Mike Lombardi Rips Jason Garrett's Coaching Ability

blindzebra

Reaction score
Does nobody just want to believe those 8-8 defenses were as bad as they were? I mean, franchise worst. In the running for some of the worst in the league.

And we went 8-8 in three consecutive seasons with a very good QB, a rebuilding OL and still managed to compete for the division every season. These are reasons for coming up short. Not excuses. The fans acting like those 2011, 2012 teams ought to have been shoe-ins for the playoffs and further are the ones remembering things more rosily than they actually were, not the other way around.

And, as a sideline...there's no reason to be a 'homer' for a coach. Either the guy can coach or he can't. If he can coach, then there have to be other reasons why the team isn't getting it done. You're not being a homer fan who you say 'the problem is A, and not B.' It doesn't paint a rosier picture to say the HC or the QB is good, but the defense is bad. But it just doesn't make any sense to watch a secondary get splintered in successive playoff losses by a QB who has too much time to sit back there and pick it apart and keep concluding the problem is with the offensive play calling.
It doesn't help that in both games GB couldn't get a holding penalty called on them short of putting chains and a straight jacket on the DL, and there is that whole they get a FG on a dropped pass that didn't get overturned and then that Dez catch thing in game one, and that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that wasn't last year.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The division was awful and we had a great QB. If we were in any other division we wouldn't have competed. Didn't expect the team to do anything in the playoffs but to get eliminated 3 straight years to each of your division rivals is hard to take.

Let's see in 2011 the awful team that won the division won the Super Bowl.

LittleD

Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily take a great coach to make the NFL playoffs, especially as a wild card team. It does take a special
head coach to advance to Championship games and here is where Garrett does not measure up. Twice with good teams
in the playoffs and choke's it away each time. Jason is just the #RKG material.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Hmm. Who's worse?

Jason Garrett as HC or Mike Lombardi as GM?

Lombardi had Matt Millen-type skills as a GM. He's much better at criticizing others
than succeeding when actually being in charge of anything. Flame on, Mikey.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
People like Lombardi are not taking into account the Jerry factor. The big name head coaches don't want to work for Jerry. Maybe Sean Payton would but that's about the only one.

Having said that, I think Garrett is probably better than the coaches in the bottom half of the league most years.

People seem to forget how bad some guys are when they become Head Coaches. Mike Singletary, Wade Phillips, etc..

I agree......and when Garrett took this franchise over it was abysmal.....I know some may overrate the talent that was here but that same talent quit on Phillips.

"Never get a fair shake" lol

Can you show me a HC in the last 20-25 years who inherited a top 5 QB, coached him for more than 3 years and has a worse playoff record than ginger?

The only one that comes close is Pagano and there is no way I want him coaching my team

With any other GM Garrett would have been fired years ago

Even blindness and hyperbole should have their limits

Well maybe he didn't have a top 5 qb afterall?

When I say "fair shot" i'm not referring to how many chances he got in Dallas. Jerry is loyal. Loyal to a fault at times. Some would argue that applies here with Garrett.

When I say "fair shot" I mean in regards to the job he's done here. When they win its because of the great job Maranelli did or the great job Linehan did with the offense. When they lose its the hand clapping Garret's fault. That's what I mean by fair shot. This team will never truly be his. It will be whatever Jerry allows it to be.

No other coach has to put up with the circus Garrett has to from the top to the bottom.

If Jimmy failed, then I want Garrett to fail under Jerry exactly the same friggin way.

Who said Jimmy failed?

Dwight

Reaction score
Our great mistake, and I hope we are not lamenting this even more several years from now, was not running to the phone the second we heard Harbaugh was out in San Fran. I actually think he might have already had us in the Super Bowl by now.

I mentioned that a couple of years go as well. If we do not get to the Super Bowl and win Jerry needs to go to Michigan and knock on Harbaugh's door offering him a big salary.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Lombardi is right, I don't care how bad the defense was, we should have beaten Green Bay without Nelson. You're at home, everything was aligned for us.....I'm still sick about that L.

It's interesting because this one stung worse than the "dez catch" because at least we could hang our hats on the fact that it took one of the most controversial calls in NFL history to knock us out.

This years loss though really stung. I was at both in person but this one took me some time to get over.

And for that I will never forgive Jason 'AIRett'

bandfan

Reaction score
Looks to me like Lombardi learned the media mantra pretty quick. Cowboys = clicks. If he said all that because that is his opinion that's fine. I just suspect that it was something more than that. "I'm a Cowboys fan", sounds more like a job application to me....

Zordon

Reaction score
It's interesting because this one stung worse than the "dez catch" because at least we could hang our hats on the fact that it took one of the most controversial calls in NFL history to knock us out.

This years loss though really stung. I was at both in person but this one took me some time to get over.

And for that I will never forgive Jason 'AIRett'
I agree 100%.

This one stung more because home teams win close to 70% of the time in the playoffs. Also, everything seemed to be aligned for us last year - weak division, weak conference, critical injuries on other teams, the feel good nature of Dak/Zeke, bad press/chemistry infiltrating other lockerooms. Unfortunately our square of a head coach decided to relax the last month of the season and suck the life out of the team. Unforgivable how he changed our run first philosophy out of nowhere.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
While I think that JG's future should have a tight leash to create some success on this team, I do give him a pass for 2015. Nobody was winning with that terrible carousel of QBs. In hindsight, it did net us some great players. This defense could still handicap us too. If the defense can come together like we all hope it will and Dak stays Dak, it's time for JG to put up or get out.

bigbob

Reaction score
Agree 100% any goodwill he earned for a 13-3 went completely out the window by losing their first payoff game.
Well it does reflect poorly but a 13-3 season is more fun than 3-13.
Also it isn't just jg it is the oc dc and
The Jones that u have to credit or blame

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Garrett isn't a great coach, probably middle of the pack. His tenure would suggest that he should be better than that. He is kind of in Jeff Fisher territory. He needs to build his legacy soon or he likely won't be around more than a couple years. He has everything a coach could want on offense. They are committing more to the defense and probably will over the next couple drafts.