Mike Martz's take on Trey Lance

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Bulger was a very good QB who got ruined by Martz's schemes which required the OL to hold for long periods of time. Problem was, that great OL of the Rams was getting old at this point, and Bulger got the crapp beat out of him. He went the same way as fine young Qbs Archie Manning, David Carr, Jim Everett, and Andrew Luck. They all got hit so much it ruined their careers. Can't judge a player who gets ruined by being in a bad scheme or on a bad team.
Bulger was good. I'm not disputing this. Warner was great, but it felt like at the time that Martz wanted him out from the beginning. His guy Trent Green didn't pan out as he expected, and Martz held a weird grudge that eventually pushed Kurt out of town. Mike Martz was a great OC for a time, but his ego and inability to find the right guys ended the greatest show on turf prematurely. As Vermiel's guys grew older and retired, Martz couldn't properly replace them, and as you said, his scheme fell apart.

My post isn't about Bulger v Warner. It's about the incompetence of Martz as a talent evaluator, and his lack of credibility on the subject. I'm not saying Lance is the guy. I have my doubts that he's an effective replacement plan for Dak. So much so that if the right guy fell, I'd go QB early in this draft. I just wouldn't listen to a word this guy says about a young player that I doubt he's had any sort of interaction with.

CWR

Reaction score
Bulger was good. I'm not disputing this. Warner was great, but it felt like at the time that Martz wanted him out from the beginning. His guy Trent Green didn't pan out as he expected, and Martz held a weird grudge that eventually pushed Kurt out of town. Mike Martz was a great OC for a time, but his ego and inability to find the right guys ended the greatest show on turf prematurely. As Vermiel's guys grew older and retired, Martz couldn't properly replace them, and as you said, his scheme fell apart.

My post isn't about Bulger v Warner. It's about the incompetence of Martz as a talent evaluator, and his lack of credibility on the subject. I'm not saying Lance is the guy. I have my doubts that he's an effective replacement plan for Dak. So much so that if the right guy fell, I'd go QB early in this draft. I just wouldn't listen to a word this guy says about a young player that I doubt he's had any sort of interaction with.
Was listening to a Cowboys Break today and they commented on how they haven't heard a single negative thing about Lance since his arrival. They also said the staff in SanFran said he was the starter, that was the plan but he just managed to get hurt at the most inopportune times, as in every time he was gaining any momentum. So far in Dallas he's done everything asked of him and he hasn't given anyone the belief he can't play. The biggest criticism came early from MM, and that was he's a little green.

I'll be interested to see what he can manage this pre season.

kskboys

Reaction score

Agree. I was simply expounding on what you were saying!!!!!

Only thing I don't agree w/ is "great scheme". When your scheme depends on the OL holding their blocks for huge amounts of time, then that is a poor scheme.

Proof

Reaction score
He didn't play with them enough. First year was redshirt. Year before that he didn't play due to covid. Year 2 gets injured. Year 3 Brock starts. So, not great but also understandable why he not as productive with a good squad. The team was trying to win now and investing in Jimmy G.
fair enough. brock hadn't played with them much either though, and hit the ground running. just hard situation to unpack for me.

Chasing6

Reaction score
fair enough. brock hadn't played with them much either though, and hit the ground running. just hard situation to unpack for me.
And a more serious injury. Also Brock played while Trance sat during Covid.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Brock played all 4 years in college and was more day 1 ready. Lance was always going to need some time to develop...he just never got the focus/time/luck he needed. That's why Shanahan said, "I feel like I failed Trey..." because he had to put the team before Trey's development...which was obviously part of what they anticipated he would need.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Brock played all 4 years in college and was more day 1 ready. Lance was always going to need some time to develop...he just never got the focus/time/luck he needed. That's why Shanahan said, "I feel like I failed Trey..." because he had to put the team before Trey's development...which was obviously part of what they anticipated he would need.
Trance failed himself sitting out during Covid.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Cousins is nothing more than middle of the road . What we see in Dallas
Four NFC East titles for Dak, the most since Aikman was the QB. Don’t see any middle of the road QBs doing that. I get that it hasn’t gone well in the playoffs but you can’t keep putting it all on Dak. If we don’t fix some of the issues with the team especially defensively it won’t be any better with the next QB. It will likely be worse.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Four NFC East titles for Dak, the most since Aikman was the QB. Don’t see any middle of the road QBs doing that. I get that it hasn’t gone well in the playoffs but you can’t keep putting it all on Dak.
Seeing comments about Eagles running circles on us, then how is the above possible with Dak?

RonWashington

Reaction score
NFCE titles are swell . In no way shape or form can you praise Prescotts post season career .

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
This is the guy who didnt see that he had a pro bowl QB on his roster - Kurt Warner. Only started him when a clearly inferior starter got injured. Warner's NFLE scouting reports graded him as pro bowl calibre - so Martz had no excuses.
that was Dick Vermeil, I thought?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Can you praise GM Jethro's roster building?

How are they mutually exclusive???

Please explain.
GM Jethro is no longer building rosters like he used to with Larry Lacewell, et al. He hired McClay who is basically the roster builder with a group committee making decisions and Jerry always having final say. Even other NFL scouts and GMs have said the Cowboys have drafted well over the past decade.

Chasing6

Reaction score
GM Jethro is no longer building rosters like he used to with Larry Lacewell, et al. He hired McClay who is basically the roster builder with a group committee making decisions and Jerry always having final say. Even other NFL scouts and GMs have said the Cowboys have drafted well over the past decade.
Drafting well is only a portion of building a roster.