Mike Leach on QB accuracy

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I refused to use injuries along the OL with Frederick out and Martin in and out and playing on a bad knee for much of the season or Tyron having issues with his back. I refused to say Dak started the season with what they hoped would work at WR yet never could make it work. I refused to say losing our TE of 14 years a Pro Bowler and future HOF to 4 TE who have little to no experience. But fact is all of that played a role so do not hand me all this talent around Dak. While these things are as they say no excuse they do play a factor. Dallas providing Dak with a guy who really had done nothing in the past 2 years in Oakland and Dak and Cooper got things turned around in Dallas. Fact is Dak was not getting the great protection and was not getting much for a WR core who outside of Beasley never played with Dak nor did they produce big on other teams and TE for much of the season was non-existent. That is the reality. I have also stated many time Dak himself has to continue to work hard and work with these WR to help improve this offense and that still stands and he has to do a better job of getting the ball out on time.

I have seen many here make excuses for other teams when they have injuries yet we are told injuries are no excuse for the Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You think Goff and Mahomes carry their offenses?

They both play on two of the most talented offenses in the league.

Mahomes is a legit stud. But he still is surrounded by a ton of talent.
But he’s the driving force and their offense carry’s the team.

We now have an offense that without a top 10 defense carrying it is well below average. Why are we so hip with it?

HungryLion

Reaction score
But he’s the driving force and their offense carry’s the team.

We now have an offense that without a top 10 defense carrying it is well below average. Why are we so hip with it?

Travis Kelce, Kareem Hunt and Tyreek Hill were all pro bowl players before Mahomes ever took a snap.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It just amazes me why we defend this QB and offense. It’s inept in scoring. Take Elliott out and what do we have?

How many teams collapse offensively unless they lose their QB?

We certainly didn’t defend our defense like this a few years ago when it was well below average.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
My only question is: WHO THE F IS MIKE LEACH AND WHO GIVES A FLIP WHAT HE SAYS?

Gawd, I wish the off-season was shorter. I'll see ya'll at draft time.

superonyx

Reaction score
LOL @ equating completion percentage and accuracy. Especially for a guy who is bottom 10 in air yards per attempt.
Air yards per attempt....haha...good one.

Make sure you ignore all the rest of the stats. You had to dig deep to pull that one out.

giphy.gif

HungryLion

Reaction score
And they lost Hunt this year but they didn’t collapse.

I’m not arguing Dak is as good as Mahomes. Nowhere have I argued that.

The question was, name a young QB who carries an offense. You then listed two QB’s who are on extremely talented offenses.

So you are either confused or can’t name a young QB who does in fact, carry an offense.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Catch radius, short area quickness and the fact that he just flat runs good routes. As a result, he is in a better position to adjust and make catches on balls that are not perfectly thrown in that short area.
He's also more likely than other receivers to be where he's supposed to be.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Air yards per attempt....haha...good one.

Make sure you ignore all the rest of the stats. You had to dig deep to pull that one out.

giphy.gif

Yes it is a stat to show how deep a qb is attempting to complete passes.

You may be shocked to learn that the further a qb throws the ball the less likely he is to ocmplete the pass.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I make this of it. Two words. Drew Brees.

Drew Brees, who went from a sub 60% completion quarterback in San Diego to completing nearly 75% of his passes this year. And whose completion percentages have increased again and again and again throughout his career.

The facts and statistics actually show me what's true, rather than people talking.

Of course. The notion that accuracy is some innate skill that you either have or don’t and can’t improve either way is beyond idiotic. It’s of the same ilk as the notion that you can ignore the statistical evidence because you just ‘know football’. That type of thinking is for meatheads and empty heads. It’s basically believing in a kind of football magic that can’t be explained by science.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

There is no coach that can teach Dak how to throw a football. You're either accurate, or you're not.

Tony said he fixed his own accuracy. Tony went from UDFA to MVP level performance in 2014. He definitely got better at something.

Also, what Tony says is the real variable that separates QBs is spatial awareness. How many bouncing balls can you keep track of in your head? A lot more guys can hit a moving target than can track 20 other players on a field simultaneously.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Tony said he fixed his own accuracy. Tony went from UDFA to MVP level performance in 2014. He definitely got better at something.

Also, what Tony says is the real variable that separates QBs is spatial awareness. How many bouncing balls can you keep track of in your head? A lot more guys can hit a moving target than can track 20 other players on a field simultaneously.
Like a pro gamer. I know one and his ability to keep track of multiple things going on in his peripheral vision accurately and all at once astounds me.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Of course. The notion that accuracy is some innate skill that you either have or don’t and can’t improve either way is beyond idiotic. It’s of the same ilk as the notion that you can ignore the statistical evidence because you just ‘know football’. That type of thinking is for meatheads and empty heads. It’s basically believing in a kind of football magic that can’t be explained by science.

Everyone should learn to juggle. At least the basic 3 bean bags. First it's impossible, then it's ridiculously easy. Humans are very trainable.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In a word?

Nonsense.
:rolleyes:

superonyx

Reaction score
Yes it is a stat to show how deep a qb is attempting to complete passes.

You may be shocked to learn that the further a qb throws the ball the less likely he is to ocmplete the pass.
Isnt this the stat where Josh Allen is #1, Winston is #2 and Fitzpatrick is #3?
Or is it the one where Kody Kessler, Mullins, and Osweiler are 1,2,3?

It means next to nothing.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Like a pro gamer. I know one and his ability to keep track of multiple things going on in his peripheral vision accurately and all at once astounds me.

I wonder if teams are using psychometric tests to try to measure that ability yet. Even better, develop that ability.