Mike Leach on QB accuracy

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Well, to be fair the evidence in this case is pretty weak.

That Giants game seems to be the only example Quincy can produce and that nextgen tight window stat really doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

To be fair it was the first one that popped into my head because it was such a big play of the game and was very recent, and you dont even know what you're trying to say regarding the nextgenstat lmao.
Dak made multiple throws before the break with Brice Butler surprisingly, including one against the rams for a gain of around 28ish yards.

Also up the seam to Jarwin in double coverage to Jarwim for our first score against Giants.

So to be fair, your counterargument is really weak.

Last edited:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
That is the only example you have repeatedly used including with me in an earlier discussion. Now you're trying to use examples from prior seasons to a receiver who no longer is on the team. You're going to have to show me those examples before I take them seriously.

Nextgen stats.
Receiver is wide open. Dak finally sees him. Ponders whether to throw it or not. Decides to throw then begins his windup. Meanwhile the DB is watching all this unfold and figures he better get his butt over to that wide open receiver which he does just as the ball does. Boom. Tight window pass complete.

I could paint another scenario or two but we both know I'm wasting my time so, Go Cowboys!

HungryLion

Reaction score
Well, to be fair the evidence in this case is pretty weak.

That Giants game seems to be the only example Quincy can produce and that nextgen tight window stat really doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

Under what scrutiny does erod’s “eye test” hold up though?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Doesn't that stat try to measure the relationship of the DB to the receiver at the time the ball arrives?

If so it doesn't take into account the speed of the QB's recogntion, decision making process and delivery which can allow the DB to close the gap on what was an open receiver. Also, an inaccurate pass causing the receiver to slow down or reach behind is not factored in.

This is why the eye test is relevant in conjunction with the stats to get the whole picture. It is true that all of the factors I listed here have been criticisms of Dak by many here on this forum as well as many in the media based on their eye tests. It's difficult for me to disregard all of those opinions in favor of single point in time snapshot stat, especially when my own eye test tells me the same thing.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I misread this as you asking under what scrutiny does the nextgen stat not hold up. Sorry about that.

I can't speak for Erod but it's clear that he is not alone in his opinion both here and among the media pundits so there is that.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I misread this as you asking under what scrutiny does the nextgen stat not hold up. Sorry about that.

I can't speak for Erod but it's clear that he is not alone in his opinion both here and among the media pundits so there is that.

I would say his opinion is a bit more extreme than most media pundits though.

But it’s also not just about the next gen stats. The truth is, he Poo poo’s any stat that doesn’t fall in line with his “eye ball test”. And that goes for stats that aren’t as subjective as the close window stat, such as, QB rating, completion Percentage, QB rating on long distance throws. Performance in 4th quarters, etc.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I would say his opinion is a bit more extreme than most media pundits though.

But it’s also not just about the next gen stats. The truth is, he Poo poo’s any stat that doesn’t fall in line with his “eye ball test”. And that goes for stats that aren’t as subjective as the close window stat, such as, QB rating, completion Percentage, QB rating on long distance throws. Performance in 4th quarters, etc.
Yea. We have extremists on both sides who fit the evidence to their opinion rather than the other way around. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.

Just like Dak.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

There is no coach that can teach Dak how to throw a football. You're either accurate, or you're not.

The notion that a QB can't improve his accuracy is like saying a pitcher can't improve his control. Both are demonstrably untrue.

Whether Dak can is a Dak thing (and a coaching thing), but the blanket assertion that no one can is garbage.

starcity214

Reaction score
So...

We're going into his fourth year as a starter..

And at least his 8th year playing the position since college and HS.

And the guy still has to learn to be accurate?

Maybe he just doesn't have it.

On that note, Patrick Mahomes throws a better more accurate ball when he's off balance and looking the other way than Dak does when he sets his feet.

For those of you that say Accuracy is overrated, let me assure you that it's the most important thing a QB possesses. It's not leadership or brains. If you can't get the ball where it needs to be you will struggle.

"Duuh, why can't we run rubb routes like the Patriots ?!"

Because it takes an accurate QB throwing pin point passes or else if he's off by just a little it will be a pick.

"Duuh, why can't we run an offense like Andy Reid's?!"

Because it takes an accurate QB to throw those RAC routes. The QB has to hit his receivers in stride and lead them so they don't have to slow down to make a catch. Joe Montana was great at this.

I feel sorry for Moore. He will literally have to reinvent the wheel to make Dak a top 10 QB.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So...

On that note, Patrick Mahomes throws a better more accurate ball when he's off balance and looking the other way than Dak does when he sets his feet.

For those of you that say Accuracy is overrated, let me assure you that it's the most important thing a QB possesses. It's not leadership or brains. If you can't get the ball where it needs to be you will struggle.

Because it takes an accurate QB throwing pin point passes or else if he's off by just a little it will be a pick.

Because it takes an accurate QB to throw those RAC routes. The QB has to hit his receivers in stride and lead them so they don't have to slow down to make a catch. Joe Montana was great at this.

I feel sorry for Moore. He will literally have to reinvent the wheel to make Dak a top 10 QB.

You’re right. We just need to draft somebody as good as Patrick Mahomes.

The answer is soooo easy.

I can’t believe nobody in the front office thought of that.

cern

Reaction score
I maintain the best way to judge a qb's accuracy is in the overall won/loss record at years end. if he's accurate, we should win more games. if not, we lose more. game plan, play calling, receivers route running and blocking up front all impact the accuracy argument. even brady looks buffoonish with linemen in his face. all qb's do. but the record after the final game tells the overall story.

Reactions: G2

Hadenough

Reaction score
No, it’s not common sense at all.

Dak’s arm is plenty strong enough. The balls that sail on him are from poor technique in general. Not from him having to try and throw too hard.

You’re trying to put words into the mouths of professional scouts. If professional scouts thought he lacked the needed arm strength, they would just say that. However, none of his scouting reports do say that.
Lot of truth here.

Most of the accurate QBs can just "flick" the ball 30 yards downfield. Less motion means more accuracy. They throw it from their ear rather than from a wind up.
In 2016 there was a time where Daks mechanics went off and OMG I about threw up in my mouth when Beasley was wide open in the flat 15 yards away stopped and looking at Dak and Dak throws right at him and the ball lands 10 feet short. And this happened more than once. In 40 years of watching football I ha e never ever seen such a weak throw.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Is that why he made the pro bowl for the 2nd time in his first 3 years? All your eye test proves is that you are blind. :clap::clap:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So...

He is plenty accurate. Your just plenty upset that we made the playoffs, won a playoff game, and Dak made the pro bowl again. LOL

Poor guy, its only going to get worse for you petty Dak trolls.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Is that why he made the pro bowl for the 2nd time in his first 3 years? All your eye test proves is that you are blind. :clap::clap:
Lol. You got embarrassed in that other thread now you're here posting gibberish?

Go to bed and sleep it off Roy. Tomorrow's a new day.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
This thread is mostly crud and, I'm afraid to say, I am one of it's larger culprits.

Can we just burn this thread in a crematorium and move on to the next, fresher garbage thread we can all piss on?

Seriously.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lol. You got embarrassed in that other thread now you're here posting gibberish?

Go to bed and sleep it off Roy. Tomorrow's a new day.

Poor Dak trolls were having the season of your lives when we were 3-5. Then we got Cooper and fired the Oline coach and Dak went 7-1 and won a playoff game and you little cry babies got flushed down the toilet.

Then for good measure he made the pro bowl as if it wasnt enough embarrassment for you.

Soon Dak will ge resigned to a big contract and you will kick and scream some more. Music to my ears buddy. Keep up the bad fight. What the heck, you look silly already. No shame looks good on you. :yourock::yourock: