Video: Mike Greenberg: “Sam Darnold is better than Dak Prescott.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

shabazz

Reaction score
Daks a pretty good qb. Think hes probably top 12. I havent seen darnold play enough to say hes better than dak

I can get with this post. I put Dak at the average 15-16th best in the league. But just like some in this forum bought the first 3 games of fools gold about Dakota, I think The Darnold is being hyped a bit based on beating our defense. Once again, lets see how he finishes at the end of the season

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak is vastly better. He actually played better than Darnold if you look at the tape. Dak played under constant duress. NO SALE GREENY. Its fools gold. Dak is the real deal.

Section446

Reaction score
He probably will be one day, that's why he was drafted where he was; higher ceiling. Right now though, Dak is the better overall QB. Having said that, still jot worth $30 million a year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I am a Dak Homer. I believe in the guy. His team loves him and they respond to him. Problem is, the defense is playing like satisfied fat cats....and the d coach sucks..his scheme is bad and he doesn't adjust. When you peel back the layers of the onion, Marinelli and Garrett need fired now. WE STILL HAVE THE TALENT and the difference in winning and losing is the coaching,bad officiating and injuries. The offense isn't the issue. The oline being banged up badly IS.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Wait, so the "blame Linehan/Garrett" for a predictable offense thing was wrong all along?

No. It’s totally possible that a QB does and is capable of doing an audible, yet the scheme and playcalling are still a detriment to the team.

You should know that. My guess is you probably do know that, but just want to make a sarcastic comment despite it making zero sense.

The offensive coordinator and coaching staff are also responsible for designing and developing the plays and routes that a Quarterback can audible into.

It’s also kind of silly that you are all comparing Dak’s audibles to the audibiling that Romo was doing after being in the league for a decade. Romo got really really good at using audibles throughout his career, but even he wasn’t that great at it early in his career. It’s something he worked on and improved over the years. Imagine that

Last edited:

fansince68

Reaction score
Greenburg has been a Jets fan for decades. Of course he would say that. I bet Michael Irvin would say Dak is better than Darnold.

starcity214

Reaction score
No. It’s totally possible that a QB does and is capable of doing an audible, yet the scheme and playcalling are still a detriment to the team.

You should know that. My guess is you probably do know that, but just want to make a sarcastic comment despite it making zero sense.

The offensive coordinator and coaching staff are also responsible for designing and developing the plays and routes that a Quarterback can audible into.

It’s also kind of silly that you are all comparing Dak’s audibles to the audibiling that Romo was going after being in the league for a decade. Romo got really really good at using audibles throughout his career, but even he wasn’t that great at it early in his career. It’s something he worked on and improved over the years. Imagine that

Well then, if coaching is everything and the success or failure of players is dictated by schemes, why would we pay Dak 30 plus million a year when we could just hire a new "mastermind" coach, start cooper Rush at QB and spread the 30$ million around ?

Talent matters buddy.

For QBs, it's not just arm talent, it's brains also..

I'd hate to say it, but anyone who understands QB play knows that half the battle starts before the ball is snapped as a QB has to read the defense and Dak is laking in this department..

Funny how Darnold, a second year QB, noticed our Defense was set up to stop the run and he audibled out of it and threw a 96 yard TD pass despite being young..

At some point, you have to accept Dak is who he is..

Dak's going to be 35 and people will still be saying "well Brady only started getting better after 33 so Dak has a chance" lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s right. Dak couldn’t hold Darnold’s jock.
There isn't anything at all either in personal statistics or team success to support that comment. Darnold may or may not end up being the better player, but even if he does, he hasn't remotely proven it yet.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Well then, if coaching is everything and the success or failure of players is dictated by schemes, why would we pay Dak 30 plus million a year when we could just hire a new "mastermind" coach, start cooper Rush at QB and spread the 30$ million around ?

Talent matters buddy.

For QBs, it's not just arm talent, it's brains also..

I'd hate to say it, but anyone who understands QB play knows that half the battle starts before the ball is snapped as a QB has to read the defense and Dak is laking in this department..

Funny how Darnold, a second year QB, noticed our Defense was set up to stop the run and he audibled out of it and threw a 96 yard TD pass despite being young..

At some point, you have to accept Dak is who he is..

Dak's going to be 35 and people will still be saying "well Brady only started getting better after 33 so Dak has a chance" lol

Yeah, you’re twisting what was said. At no point did I argue that players don’t have to play and talent doesn’t matter.

I simply pointed out people saying Dak doesn’t audible are 100% wrong. Audibling is also not a panacea that fixed all ills in an offensive scheme.

I do accept Dak is who he is. Dak is right around 8-10 for QB’s in the league. Not elite. But above average to very good compared to the rest of the QB’s in the league.

You’re the ones who don’t accept that reality despite the mountains of evidence that point to that being the case.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
For attempts over 100 - tied for 6th in the NFL with 69.7% completion percentage
Total passing yards - 3rd in the NFL with 1,883 yards
For attempts over 100 - 4th with 8.9 yards per attempt
Average yards per game - 3rd with 313.8 yards
Tied for 7th in Passing TDs
Passes 20+ yards - 3rd with 26
Passes 40+ yards - tied for 2nd.

Not too shabby

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For attempts over 100 - tied for 6th in the NFL with 69.7% completion percentage
Total passing yards - 3rd in the NFL with 1,883 yards
For attempts over 100 - 4th with 8.9 yards per attempt
Average yards per game - 3rd with 313.8 yards
Tied for 7th in Passing TDs
Passes 20+ yards - 3rd with 26
Passes 40+ yards - tied for 2nd.

Not too shabby
Not at all, and contrary to what some believe, he did not play poorly against the Jets. Not that he was in top form, but it wasn't at all a bad performance, particularly with the fact he took a beating much of the ame because of poor pass blocking up front.

He does need to improve a little on his pass placement - he is too frequently just a tick behind the receiver - general the balls are still very catchable, but it can cost yardage by not hitting a receiver in stride, and it gives a trailing defender a chance to make a play.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Not at all, and contrary to what some believe, he did not play poorly against the Jets. Not that he was in top form, but it wasn't at all a bad performance, particularly with the fact he took a beating much of the ame because of poor pass blocking up front.

He does need to improve a little on his pass placement - he is too frequently just a tick behind the receiver - general the balls are still very catchable, but it can cost yardage by not hitting a receiver in stride, and it gives a trailing defender a chance to make a play.
There were a couple passes behind WR's and a couple too high, and then a couple just plain bad. But like you said, he was under pressure nonstop.
I'll add that another misconception is the running game. It was good enough vs. NY. Despite missing both tackles and 2 starting WRs, the offense did well considering.
That was on the defense.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Maybe it's not the talent perspective that people are focusing on. Maybe it's production at comparable points in their careers. Neither player will be in next year's draft so arm talent and processing information slowly (yikes) kind of take a back seat to actually producing in the NFL. Countless talented players have been cut for a lack of a production, but I'm hard-pressed to think of a single productive player who was cut because someone viewed them as being untalented.
As I noted in the post you quoted, Sam has work to do.

I talk about talent because both players are young. Eventually, we can compare their careers.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Cool story
What’s worse is Greeny is a die-hard Jet’s fan. Yes, Sam looked good against us. We tend to play down to lackluster opponents with regularity. But Sam’s resume compared to Dak’s isn’t even close. #yawn

Reactions: CWR

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Darnold is better than Dak? At what getting mono?

I had forgot how crazy the posts here can be at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.