Oakland. When Dak got ahold of him..it was beautiful.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a weak position for Amari. Oakland didn't value him enough to keep him and was thrilled to steal that first round pick away from Dallas for a WR they didn't deem worth that much. His performance in Oakland didn't merit getting paid elite WR pay. The partial season with the Cowboys and the first round pick used on Ameri are his ticket to a lucrative contract extension. He hasn't put enough solid performances on tape to compare his value equal or great than Michael Thomas.

It's not a stand alone position. As I said, it is something in his arsenal. Clearly if better receivers are getting $18MM/per season he has more leverage to ask for $15-16MM than if the better receivers are getting $15MM. The market is set by what teams are willing to pay, and if there is proof teams are willing to pay more that enhances a player's negotiating position.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Michael Thomas is better receiver than Cooper and more of red zone threat.

That's probably true, but the OP's question wasn't whether Amari should get the same as Thomas, just whether it affects the negotiation between Amari and Dallas. And in that context Thomas getting $18-19MM might help Cooper get $15-16MM.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thomas has proven to be one of the, if not the, hardest WR's to take out of a game. I haven't seen the same with Cooper yet, saw the opposite in OAK and DAL. So, I do not compare him to Thomas.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Thomas has proven to be one of the, if not the, hardest WR's to take out of a game. I haven't seen the same with Cooper yet, saw the opposite in OAK and DAL. So, I do not compare him to Thomas.
wait...the 2nd Commander game last year...they couldn't stop him. The game against Philly at philly...he was pretty damn huge.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It’s not about Cooper wanting to be paid on MT’s level. It’s that if MT is going to be the highest paid WR in the nfl, he’ll have to get 20+ a year. And if the best WR in the nfl is getting 20+, Cooper is never going to settle for 14-15 million, admitting he’s 5m a year worse than the best guy.

So this will bump up Cooper’s price if he doesn’t sign first, just as Carson did and Goff will do to Dak. Doesn’t mean he’ll sign for MT money, but he’ll likely jump to the 17-18 range to say ‘no I’m not the best, but show you value me and I’m in the mix amongst the next tier of WRs’
He hadn't proven to be worth that much until he got to Dallas. That's a small sample size to be demanding that much money,

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wait...the 2nd Commander game last year...they couldn't stop him. The game against Philly at philly...he was pretty damn huge.
I love Cooper but he has not shown the consistency that Michael Thomas has shown but it also helps to have one of the best QB's.

I like Cobb a lot but are we transferring how effective he was with what is probably the most accurate QB in the game?

There's getting open and then there's getting the ball.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I love Cooper but he has not shown the consistency that Michael Thomas has shown but it also helps to have one of the best QB's.

I like Cobb a lot but are we transferring how effective he was with what is probably the most accurate QB in the game?

There's getting open and then there's getting the ball.
Lets see if maybe you change your mind during the year. I have a hunch Dak and company gonna ball.