Mike Florio: How Cowboys Created Huge Mess in Dak's Contract Situation | The Rich Eisen Show

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Dak got his deal and everything the first time. He hasn't proven if we pay him market value he can carry the team. Jones screwed up the first time. Don't do it a second time by extending him for what he wants.
If you don't have a QB, you don't have a shot. Next year's draft is worse. Your best chance to get to the promised land is to surround him with playmakers on both sides of the ball. We have a few.
Problem is, the Joneses can't decide what they want to be. An offensive powered team or a defensive powered team.
We have a little bit of both, but not enough to contend come playoffs. It's been this way long before Dak became the QB.
Build the team in all fassets, FA, Draft and Trades, just living and more often dying thru the draft is not enough.
And then add in terrible drafts like last years, and now compound it by minimal picks this year .....
Jimmy needs to tell Jerry his whole philosophy of talent acquisition is broken.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Anybody else having the ads taking over the whole board page section????

HanD

Reaction score
If you don't have a QB, you don't have a shot. Next year's draft is worse. Your best chance to get to the promised land is to surround him with playmakers on both sides of the ball. We have a few.
Problem is, the Joneses can't decide what they want to be. An offensive powered team or a defensive powered team.
We have a little bit of both, but not enough to contend come playoffs. It's been this way long before Dak became the QB.
Build the team in all fassets, FA, Draft and Trades, just living and more often dying thru the draft is not enough.
And then add in terrible drafts like last years, and now compound it by minimal picks this year .....
Jimmy needs to tell Jerry his whole philosophy of talent acquisition is broken.
I'm all for surrounding him with players. But you can't do that if he holds you over a barrel for 60m aav. If he's willing to take 40m I'd be willing to keep trying and build a great ol and running game around him. At 60, he can't win imo and I'd rather cut bait to start over vs false hope and heart break.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This How Incompetent The Jones Are. We Won't See The Light Of The Day 2 Plus Yrs.. :hammer: :banghead:

Time for Florio to start a Pizza joint or something.
Comparing Dak to WR Jefferson of the Vikes is a crime!
Dak so so-called great year was another dog feast.
They gonna bite the bullet and eat all that money in the next 2 years.............
Dak is Road-Kill

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Time for Florio to start a Pizza joint or something.
Comparing Dak to WR Jefferson of the Vikes is a crime!
Dak so so-called great year was another dog feast.
They gonna bite the bullet and eat all that money in the next 2 years.............
Dak is Road-Kill
again wether you can open your DAk eyes or not the NFL values QB WAY MORE than WR but yeah please make another dumb comment because you hate Dak....Dak would dwarf Jefferson in FA the every 30 minutes stories on media would be crazy..yeah..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We hear every day how Dak "has all the leverage". Don't know that's strictly true, but let's assume for the moment it is.

Jerry does have a way out of it, though I doubt he'd take it - and that is (if I'm reading Dak's contract correctly) to pay him the $59.4 millon and let his contract expire. Dak would then have to sign with somebody else or start an entire new contract with the Cowboys, and Jerry, if he/Stephen have learned anything at all, would be able to play hardball with Dak and only offer a "reasonable" amount. So you say, well, Dak would just sign with some other team for the same or more money.

But here's the rub for Dak - if he's out of a job, any other team that would sign him could just simply play hardball with Dak themselves, bringiing up the poor playoff record, the losses to multiple teams that had winning records, etc. In other words, Dak can't assume if Dallas won't pay him $50-60 million a year that some other team would. Of course they might, who knows? Broncos paid Russell Wilson an insane amount of money and are getting rid of him already.

I think Dak knows his best bet is to stick with Dallas, sure he might not get what he wants, dollar-wise, but Jerry, not wanting to be seen as taking a chance on Dak as a 4th round pick and failing (Jerry hates to fail) will continue to overpay Dak.

In other words, I think Dak is smart enough to know he's not going to lead some average team to the SB, and the good teams don't need him, they have their Purdy, Stroud, etc.

Understand this is just my view on it, it may play out entirely different than what I think, but I really think one way, or the other Dak will be the Cowboys qb for a long time, until he's too old, gets hurt or Jerry will do like he did with Garrett - get his fill of no SBs and let Dak go....

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not one side or the other of the arguments. It’s both. If people would just actually read a bit instead of replying to a sound bite or half a tweet or a rage bait subject line we’d be able to have better discussions.
Where's the fun in that?

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Ok so pay Dak 60 mil to sit? Dak has all the leverage.
His cap hit is 60 mil, he has already got most of that in his signing bonus. Only leverage the Cowboy's have is to ride out this season, then the leverage shifts especially if Trey shows significant progress this year. This is all about losing confidence in Dak IMO.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
This isn’t going to come out right, but the players SHOULD squeeze the owners.. I have no problem when this happens because of how the owners can handle them when they have the same leverage.

Flamma

Reaction score
Think about it. What would be the point of extending Dak to open up 40M in cap space? All they need is enough cap space to resign who they intend to keep, extend Lamb, and rookies.

visionary

Reaction score
If dak is squeezing Jerry like the first time after his playoff performance, Dallas is playing it perfect. Don't do anything. I'd even consider playing Lance. Worst mistake which we saw first time is he squeezes us for all he can and doesn't deliver in the playoffs again. Florio says dak had a great year but ignores playoffs.

Deer in headlights during playoffs but stone cold killer when contract is up....
Yeah, Dak had a great year for moron Joneses and greedy Dak
He had a pathetic year for Cowboys fans

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not going to happen, unless committed to rebuilding.
Looks like a serious possibility.
Sitting on a 60mil cap hit for this year through free agency says that they're not interested in winning this year. Waved Biadasz and Tyron goodbye.
They're eating the Dak cap hit this year.
Now the ball is in Dak's court.
Dak gets to decide if he wants a contract year playing behind half an oline and no running back or demand a trade. A trade they would be happy to arrange.