Mike McCarthy a fraud?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And as bad as it has been, there are a variety of reasons it's awful. Anything could turn things around.
I just don't have a lot of confidence in the defensive coaching.

My only hope is that the players will catch on to his scheme shortly. Not that that's much of a hope, but it's all we have, certainly there's not a ton of available high level defensive players out there to sign, or that we have top notch players that are able to come off IR soon.

Sort of funny, when it was announced Gregory was reinstated, lots thought that would "fix" the defense, if only we could get more quarterback sacks/pressures, then the Browns run all over the defense, more pass rush isn't going to help that much...

Reactions: G2

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yep, and a first year coach. Not a 20 yr, just had a yr off to study film and pick my staff SB winning coach.
Rhule in Carolina as a first year guy has his squad at 2-2 after losing McCaffery for the year.

Sooooooo...

Yeah.

Go Cowboys
turns out coaching/scheme/players all matter..like a puzzle that has to fit together. If it doesnt fit, ya got problems. WE GOT PROBS.

cowboyec

Reaction score
our offense never would perform like this under garrett.
under Big Mc this O is hummin'.
defense however is not...and that is CLEARLY the issue.
garrett would never have shuffled different oline combinations to find something that works.
and i doubt he'd know how to use Schultz.
figure out the defense and this team will settle in.
garrett was the fraud.
never met a halftime adjustment he liked or even know how to do it.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The offense is the least of the problems, it’s the darn defense. They gave up the most rushing yards in franchise history. What a disgrace!
I was thinking kinda the same thing but there is a problem with this offense too. They are a big play offense that cant seem to put together short drives and grind things out running the ball. Zeke is a good running back but for some reason this teams run blocking schemes and players cant get a couple yards in big moments. Zeke might get 3 yards on 1st down and get stuffed on 2nd down and Dak with his inconsistency almost needs two opportunities to complete a 3rd and 7.

Bluedocd

Reaction score
DOESNT HELP THE CAUSE WHEN HE STANDS AND WATCHES. He isnt very good.
I should confess, I was never a fan of Jones drafting him so high. You don't draft injured players in the first two rounds period. So what has he given this team. A red shirt year, two more years of extremely poor play, one really good year, then big contract, now back to extremely bad play. Definitely not worth it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
almost promise you if we land a top 5 pick, we are trading back for picks. We are in a major overhaul on D. ALSO...Dak wont be here if we draft top 5. Thats sad because its not his fault the d sucks. But we cant pay everyone.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I recently watched Jaylon give an interview this past week. I didnt see a guy who loved football.the game. I saw a guy who was just happy to be here and liked what the game did FOR him..and his causes off the field. Did anyone see that interview? I saw a happy go lucky indifferent guy...almost too nice. I didnt see a passionate ball player that LOVED what he did for a living.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The offensive line is a patchwork quilt. Zeke is no longer explosive and he's a fumbling machine. I don't know if you really can expect things to get better by increasing the number of carries per game.

Many backs play better with more carries, hard to get into the flow of the game with 12 carries. Zeke's 228 lbs, can wear the defense down, but not with 12 carries. And he's not a "fumbling machine". In 2016 he had 3 in two games, and lots of people said the same thing. Then Zeke had only 3 in the next 10 games, including streaks of 4 and 3 games in a row with zero fumbles. In 2018 he had 2 in a game, followed by 8 games in a row with zero.

As far as being explosive, how do you be explosive when a yard after you get the ball you have a 300 lb lineman on your back. The run blocking is non-existent.

At this point I want Zeke cut, so he can go to a team that will actually BLOCK for him, poor guy has to beat, bang and bash his way through 3 tacklers just to get 4 yards...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
almost promise you if we land a top 5 pick, we are trading back for picks. We are in a major overhaul on D. ALSO...Dak wont be here if we draft top 5. Thats sad because its not his fault the d sucks. But we cant pay everyone.

Yup, need way more than one stud player on defense, we could get Aaron Donald and teams would just double him or run outside, might mean 1 or 2 more wins a year.

Need DT, S, LB, CB. I would say DE, but need to see if Gregory can do anything, and if A. Smith can keep going like he has.

I'll reserve judgment until then about the need for DE...

MMObserver

Reaction score
I've got to ask, how can Big Mac possibly be considered a fraud?

Isn't he coaching exactly as he did in Green Bay (for anyone paying attention)?

Give him a Hall of Fame QB (like Favre and Rodgers) or at least a talented one like Dak and a number of offensive weapons and Big Mac's offense will score a lot of points.

And his 2020 offense is scoring points in Dallas just like his previous ones did in Green Bay.

As for defense and special teams, well Mac never gave a rat's arse about those aspects of the game during his 13 seasons in Green Bay so why would anyone think he'd start caring about them now that he is in Dallas?

And as for the criticism that in hiring a defensive coordinator he cared more about giving the job to a good buddy like Mike Nolan than to the person most qualified, I suggest Cowboys' fans consider his undying loyalty to his equally loyal, and shockingly ineffective, defensive coordinator in Green Bay Dom Capers.

Perhaps even more enlightening for Cowboys' fans would be to consider who Mac hired to be his Special Teams Coordinators in GB.

First, he hired Shawn Slocum. Why?

Well, for those old enough to remember, Shawn's daddy R.C. coached Texas A & M and he and Big Mac coached for 1 year together at Pitt so even though Shawn had zero special teams coaching experience, Big Mac plucked him out of the college ranks in 2006 and quickly made him his longtime STs coordinator.

And how did Shawn's ST units perform?

In addition to finishing among the worst STs units year after year according to Rick Gosselin's rankings, they had one of the most well known STs breakdowns ever when Mac's Packers somehow blew a huge lead and lost to the Seahawks in the 2014 NFC Championship Game (the season Rodgers won his second MVP).

Many casual fans recall the Packer player (Brandon Bostick) who tried to play hero and fumbled away the onside kick that allowed the Seahawks to snatch victory away from sure defeat - even though coach Slocum later said Bostick was supposed to be blocking not trying to recover the ball. But most fans probably don't recall that Slocum's ST unit also gave up a fake field goal TD ... on a 4th-and-10 ... from the Green Bay 19-yard line ... late in the third quarter ... with the Packers seemingly in control and leading 16-0. Who would have thought Seattle might try a fake? Certainly not Big Mac's STs Coordinator.

Big Mac quietly dismissed Slocum shortly after the Packers debacle in Seattle and he never coached in the NFL again.

And who did Big Mac hire to replace Slocum to ensure his STs units were in top form while Aaron Rodgers was in his prime?

Why Ron Zook of course. Who better than someone who had failed spectacularly as a head coach at the University of Florida and then the University of Illinois -- a guy with no particular expertise in Special Teams mind you.

Shockingly, Zook's STs units performed just as poorly as Slocum's in Green Bay and when Big Mac was finally fired after 13 seasons (and 1 Super Bowl appearance) in Green Bay Zook took his coaching talents to ... Utah.

Not the University of Utah, but rather the Salt Lake Stallions of the American Alliance of Football, until that league disbanded. As with Slocum, somehow the other 31 NFL teams have not swooped in to hire Zookie to coach their squads.

(It got so bad on STs in GB, that Packer fans took to referring to yet another STs gaffe as being "zooked").

I hate to break it to Cowboys' fans, but Big Mac is not a fraud.

He is, however, a head coach with a track record of (1) consistently poor defensive and STs play and (2) hiring "buddies" rather than the person most qualified to coach on his staff.

If you really want to get worried about Big Mac's coaching acumen, take a look at his "coaching tree" sometime, but that is a subject for another day.

75boyz

Reaction score

Give him a Hall of Fame QB (like Favre and Rodgers) or at least a talented one like Dak and a number of offensive weapons and Big Mac's offense will score a lot of points.

And his 2020 offense is scoring points in Dallas just like his previous ones did in Green Bay.

As for defense and special teams, well Mac never gave a rat's arse about those aspects of the game during his 13 seasons in Green Bay so why would anyone think he'd start caring about them now that he is in Dallas?

And as for the criticism that in hiring a defensive coordinator he cared more about giving the job to a good buddy like Mike Nolan than to the person most qualified, I suggest Cowboys' fans consider his undying loyalty to his equally loyal, and shockingly ineffective, defensive coordinator in Green Bay Dom Capers.

Perhaps even more enlightening for Cowboys' fans would be to consider who Mac hired to be his Special Teams Coordinators in GB.

Well, for those old enough to remember, Shawn's daddy R.C. coached Texas A & M and he and Big Mac coached for 1 year together at Pitt so even though Shawn had zero special teams coaching experience, Big Mac plucked him out of the college ranks in 2006 and quickly made him his longtime STs coordinator.

In addition to finishing among the worst STs units year after year according to Rick Gosselin's rankings, they had one of the most well known STs breakdowns ever when Mac's Packers somehow blew a huge lead and lost to the Seahawks in the 2014 NFC Championship Game (the season Rodgers won his second MVP).

Many casual fans recall the Packer player (Brandon Bostick) who tried to play hero and fumbled away the onside kick that allowed the Seahawks to snatch victory away from sure defeat - even though coach Slocum later said Bostick was supposed to be blocking not trying to recover the ball. But most fans probably don't recall that Slocum's ST unit also gave up a fake field goal TD ... on a 4th-and-10 ... from the Green Bay 19-yard line ... late in the third quarter ... with the Packers seemingly in control and leading 16-0. Who would have thought Seattle might try a fake? Certainly not Big Mac's STs Coordinator.

Big Mac quietly dismissed Slocum shortly after the Packers debacle in Seattle and he never coached in the NFL again.

And who did Big Mac hire to replace Slocum to ensure his STs units were in top form while Aaron Rodgers was in his prime?

Why Ron Zook of course. Who better than someone who had failed spectacularly as a head coach at the University of Florida and then the University of Illinois -- a guy with no particular expertise in Special Teams mind you.

Shockingly, Zook's STs units performed just as poorly as Slocum's in Green Bay and when Big Mac was finally fired after 13 seasons (and 1 Super Bowl appearance) in Green Bay Zook took his coaching talents to ... Utah.

Not the University of Utah, but rather the Salt Lake Stallions of the American Alliance of Football, until that league disbanded. As with Slocum, somehow the other 31 NFL teams have not swooped in to hire Zookie to coach their squads.

(It got so bad on STs in GB, that Packer fans took to referring to yet another STs gaffe as being "zooked").

He is, however, a head coach with a track record of (1) consistently poor defensive and STs play and (2) hiring "buddies" rather than the person most qualified to coach on his staff.

If you really want to get worried about Big Mac's coaching acumen, take a look at his "coaching tree" sometime, but that is a subject for another day.

Appreciate you so much on this bro.

Now Mods can we please sticky this for Mandatory Forum Required Reading?

Fellow poster named Duncanslo was very adamant about the "hiring of Mike's Nolan buddy from way back in SF days as a red flag" and I agreed with him.
To have all the insight on Mike's Good Old Boys Network of coaches you provided here just adds that much more fuel to the fire.

So basically as you said this ain't a fraud, Its just Big Mike being Big Mike. No more no less.

I knew there was a reason in my discussions with others that my foundation is always based on returning to past behavioral patterns.

Oh well, Go Cowboys

catiii

Reaction score

If he's hiring buddies instead of good coaches, I call that a fraud.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Well, I think Dalton will force defenses to back up from 8 in the box way more regularly than they are doing it now with Dak.

Dalton sucks. There is a reason why the Bengals let him go. We can dream on about replacing Dak. His either going to sign for a big contract. Or he will sign an even bigger contract with another team and be more successful than he is here in Dallas.

We will then be cursed of having a franchise QB. Just look at Wa. Football Team. We will be just another bottom dweller.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dalton sucks. There is a reason why the Bengals let him go. We can dream on about replacing Dak. His either going to sign for a big contract. Or he will sign an even bigger contract with another team and be more successful than he is here in Dallas.

We will then be cursed of having a franchise QB. Just look at Wa. Football Team. We will be just another bottom dweller.

Dalton doesn’t have this roster. And Dalton is way better than Dak. And we saw Dak when Zeke was suspended and Cooper wasn’t here, so stop pretending this QB in training isnt being held back when they’ve been babysitting his mediocrity for years.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
But think back to our head coaching search.

It was not expansive.
Jerry's coaching search never is. The league really needs to stop hiring retread coaches and do a much better of diverse coaching searches. I am talking about different backgrounds, not just the retread or the hotshot offensive coordinator.

I'd like to see Dino Babers get a shot a coaching an NFL team.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Dalton doesn’t have this roster. And Dalton is way better than Dak. And we saw Dak when Zeke was suspended and Cooper wasn’t here, so stop pretending this QB in training isnt being held back when they’ve been babysitting his mediocrity for years.

Can Dalton play defense?

Dalton had a talented offense also in Cincinnati but not as talented as Dallas. So this thing that he never had talent is Bull@#$!.

Face it, Dalton is nothing more than a backup and will be for a very long time. Dak will get paid whether his in Dallas or not.

When he leaves we will become nothing more than bottom dwellers of the NFL. Take a look at Washington as an example.