Mike Leach on QB accuracy

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

kskboys

Reaction score
That brings up another one of my concerns about Dak that I have. I wonder if he is only good with one kind of receiver, the ones whose strength are that they are exceptional route runners. Which is all fine if you have a lot of them, but Romo seemed more versatile and could use wideouts that had other strengths besides the route running like Dez. Like when Romo illustrated where Dez should've thrown the ball for dez to catch it. The best receiver for Dak so far is Cooper, who besides being a great route runner also mentioned that he makes adjustments to the ball. Which probably explains why Dak connects to him more than he does Gallup who also is a great route runner, but isn't as good yet as Coop at adjusting to the ball. At least that is my opinion on what I see. Not fact, just my own personal analysis
All QB's suck throwing to guys who can't run routes.

kskboys

Reaction score
This thread is mostly crud and, I'm afraid to say, I am one of it's larger culprits.

Can we just burn this thread in a crematorium and move on to the next, fresher garbage thread we can all piss on?

Seriously.
Yeah, I got caught in it for a bit, and had to step out to avoid the garbage!!!!!!!

You simply cannot discuss Dak on these boards. Prolly not on any boards!!!!

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Dak is not comfortable, Dak has happy feet. Fix his footwork and he gets better, not Elite, but better...

There were articles each offseason where Romo would work on his delivery. They compared it to a golfer rebuilding their swing. If Dak is willing to work at it, he can improve a great deal. It's on him though. Not the coaches.

starcity214

Reaction score
So what?
I bet if any team contacted KC about any 3 players on their roster for Mahomes the laughing would be the same. You tried to make a point without it being a point.
Who are you replacing Dak with? Mahomes wasnt picked up in the late 2nd round. Mahomes also isnt a rookie. So if one were to buy into your KC theory then we would need to wait until next year when we have a first and then move up to the top 10 (top 1-3 realistically) and draft a QB. Then since we are pretending to be following Mahomes footsteps we need to let him sit a year and now we are 3 years away from having the next Mahomes.

How does any of this sound logical?

The point is that the Chiefs moved on from a "good enough" QB because they knew he wasn't good enough..

Why can't we do the same?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
All QB's suck throwing to guys who can't run routes.

Talking about strengths here, as in excellent route runner, with a nice route tree. Dez had a problem with route early in his career here and then a more limited route tree. Doesn't make him a bad wideout, his strengths were just elsewhere. That is certainly not saying that dez eventually didn't run the routes he was good at well enough. It's just not his strength compared to cooper. Anyway, probowl wideouts are not all the same, they have different strengths.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Yep but where would we have been this year without that top 10 defense. Certainly not in the playoffs with our offense most of the season.

Dak without Cooper is a great example how much elite talent elevates us. It’s not a slam on our other receivers that Coop is elite. Why does it have to be bashing on Dak to recognize what an elite QB could do for our offense?
Well,because going back to what you said in an earlier post, if the talking point or points suits YOUR mind set then.........and for most on here, Daks our WHOLE problem, get rid of him and wala bingo instant SB rings.... bleh like hell.

starcity214

Reaction score
Well,because going back to what you said in an earlier post, if the talking point or points suits YOUR mind set then.........and for most on here, Daks our WHOLE problem, get rid of him and wala bingo instant SB rings.... bleh like hell.

Why do people want to upgrade the safety position?

I mean, woods and Heath must have done something right to be starters on a top 5 defense right?

Anyone with a brain knows that replacing Heath (average player) with ET would make this team better. Why can't the same approach be taken with the QB?

Top 5 defense
Top 5 running game
Bottom third passing attack

What aspect would you say needs improvement in our team?

HungryLion

Reaction score

I mean, woods and Heath must have done something right to be starters on a top 5 defense right?

Anyone with a brain knows that replacing Heath (average player) with ET would make this team better. Why can't the same approach be taken with the QB?

Top 5 defense
Top 5 running game

There isn’t a QB available to sign, that is the same caliber of player that ET is. Not even close actually.

So maybe that’s why people haven’t posed the idea??

If there was an all pro caliber QB that was an unrestricted free agent, then trying to sign them would be a fair question to ask.

There isn’t one though.

Just stating “bottom third passing attack” is also intellectually dishonest. Because it ignores the trend, which is that the passing attack improve dramatically the second half of the season. Still room to grow obviously, but the difference from week 17 to week 1 was dramatic and plain to see.

If Dak and the passing attack, performed the second half of the season, the same way they did the first half, then the conversation about him would be much different than it is now and a lot more people would be calling for his replacement.

But it’s also foolish to ignore the significant improvements that were made over the course of the season. Dak was playing like poop the first half of the season and was top 10 the second half of the season. That needs to be factored in.

kskboys

Reaction score
Talking about strengths here, as in excellent route runner, with a nice route tree. Dez had a problem with route early in his career here and then a more limited route tree. Doesn't make him a bad wideout, his strengths were just elsewhere. That is certainly not saying that dez eventually didn't run the routes he was good at well enough. It's just not his strength compared to cooper. Anyway, probowl wideouts are not all the same, they have different strengths.
Dez was always a bad route runner. It was like he just wasn't interested. Sad, because he had the ability.

I have to disagree. Pretty much all true #1 WR's are good route runners.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Dez was always a bad route runner. It was like he just wasn't interested. Sad, because he had the ability.

I have to disagree. Pretty much all true #1 WR's are good route runners.

Dez was a true #1 before he got injured and paid. If he was a good route runner he would've been Michael Irvin 2.0. All wideouts have their strengths and their weaknesses. Like T.O. had a case of the drops, but still a true #1.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dez was a true #1 before he got injured and paid. If he was a good route runner he would've been Michael Irvin 2.0. All wideouts have their strengths and their weaknesses. Like T.O. had a case of the drops, but still a true #1.
Debatable.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Debatable.
Maybe. :) I was down on Dez for awhile. Or I used to say he was more like Alvin Harper than Michael irvin early in his career :) because he would make one big play and then disappear. Though the 2014 Dez :) seemed like the real deal to me. Then He got injured/payed and went down hill.

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe. :) I was down on Dez for awhile. Or I used to say he was more like Alvin Harper than Michael irvin early in his career :) because he would make one big play and then disappear. Though the 2014 Dez :) seemed like the real deal to me. Then He got injured/payed and went down hill.
Most people have forgotten how Romo just started ripping the ball into Dez at the snap to force him to pay attention. IMO, you should never have to do that to a #1 WR. And too many times you could see Dez jogging his routes when his number wasn't called. #1 WR's just don't do that. Ever.

silvrNblue

Reaction score

Top 5 defense
Top 5 running game

Ownership and coaching... that's my take on it.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Most people have forgotten how Romo just started ripping the ball into Dez at the snap to force him to pay attention. IMO, you should never have to do that to a #1 WR. And too many times you could see Dez jogging his routes when his number wasn't called. #1 WR's just don't do that. Ever.

Dunno, if you get Dez numbers, when he was at his peek, then you are a #1 WR.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
If he was so inaccurate that WR's were having to do this then his interceptions would be up.
Open in the NFL means the BD in on your butt. People rarely get that wide open at this level where a guy could have the QB rating he has without being accurate.

The stats show that he isnt a checkdown charlie QB. Look them up. Look at how he performed once we got a real WR for him to throw the ball to.

You just don't produce the wins, or stats he has produced without being accurate enough. The guy has only played for 3 seasons. 1 was the greatest rookie year anyone has had as a QB, and 1 was a probowl appearance. We won the division 2 out of 3 seasons with Dak. He has a career QB rating of 96. This stuff doesnt happen to a QB who is as inaccurate as some like to think.
That assumes all innacurracies are to the defender, that isnt realistic. if you throw a wheel route out of bounds, worm burn a WR screen, make a player stop on a crossing route (allowing defender running full speed to tackle for a 2 yrd gain vs 20yard gain). He has also not repeated the rookie season, and went 3 games not scoring 1 TD.

I dont really care if they want to go with him or not, but he isnt top a 10 QB. So you plan accordingly

superonyx

Reaction score
That assumes all innacurracies are to the defender, that isnt realistic. if you throw a wheel route out of bounds, worm burn a WR screen, make a player stop on a crossing route (allowing defender running full speed to tackle for a 2 yrd gain vs 20yard gain). He has also not repeated the rookie season, and went 3 games not scoring 1 TD.

I dont really care if they want to go with him or not, but he isnt top a 10 QB. So you plan accordingly
Pretty sure they have planned accordingly.
That’s why we have Zeke and Cooper.
We don’t need a top 5 QB.
What suggestions do you have for replacing Dak?