Mike Leach on QB accuracy

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I wonder if teams are using psychometric tests to try to measure that ability yet. Even better, develop that ability.
I know the Golden State Warriors do something like that.
The Cowboys have some VR room for training, but yeah- spatial awareness and recognition should definitely be cultivated and honed, if possible besides the training being on-the-field experience.

Corso

Reaction score
What do you know about that?
I remember reading a few articles about two years ago how Curry and the team was totally into this tech (they are in the middle of and owned by Silicon Valley, basically) that's like VR that trains your brain into quicker and more precise... decision making? Like I said, the article was a bit old, but I bet it's still out there in the cyberverse.

Corso

Reaction score
Stop talking about Shroud lol.
I don't know that handle, but if Shroud is legit... I'd watch him/her. Pro gaming in a competitive field can be pretty darn cool.
Those guys can be pretty amazing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not arguing Dak is as good as Mahomes. Nowhere have I argued that.

The question was, name a young QB who carries an offense. You then listed two QB’s who are on extremely talented offenses.

So you are either confused or can’t name a young QB who does in fact, carry an offense.
I would consider that carrying an offense. Neither of those teams with that talent were playing for conference championships before those QB took over.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I don't know that handle, but if Shroud is legit... I'd watch him/her. Pro gaming in a competitive field can be pretty darn cool.
Those guys can be pretty amazing.
bruh you don't know who shroud is? go watch him twitch.tv/shroud
you want to talk about accuracy his aim is legendary

Corso

Reaction score
bruh you don't know who shroud is? go watch him twitch.tv/shroud
you want to talk about accuracy his aim is legendary
I don't really watch twitch, the guy I know is just a friend who comes over and plays while I work. I like the noise of games and music while I do my thing. Makes me feel at a bar.

I'll definitely check old boy out though!
What does this person play?

Edit. I see him. It's a white dude.

DFWJC

Reaction score

There is no coach that can teach Dak how to throw a football. You're either accurate, or you're not.

This isn't about poise. Dak has poise. So it isn't an experience fix that comes with getting "comfortable". Dak is comfortable.

And that's a problem because this just comes down to lack of ability.

Darius Jackson can practice all he wants, but he'll never be Zeke. Dak can work himself to the bone, but he'll never be an elite passer.

So you’re saying Dak is way closer to his ceiling than others at his experience level.
Could be true.

I do think a guy coming in after starting in a major conference is typicallyfurther along on his learning curve than someone from a smaller conference or who started less years. So they might be closer to reaching their ceiling earlier.

For example, trubisky only had one year of starting under his belt coming in, so he may have further upside, all else equal. Garoppllo too, even if he did sit for a few years.

Guess we’ll see. Hard to compare anyway because all else is not equal

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
I would consider that carrying an offense. Neither of those teams with that talent were playing for conference championships before those QB took over.

The chiefs were Basically with Alex Smith. They made it to the divisional round a bunch of times.

And if you consider Goff as carrying an offense, that has Todd Gurley, Cooper Krupp, had brandin cooks, has a great OL, etc. if you consider THAT carrying an offense. Then Dak basically does too

Whyjerry

Reaction score
And yet, scoring a touchdown for this team is like studying Calculus with a Mandarin-speaking professor.

Why is that?

Have a look at the sidelines. Going into year 10 of the same offense. DCs know what they are doing. If Dallas can’t blow you off the ball they are in trouble.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have a look at the sidelines. Going into year 10 of the same offense. DCs know what they are doing. If Dallas can’t blow you off the ball they are in trouble.

I don't know if you ever listen to the Cowboys Break show, but a recent episode on "Can Dak Win a Title?" gives a very condemning assessment of facts and circumstances surrounding this team.

While the rest of the league had caught up to the fact that Sean McVay was coaching Jared Goff until his helmet mic was cut off at 15 seconds on the play clock, the Cowboys either didn't know or chose to do nothing. That's why the Rams offense, that had been so high scoring for much of the season struggled. Teams figured out not to give Goff or McVay an early look at what they were doing, making the young QB figure it out and beat them by himself. That's specifically what Belicheck and the Patriots did to win the Super Bowl. They gave the young quarterback confusing looks all night. The result? 3 points!

Conversely, not only do the Garrett-led Cowboys not follow this league-wide trend, they themselves telegraph every they're doing through tendencies and tells.

In summary, not only is the Dallas coaching staff not an advantage for their players, they are, in fact, a huge liability. It's like trying to play chess against an opponent that knows every move you will make.

And as the reportes said, "that's scouting", pro scouting to be more specific.

Want to guess who's in charge of that area for the Cowboys?

One Judd Garrett...

Corso

Reaction score
I don't know if you ever listen to the Cowboys Break show, but a recent episode on "Can Dak Win a Title?" gives a very condemning assessment of facts and circumstances surrounding this team.

While the rest of the league had caught up to the fact that Sean McVay was coaching Jared Goff until his helmet mic was cut off at 15 seconds on the play clock, the Cowboys either didn't know or chose to do nothing. That's why the Rams offense, that had been so high scoring for much of the season struggled. Teams figured out not to give Goff or McVay an early look at what they were doing, making the young QB figure it out and beat them by himself. That's specifically what Belicheck and the Patriots did to win the Super Bowl. They gave the young quarterback confusing looks all night. The result? 3 points!

Conversely, not only do the Garrett-led Cowboys not follow this league-wide trend, they themselves telegraph every they're doing through tendencies and tells.

In summary, not only is the Dallas coaching staff not an advantage for their players, they are, in fact, a huge liability. It's like trying to play chess against an opponent that knows every move you will make.

One Judd Garrett...
@stash is back in the thread. This sucka going 20 pages, at least.

Corso

Reaction score

One Judd Garrett...
And damn! Damning! @Idgit ! I need some positive coaching reinforcement on this! Stat!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The chiefs were Basically with Alex Smith. They made it to the divisional round a bunch of times.

And if you consider Goff as carrying an offense, that has Todd Gurley, Cooper Krupp, had brandin cooks, has a great OL, etc. if you consider THAT carrying an offense. Then Dak basically does too
But the Rams weren’t a playoff team until Goff took over even with that talent and if you think the Chiefs were as prolific with Smith then we’ll just have to disagree. Neither were championship caliber teams before those QB’s took over. That’s how I see it anyway.

And it appears to me the Cowboys have taken a step back offensively since Romo was here. Fortunately we have a greater defense which is carrying us now.

Corso

Reaction score
But the Rams weren’t a playoff team until Goff took over even with that talent and if you think the Chiefs were as prolific with Smith then we’ll just have to disagree. Neither were championship caliber teams before those QB’s took over. That’s how I see it anyway.
Nice. Good to see you sticking in this thread still.
I'm enjoying this immensely!

HungryLion

Reaction score

I didn’t say as prolific. You’re putting words in my mouth because again, you named two QB’s who in fact don’t carry their teams. At all.

You first mentioned a QB carrying a team. I asked for an example, you couldn’t provide one, and Now you’re talking about improving a team. There’s a huge difference between improving a team and carrying a team.

Btw the Rams sucked during Goff’s first year in the league. Then they changed coaches.

So yes Goff helped the team improve. But everyone knows coaching was holding that team back before McVay was hired.

Corso

Reaction score
I didn’t say as prolific. You’re putting words in my mouth because again, you named two QB’s who in fact don’t carry their teams. At all.

You first mentioned a QB carrying a team. I asked for an example, you couldn’t provide one, and Now you’re talking about improving a team. There’s a huge difference between improving a team and carrying a team.

Btw the Rams sucked during Goff’s first year in the league. Then they changed coaches.

So yes Goff helped the team improve. But everyone knows coaching was holding that team back before McVay was hired.
Nuke bamb.
Yup... bamb.

Last edited:

Corso

Reaction score
Lol... and I killed the thread for the longest amount of time since it's inception.
Killer.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Aikman stated something similar months ago, Leach is right. Accuracy needs to be at the top of your QBs traits...see the top QBs in the league.