Mike Martz's take on Trey Lance

Motorola

Reaction score
that was Dick Vermeil, I thought?
After a poor 1998 season offensively, the St. Louis Rams VP in 1999 suggested to HC Vermeil to hire Martz as OC - and Vermeil agreed.
Martz then requested the Rams acquire Trent Green from the ReddFoxskins to replace their 3-year starter-malcontent- failure Tony Banks - and they did just that. That moved then 3rd string Warner to backup QB.
Then Green sustained a serious injury in a preseason game - and the rest is history.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He can’t do that with a QB who takes up thirty percent of the salary cap and “craps the bed” in the playoffs.
Dak signed a 4 year $160M contract. That is $40M a year. If our GM is dumb enough to push his contract back to $59M, because of the dead cap space of Zeke and other dumb decisions he made that is his fault.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Can you praise GM Jethro's roster building?

How are they mutually exclusive???

Please explain.

Always an out for Dak . We’ve been down the decade long playoff drought success with Romo now we’re repeating . I’ve seen enough . I’m ready for a change at the position .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Let Dak play out 24 with the current contact . Extending sounds insane . Same with MM glad Jerry can get out from under the current contracts of both after the last whistle of 24 .

Chasing6

Reaction score
Always an out for Dak . We’ve been down the decade long playoff drought success with Romo now we’re repeating . I’ve seen enough . I’m ready for a change at the position .
Nothing will change. It will be the same result.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Let Dak play out 24 with the current contact . Extending sounds insane . Same with MM glad Jerry can get out from under the current contracts of both after the last whistle of 24 .
We want Coop 2025..RUSH RUSH RUSH

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This is the guy who didnt see that he had a pro bowl QB on his roster - Kurt Warner. Only started him when a clearly inferior starter got injured. Warner's NFLE scouting reports graded him as pro bowl calibre - so Martz had no excuses.
Who the heck saw Kurt Warner as anything special? Dick Vermeil is the one who planned on starting Trent Green until he was injured. It’s not like Belichick knew what he had in Brady until he had to play. Warner got an opportunity and made the most of it.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Agree. I was simply expounding on what you were saying!!!!!

Only thing I don't agree w/ is "great scheme". When your scheme depends on the OL holding their blocks for huge amounts of time, then that is a poor scheme.
I get your take, but it's hard to deny that the greatest show on turf was something special in it's genesis. Defenses did eventually catch up to it, and the Rams did get older, but that offense won the Rams a championship after nearly a decade worth of losing seasons. I can't reasonably say it was a bad scheme. Just dated by the end of their run.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dak signed a 4 year $160M contract. That is $40M a year. If our GM is dumb enough to push his contract back to $59M, because of the dead cap space of Zeke and other dumb decisions he made that is his fault.
Fault and blame. Nice.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
I don't give a hill of beans what Mike Martz has to say about anything.. Cowboys need to find out what Trey Lance has to offer, and more importantly, why the 49ers gave up so much to pick him 3rd. overall in the draft 3 years ago??

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't give a hill of beans what Mike Martz has to say about anything.. Cowboys need to find out what Trey Lance has to offer, and more importantly, why the 49ers gave up so much to pick him 3rd. overall in the draft 3 years ago??
More importantly why they gave up on him after 2 years for a 4th.

kskboys

Reaction score
I get your take, but it's hard to deny that the greatest show on turf was something special in it's genesis. Defenses did eventually catch up to it, and the Rams did get older, but that offense won the Rams a championship after nearly a decade worth of losing seasons. I can't reasonably say it was a bad scheme. Just dated by the end of their run.
It's not that the D's caught up w/ it, it's that the OL got old. The greatest show on turf was primarily about downfield passing which requires a great OL. As soon as that great OL started aging, the O didn't work anymore.

To add, the only year they won the super bowl, they had the #4 D in the NFL.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No, unfortunately you will see more of GM Jethro.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Dumb enough? Dak's greed has to be factored in as well, he forced shorter contract to be able to demand more money in a few years. They didn't have a legitimate back up plan then, they went out and got one now.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dumb enough? Dak's greed has to be factored in as well, he forced shorter contract to be able to demand more money in a few years. They didn't have a legitimate back up plan then, they went out and got one now.
No they still don't have one, but that must be Dak's fault as well.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
There's a large group of fans on this forum that think changing the quarterback (Dak) is the magic formula that will make all this team's problems go away.

Guess they weren't paying attention between 1996-2015.

There's a large group of fans on this forum that think by keeping our current Deer in the Headlights Dak Cousins Choker and click our heels that magically all this team's problems will be fixed .

Guess trey weren't paying attention between 2015-2024