Twitter: Mike McCarthy on Changes to the Offense

ESisback

Reaction score
I’d be very leary of overdoing screen passes if my qb has the talent of dikky doo. Sure we’d move the ball between the 20’s just fine (like we did this year) but eventually you get to the red zone, like we did this year.

I don’t think we need a $40m dollar qb to throw screen passes either

No one wants to spend 40 on the QB, but I don’t care if it’s screens or bombs—just so he helps us win.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
From the beginning McCarthy has been a supporter and believer in Moore. Unless he leaves for a HC job in a few years, Moore will be the next HC of the Cowboys.
Slow down with the anointing oil, will ya? Some of us wanted Kellen to go with the rest of them.
Now I can live with him still going with the assumption that McCarthy is gonna work with him, as these tweets suggest will happen, but I want to see it in action before I judge further

ESisback

Reaction score
1)30 mill salary, no taxes
2)10+ in endorsements
3)Enough cap space for good support system

This equals an obscenely wealthy young man being the QB of America’s Team as it returns to perennial contender status.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Soooooo refreshing NOT having Garrett.
It really is. I wanted either McC or Rivera because I think the window is open now but they could have hired any HC and that would have been an improvement over the HC situation. Having Garrett had become like having your ill mannered awesome person of a brother-in-law living in the basement. And I mean the situation, not the person. I'd gotten to the point that just seeing him on the sideline irritated me. I was getting really tired of discussing him here because it never changed.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
Slow down with the anointing oil, will ya? Some of us wanted Kellen to go with the rest of them.
Now I can live with him still going with the assumption that McCarthy is gonna work with him, as these tweets suggest will happen, but I want to see it in action before I judge further

I think people are just giddy about Garrett being gone, and are hopeful for the future.

ESisback

Reaction score
It really is. I wanted either McC or Rivera because I think the window is open nopw but they could have hired any HC and that would have been an improvement over the HC situation. Having Garrett had become like having your ill mannered awesome person of a brother-in-law living in the basement. And I mean the situation, not the person. I'd gotten to the point that just seeing him on the sideline irritated me. I was getting really tired of discussing him here because it never changed.

True dat, and I’m also SO TIRED of the never ending Dak saga. Git ‘er done!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If I don’t say “Dak sucks, we’re doomed”, that means I’m a cheerleader? No middle ground?
Nah.

Just poking fun at posters who just rant the same old opinions all the time.

I like Dez but when he played for us..

he was Jekyll and Hyde for us. If he was catching passes..he was fine.

If not he had a tantrum.

Too unprofessional for me.

Every week was hard to know what was happening.

Drama drama..

cern

Reaction score
It really is. I wanted either McC or Rivera because I think the window is open nopw but they could have hired any HC and that would have been an improvement over the HC situation. Having Garrett had become like having your ill mannered awesome person of a brother-in-law living in the basement. And I mean the situation, not the person. I'd gotten to the point that just seeing him on the sideline irritated me. I was getting really tired of discussing him here because it never changed.
comments du jour before the mac hiring had urban meyer or Lincoln riley firmly ensconced in the hc chair.

ESisback

Reaction score
Nah.

Just poking fun at posters who just rant the same old opinions all the time.

I like Dez but when he played for us..

he was Jekyll and Hyde for us. If he was catching passes..he was fine.

If not he had a tantrum.

Too unprofessional for me.

Every week was hard to know what was happening.

Drama drama..

At the risk of sounding like a Neanderthal, Dez was like a woman. Over sensitive Drama Queen.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1)30 mill salary, no taxes
2)10+ in endorsements
3)Enough cap space for good support system

This equals an obscenely wealthy young man being the QB of America’s Team as it returns to perennial contender status.
1) doesn't allow for the ego factor and every QB has that. 3), not one of them cares about that. There job is to not leave money on the table, not manage the cap for the owner.

I do accept it for what it is, just like all other pro sports, it's a mercenary business. The owners and players are all about the money because there's not better representation of capitalism than pro sports. A lot of people bemoan what these athletes make but that is merely the byproduct of the financial support generated by the fans and those TV deals relate directly to that as well.

In 1975, just 45 years ago, Namath signed the biggest contact in NFL history at 450K x 2. Adjusting for inflation, that contract today would be 2M and change x 2. Mahomes will sign one 20X that inflated rate at the minimum and by 2023, the QB's in the top 10 will be making 2M+ per game. Think about that. A top 16 NFL QB will make more in one game than the average person does in their lifetime.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
comments du jour before the mac hiring had urban meyer or Lincoln riley firmly ensconced in the hc chair.
Yep but not me, I wanted a NFL guy, a guy that had been there and not some college guy that Booger is going to "take under his wing".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the risk of sounding like a Neanderthal, Dez was like a woman. Over sensitive Drama Queen.
He had been that at OSU to the point where the majority of the team didn't care that he lost his last season. He demanded an undue amount of attention.

However, he performed one of the acts that has defined a Booger owned team to me when he walked off before the gun and Booger called him "passionate". The other was calling Hardy a "leader" after slapping the clipboard out of the STC's hands when he's doing his job.

I do not think any HC would have tolerated that behavior but that is the "jocks to socks" effect of this owner. He gives into disruptive and distractive behavior and then wonders what's wrong with his team.

I also believe that when Barber pushed back on the dress code as Garrett's first official act, Booger intervened or Garrett would have made an example of him. While I do not think of Garrett as a great HC, he was no pushover. He learned from Johnson, Saban and Parcells and was just as no nonsense as they are as to who is in charge.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’d be very leary of overdoing screen passes if my qb has the talent of dikky doo. Sure we’d move the ball between the 20’s just fine (like we did this year) but eventually you get to the red zone, like we did this year.

I don’t think we need a $40m dollar qb to throw screen passes either

This thread isn’t about the QB or how much he should be paid. Save it for another thread.

And there are plenty of offenses with good QB’s that utilize screen passes more than the cowboys have. So your point is off base anyway.

garyo1954

Reaction score
It really is. I wanted either McC or Rivera because I think the window is open now but they could have hired any HC and that would have been an improvement over the HC situation. Having Garrett had become like having your ill mannered awesome person of a brother-in-law living in the basement. And I mean the situation, not the person. I'd gotten to the point that just seeing him on the sideline irritated me. I was getting really tired of discussing him here because it never changed.

IMO, Rivera would have been better for the team overall. But once he was in Washington, I said Uncle Jerry would go with Big Mc. Not disappointed. Both teams got coaches who could change the division.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
West coast offense. Does that mean the days of Zeke pounding the rock 30 times a game is over?