Mike Leach on QB accuracy

HungryLion

Reaction score
IMO they are the difference. Our opinions differ is all. We’re at an impasse that cant be met.

The point I’m trying to make is is the term “carrying”.

I dont think there are any QB’s, ever, who “carry” a team to anything significant. They all need some degree of help around them. Football is the ultimate team sport.

Guys like Brady, Brees, and even a Mahomes need less help than others. But they still need help to play and win at a high level.

I’m not so sure about Goff yet. I like Goff. He is a talented QB who can throw a beautiful deep ball. But he still needs a lot more help than guys like Brady and Brees and Mahomes. But it’s to be expected of a young QB, IMO.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm hardly a Dak "homer" as you call it.....but stas can't be ignored just because you may not like him for whatever reason.......I come down pretty hard on him for hanging onto the ball too long at times, tends to not throw the ball away when needed, not reading defenses quick enough, so I'm hardly a "homer"....but to bash him for accuracy issues when other QB's some consider great (Wentz for one) are no better even with better receivers........until Cooper was acquired.

Dak already admitted what the problem was the first 8 games of this year. It cleared up and confirmed several things. He said guys were getting open he simply wasn't comfortable with the way things were.

So this confirms two things. Both haters and supporters were right.

1. It was definitely a lot Dak. He was holding the ball, not getting it out to the right places
2. But it was because of the dumb receiver by committee nonsense and his comfort with scheme and time with receivers and the abilities of those receivers. Which is exactly what many of us said. Once Cooper came and there was continuity with Cooper and Gallup on the outside and Beasley in the slot he was comfortable and it was a huge difference.

So it wasn't his lack of ability, but his comfort level, scheme, and receivers that caused him to play poorly, which he was. Besides the Oline play.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And yet, scoring a touchdown for this team is like studying Calculus with a Mandarin-speaking professor.

Why is that?

It wasn't tough his rookie year? They were great in the redzone. So what were the big differences between his rookie year and this year?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I dont think there are any QB’s, ever, who “carry” a team to anything significant. They all need some degree of help around them. Football is the ultimate team sport.

Guys like Brady, Brees, and even a Mahomes need less help than others. But they still need help to play and win at a high level.

I’m not so sure about Goff yet. I like Goff. He is a talented QB who can throw a beautiful deep ball. But he still needs a lot more help than guys like Brady and Brees and Mahomes. But it’s to be expected of a young QB, IMO.

Goff is great when he has a clean pocket with no pressure. He definitely needs lots of players around him When Kupp went down he struggled. And when Gurley and Kupp weren't in there he was bad. When Goff gets pressured he really struggles.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That's when you know a person doesnt know anything about football when they use bulk stats.

Why would you use total points scored on a slow paced offense that limits possessions? Are you admitting that are ignorant to foothall?

Even if we wanted to use 22nd, that's "one of the worst offenses in the league". Holy hyperbole. You sound just like a woman.

I like to judge a person’s baseline intelligence by asking them a simple math problem:

Is 55 “150% more” than 37?

:lmao:

InTheZone

Reaction score
A QB leading the league in sacks? LOL

That's a new one. So in the first two years when Dak was sacked 28 and 32 times was he better at NOT getting sacked then?

And Dak doesn't struggle throwing to the outside. You made that up.

You misunderstood what was said. I meant Dak typically throws outside, would the new guy struggle throwing the same passes.

And Dak's limitations and regression showed this year. Before when less was asked the ball would come out. There was a lot of hesitation, even with open guys everywhere. Dak trusted himself less in 2018.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Goff is great when he has a clean pocket with no pressure. He definitely needs lots of players around him When Kupp went down he struggled. And when Gurley and Kupp weren't in there he was bad. When Goff gets pressured he really struggles.

Agreed. Although it’s also common for a 3rd year QB.

I feel like a lot of posters on this board don’t realize that QB’s are still growing 3 years into the league. 3 years is very young for an NFL QB. I almost feel like people have too much need for instant gratification.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Yet don’t you glom onto bogus statistics like QB W/L record?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You misunderstood what was said. I meant Dak typically throws outside, would the new guy struggle throwing the same passes.

And Dak's limitations and regression showed this year. Before when less was asked the ball would come out. There was a lot of hesitation, even with open guys everywhere. Dak trusted himself less in 2018.

So he trusted himself as a rookie and is getting worse at trusting himself with more experience? Doesn't even make sense. He had a much better oline and better pass catchers he was comfortable with previously. Not rocket science. Young QB's don't regress with more experience.

Open guys everywhere? LOL

You haters aren't even worth talking to. Nothing but nonsense theories and extreme exagerations.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agreed. Although it’s also common for a 3rd year QB.

I feel like a lot of posters on this board don’t realize that QB’s are still growing 3 years into the league. 3 years is very young for an NFL QB. I almost feel like people have too much need for instant gratification.

Agreed. Some don't show the basic understanding of the QB position, young QB development, and the relationship between the players and scheme around the QB affecting his ability good or bad to do his job.

stiletto

Reaction score
Lame... when I started little league baseball I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, by my 3rd year I could throw absolute strikes from 3rd base to first and I could pitch. You can work at it and get better. Same lesson in anything you do in life. Some people have unbelievable god-given talent (or whatever) but the more you work at something no matter how bad you are the better you will be. I think the overall message sucks.

Last edited:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Dak trusted himself less in 2018.
I think the issue before the trade for Cooper was that he didn't trust that group of receivers.

TD passes of 20+ yards
Games 1-7: 3 (19th)
Games 8-16: 7 (3rd)

Games w/ passer rating above 100
Games 1-7: 2 (17th)
Games 8-16: 6 (2nd)

3rd down conversion rate, pass
Games 1-7: 22% (32nd)
Games 8-18: 40% (9th)

If Dak didn't trust himself in games 8-18, imagine how good he'll be when he figures that out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

“ carrying” is a subjective description which can’t be definitively defined.

I’d consider a QB carrying a team to the playoffs , a championship game or the Super Bowl significant even in defeat. But again if your not comfortable with that term there’s really no need discussing. And significant is another description which could be subjective. In the end much of the discussion is based on how we view and interpret it.

It’s how we can look at the same play or game and come away with different symptoms in the results while we can’t dispute the results. Much how we can look at the penalty called and see it differently.

Shoot, we all can look at the same girl and come away with different impressions. We all have our own set of eyes and beliefs going in.

If we went outside of Cowboy fans the discussion would change drastically on Dak. Much like our evaluations of our own children and loved ones would probably differ from others evaluations. It’s often most difficult critiquing your own. I’m not sure why fans are more defensive of our QB than other positions? But we had the same black hole endless discussions with Romo. Some simply couldn’t handle the criticism.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
“ carrying” is a subjective description which can’t be definitively defined.

I’d consider a QB carrying a team to the playoffs , a championship game or the Super Bowl significant even in defeat. But again if your not comfortable with that term there’s really no need discussing. And significant is another description which could be subjective. In the end much of the discussion is based on how we view and interpret it.

It’s how we can look at the same play or game and come away with different symptoms in the results while we can’t dispute the results. Much how we can look at the penalty called and see it differently.

Shoot, we all can look at the same girl and come away with different impressions. We all have our own set of eyes and beliefs going in.

If we went outside of Cowboy fans the discussion would change drastically on Dak. Much like our evaluations of our own children and loved ones would probably differ from others evaluations. It’s often most difficult critiquing your own. I’m not sure why fans are more defensive of our QB than other positions? But we had the same black hole endless discussions with Romo. Some simply couldn’t handle the criticism.
Wow... utter BS.
So what do you think is "carrying"?
Without all the dithering.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

WL record alone doesn't say it all, but it has to be factored in. Especially in a young QB. And some of those wins were definitely attributed to his late clutch play.

I would say that in 3 years Dak has had it all. A great Oline and offense around him in 2016 and then lots of adversity, pressure, and scheme and pass catcher issues ever since. Through all of that to say he had a winning season all three years is impressive. And he is even 4-3 without Zeke.

HungryLion

Reaction score

No, Not really. It’s cool you want to attribute other people’s comments to me, because otherwise you don’t have an argument. But I hardly ever have mention Dak’s W/L record. I have mentioned the teams accomplishments a few times in the context of stating that Dak played well enough for the team to win a certain number of games.

But I’ve never attributed wins and losses solely to Dak, ever. Nor any other player for that matter.

I also seem to remember many times saying that Dak was, and this is a direct quote “playing like poop” earlier in the season. I don’t see how that’s not holding him accountable for the games he was playing poorly.

Last edited:

InTheZone

Reaction score
So he trusted himself as a rookie and is getting worse at trusting himself with more experience? Doesn't even make sense. He had a much better oline and better pass catchers he was comfortable with previously. Not rocket science. Young QB's don't regress with more experience.

Open guys everywhere? LOL

You haters aren't even worth talking to. Nothing but nonsense theories and extreme exagerations.
Is that going to be a trend in 2019 around here? Disagree, get labeled a hater and take arguments personally?