Twitter: Mike McCarthy on Changes to the Offense

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Breaking Down Mike McCarthy's Offense || How He Calls Play

Thanks!

I *love* the 20 formation, especially for us. Thought it should have been our base for the last couple of years.

We were so weird. We trade for Olawale, then don't use him. Then we resign him after not using him, and *still* don't use him. What the hell.

In 2018 we truly had a JV TE squad, but we still kept playing 1 and 2 TE sets. Our WRs were clearly superior to our TEs, but we kept running out the TEs.

We get Austin, Cobb, Pollard, Olawale, all guys who are extra valuable because they are dual run and receiving threats, and we don't use them in that run/catch dual threat mode. We sent Olawale on *one* deep pass, he was open, and Dak couldn't get him the ball because of the rush. But the play was totally there to be had for Dak. And we never did it again.

Supposing Olawale can actually play, I'd go 20 formation as the base offense with Zeke, Olawale, Pollard, Cooper, Gallup. 4 runners with Zeke, Pollard, Olawale, and Dak. Pollard and Olawale are matchup threats because if you go LBs against them, they'll run by you deep, and if they go DBs, and we've got the run/block advantage.

Maybe we finally use what we've got. If there is some reason they just hate Olawale, cut him and get another FB. Or one of those HB/TE/FB guys, like Jarwin was supposed to be. But get us a multi threat run/block/catch guy to go with Zeke, Pollard in the slot/motion, Cooper, and Gallup.

quickccc

Reaction score
Thanks!

I *love* the 20 formation, especially for us. Thought it should have been our base for the last couple of years.

We were so weird. We trade for Olawale, then don't use him. Then we resign him after not using him, and *still* don't use him. What the hell.

In 2018 we truly had a JV TE squad, but we still kept playing 1 and 2 TE sets. Our WRs were clearly superior to our TEs, but we kept running out the TEs.

We get Austin, Cobb, Pollard, Olawale, all guys who are extra valuable because they are dual run and receiving threats, and we don't use them in that run/catch dual threat mode. We sent Olawale on *one* deep pass, he was open, and Dak couldn't get him the ball because of the rush. But the play was totally there to be had for Dak. And we never did it again.

Supposing Olawale can actually play, I'd go 20 formation as the base offense with Zeke, Olawale, Pollard, Cooper, Gallup. 4 runners with Zeke, Pollard, Olawale, and Dak. Pollard and Olawale are matchup threats because if you go LBs against them, they'll run by you deep, and if they go DBs, and we've got the run/block advantage.

Maybe we finally use what we've got. If there is some reason they just hate Olawale, cut him and get another FB. Or one of those HB/TE/FB guys, like Jarwin was supposed to be. But get us a multi threat run/block/catch guy to go with Zeke, Pollard in the slot/motion, Cooper, and Gallup.

- i guess i'm seeing -wanting it differently than yourself in regards to a fullback. A real FB.
Basically the same way McCarthy used Kuhn,.... as he used that role in the illustrative video da Voch Lombardi presented.

- We already have two very capable, very dangerous RBs in zeke and pollard, we dont need a 3rd RB in Olawele ..and that's really what he is .. a RB.
He's a RB trying to portray a FB ... and since he's more receiver than blocker,. that's taking precious touches away from Pollard, imo.
Get a real Kuhn-like physical blocking fullback that can do that first and far most and can do a little catching and running on once ocasions.
He's (FB) just not gonna be used that often to do those two latter areas.

- BTW, i hope we don't bring Austin back ... too tentative. he ran like he was trying to find a soft spot to lay down quickly.
some want him back because his former special teams coach was with him in the last years ( so i think) the East- west running, the timid running in the jet sweeps,
the lack of receiving ability in the pass game ... i'd very much want a stronger runner/receiver and returner than what he presented. He wasn't warranted the 4th WR spot.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Thanks!

Jason Garrett had no clue how to use Olawale. They made him the highest paid FB in the NFL but had zero idea how to use him on a consistent basis. It was a joke.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
- i guess i'm seeing -wanting it differently than yourself in regards to a fullback. A real FB.
Basically the same way McCarthy used Kuhn,.... as he used that role in the illustrative video da Voch Lombardi presented.

- We already have two very capable, very dangerous RBs in zeke and pollard, we dont need a 3rd RB in Olawele ..and that's really what he is .. a RB.
He's a RB trying to portray a FB ... and since he's more receiver than blocker,. that's taking precious touches away from Pollard, imo.
Get a real Kuhn-like physical blocking fullback that can do that first and far most and can do a little catching and running on once ocasions.
He's (FB) just not gonna be used that often to do those two latter areas.

- BTW, i hope we don't bring Austin back ... too tentative. he ran like he was trying to find a soft spot to lay down quickly.
some want him back because his former special teams coach was with him in the last years ( so i think) the East- west running, the timid running in the jet sweeps,
the lack of receiving ability in the pass game ... i'd very much want a stronger runner/receiver and returner than what he presented. He wasn't warranted the 4th WR spot.

Olawale is a RB *last*. Run him sometimes. But his primary use is as a blocker and a downfield receiver. He was a TE/HBack/WR in college, and we actually converted him to FB in 2012, but Oakland took him off our PS.

I like Austin. His yards/touch have been great. Much like Olawale, we just didn't give him the ball. But Pollard makes Austin extremely expendable. A much bigger better back, but still with speed to beat DBs deep. A bigger target for a deep ball too.

Kuhn made All Pro FB. Sure, that's a guy you like. But more generally, I don't like no threat skill players on the field. I like the Olawale type better. Not nearly as good a blocker, but is a legitimate threat downfield, creating matchup problems for a defense.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the beginning McCarthy has been a supporter and believer in Moore. Unless he leaves for a HC job in a few years, Moore will be the next HC of the Cowboys.
I'm fine with that, I just hope he looks like he's at least 21 by then :dance:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm much more concerned about the defense and special teams.

That's where the real problems are.
Mc Carthy had problems with his defense in GB. Rodgers wanted to call the offense as he was capable of doing it after all his years.

Only natural. Romo was changing plays and audibling practically every play. QBs get that way after awhile.

So I agree about the defense and also the STs. We are going to be playing close games all year. We have to find a PK immediately if possible.

I wait with baited breathe as they say.