Mike Martz's take on Trey Lance

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
In fairness to Martz, Marc Bulger wasn't chopped liver. He made a Pro Bowl immediately after taking over from Warner, and went to another in '06. Injuries and Martz's suicidal gameplans cooked him (7 step drop pass plays on a gutted-out 2 win offense), but he had talent.
I liked Bulger. No disrespect meant towards him. He went 6-1 in Kurt's absence in 02 and won 12 games after Martz benched Warner in 03. He never won more than 8 games afterwards throughout his career. He put up some decent numbers. His TD/INT rate was 122:93 and he had a 62% completion percentage for his career. Not bad for the time, but nothing to write home about.

Kurt was a 2x all-pro, Super Bowl winner, and legend when he was benched. I think there was something going on behind the scenes with him and Martz. They went 14-2 in Mike's second year as coach, but lost to Tom Brady in the Super Bowl and it seemed like the mojo was gone afterwards. Warner went 0-6 in 02 before getting hurt and lost his first game in 03, losing 6 fumbles. He never played another snap for the Rams. There were some rough years with the Giants and Cardinals but eventually made it back to the dance with Arizona before calling it a career.

Martz always struck me as the guy that thought he was the smartest in the room. His offense was dynamic, but it did feel like he was trying to do too much, which put unnecessary pressure on his QBs, and it eventually ended Warner's tenure in St Louis. Maybe Bulger made the best of a bad situation, but I can't help but wonder if they had a better coach at the helm, if they could've extended their successful run, rather than shining bright and fading rapidly after Vermiel left.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I didn’t see this great post until now.

Nice work….and very true.

Although if you look at most of our regular season games against playoff caliber opponents, it’s the same.

Dallas is routinely outcoached by the other side and it’s been that way for some time. But the top qualifier is never about a HCs ability to outscheme opponents, it’s if Jerry can push them around and perform his little act and be a celebrity. Most decent coaches don’t want to get involved, so you’re left with whoever is desperate for a paycheck (Mike, with Zimmer next) or is still very green and happy for the opportunity (Garrett, Moore).

The FO leaves gaping holes in the starting lineup that the better coaches are going to find and exploit.

Coaching absolutely matters, and Jerry doesn’t agree. He is still trying to collect stars and have someone stand on the sidelines that won’t take the spotlight away from him. That type of person will not have an easy time commanding an NFL locker room.

Still, Jerry and his kid think they are “close.”

Three extremely difficult wins away from a championship is not that. Delusional and clueless is more like it.
I understand and see we are getting out coached in some areas. However, it is easy to out coach an inferior team.

Coaches look like genius when they have more talent.

Good coaches look for strategic advantages whether that is through player personnel, play calls, schemes, tendencies or whatever.

That is why a lot of teams have decided to just run directly at Micah.

kskboys

Reaction score
I understand and see we are getting out coached in some areas. However, it is easy to out coach an inferior team.

Coaches look like genius when they have more talent.

Good coaches look for strategic advantages whether that is through player personnel, play calls, schemes, tendencies or whatever.

That is why a lot of teams have decided to just run directly at Micah.
Very well said.

Dallas had no LB's and weak DT's. Doesn't take a genius to run the ball against us.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Watch Trey Lance last 49ers preseason game...

I know it preseason. But he is looking S off, making plays with his legs, and throwing with confidence.
Now watch this video...

Chasing6

Reaction score

I know it preseason. But he is looking S off, making plays with his legs, and throwing with confidence.
Now watch this video...

Preseason is JV tryouts.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
The opposing defense might have been full of scrubs, but the same thing could be said about the offensive players. It cuts both ways.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You responded in 1 minute so you did not watch both videos and I said it was preseason.
I have sean them before. Really is not a ton of tape on him like some people keep talking about.

He is a great athlete. He can move around and buy time. He can hit an open WR. I would everyone knows that he can do that.

The question is can he play QB, where he can consistently get the ball out in 3.5 seconds and can make throws in tight spaces. Can he process what he sees? Based on his limited play time, he will most likely struggle, because he has not had the reps that he needs.

He maybe smart as hell and can read it on a chalk board. It is different on the field, in full speed and we don't have the Niners supporting cast.

At the end of the day regardless, he will still be sitting on the bench watching Dak play and then be a FA. That is why it was a wasted trade.

Time will tell if he makes in the future and in what team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yet, Dak played well in the preseason too. No one knew he was going to play well in the regular season either.
That is really not the issue. Dak will be our QB. Trance will not play unless he gets hurt and he will be a FA.

We will not find out if he is any good or not.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
That is really not the issue. Dak will be our QB. Trance will not play unless he gets hurt and he will be a FA.

We will not find out if he is any good or not.
I can only respond to what you wrote. And the poster didn't write anything about Dak and neither did you.

Jimbo123

Reaction score

Now watch this video...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:LMAO
This video was when he played in the 4th quarter of a preseason game against guys now selling cars or flipping burgers. HE WAS TRADED TO THE COWBOYS 6 DAYS LATER.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Martz has always been a clown. Got lucky with Warner as Warner was all Vermeil anyway. I trust Shanahan over Martz anyway. Lance got hurt, Purdy stepped up and kept the job. Lance got Wally Pip

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
9ers had so many weapons mr irrelevant was an immediate mvp caliber qb. so lances excuse is...?
He didn't play with them enough. First year was redshirt. Year before that he didn't play due to covid. Year 2 gets injured. Year 3 Brock starts. So, not great but also understandable why he not as productive with a good squad. The team was trying to win now and investing in Jimmy G.

Adreme

Reaction score
Martz has always been a clown. Got lucky with Warner as Warner was all Vermeil anyway. I trust Shanahan over Martz anyway. Lance got hurt, Purdy stepped up and kept the job. Lance got Wally Pip
And then Shanahan decided that Sam Darnold was the better QB for the backup spot. They only decided to trade Lance after Darnold won the backup competition. If you trust Shanahan over Martz then that means you realize Lance was worse than Darnold last year. Furthermore, with these whispers of Dallas even considering drafting a QB that seems to imply the coaching staff saw nothing from Lance all year so now 2 coaching staffs have seen Lance play and have not been impressed.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:LMAO
This video was when he played in the 4th quarter of a preseason game against guys now selling cars or flipping burgers. HE WAS TRADED TO THE COWBOYS 6 DAYS LATER.
That is why it is call preseason. Mike Martz has not been credible in the NFL in 30 years. So you get a top 10 talent prospect for peanuts. Sounds like SF just wanted to clear the room and not have QB controversy during the year. Which would have happen when SF went on that losing streak in the 2nd QTR of the year.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I have sean them before. Really is not a ton of tape on him like some people keep talking about.

He is a great athlete. He can move around and buy time. He can hit an open WR. I would everyone knows that he can do that.

The question is can he play QB, where he can consistently get the ball out in 3.5 seconds and can make throws in tight spaces. Can he process what he sees? Based on his limited play time, he will most likely struggle, because he has not had the reps that he needs.

He maybe smart as hell and can read it on a chalk board. It is different on the field, in full speed and we don't have the Niners supporting cast.

At the end of the day regardless, he will still be sitting on the bench watching Dak play and then be a FA. That is why it was a wasted trade.

Time will tell if he makes in the future and in what team.
You mean can he play QB in the NFL at a playoff caliber level. He can play QB in college that is a given. He has talent potential to be a top 5 pick that a respected front office traded up to draft him. But like Parcells said "potential means you have not done anything yet."

RonWashington

Reaction score
Cousins will probably be great for Atlanta.

The year before they got Bijon the run game was dicing people up. They ran well last year but Art Smith was pretty trash.

With a new coach, that run game and the pass catchers I think Cousins does fine. He had studs in Minny though so maybe that was as good as he gets.

It really just goes to show what a rare commodity a good qb is the league.

Cousins is nothing more than middle of the road . What we see in Dallas

kskboys

Reaction score
I liked Bulger. No disrespect meant towards him. He went 6-1 in Kurt's absence in 02 and won 12 games after Martz benched Warner in 03. He never won more than 8 games afterwards throughout his career. He put up some decent numbers. His TD/INT rate was 122:93 and he had a 62% completion percentage for his career. Not bad for the time, but nothing to write home about.

Kurt was a 2x all-pro, Super Bowl winner, and legend when he was benched. I think there was something going on behind the scenes with him and Martz. They went 14-2 in Mike's second year as coach, but lost to Tom Brady in the Super Bowl and it seemed like the mojo was gone afterwards. Warner went 0-6 in 02 before getting hurt and lost his first game in 03, losing 6 fumbles. He never played another snap for the Rams. There were some rough years with the Giants and Cardinals but eventually made it back to the dance with Arizona before calling it a career.

Martz always struck me as the guy that thought he was the smartest in the room. His offense was dynamic, but it did feel like he was trying to do too much, which put unnecessary pressure on his QBs, and it eventually ended Warner's tenure in St Louis. Maybe Bulger made the best of a bad situation, but I can't help but wonder if they had a better coach at the helm, if they could've extended their successful run, rather than shining bright and fading rapidly after Vermiel left.
Bulger was a very good QB who got ruined by Martz's schemes which required the OL to hold for long periods of time. Problem was, that great OL of the Rams was getting old at this point, and Bulger got the crapp beat out of him. He went the same way as fine young Qbs Archie Manning, David Carr, Jim Everett, and Andrew Luck. They all got hit so much it ruined their careers. Can't judge a player who gets ruined by being in a bad scheme or on a bad team.