Twitter: Mike McCarthy on Changes to the Offense

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
How great is it to finally have a new, innovative offense in here? No more jam it down your throat, “you know what play we’re going to call and still can’t stop us anyway” nonsense.

There are posters in this board who were probably 5 years old the last time someone named Garrett didn’t have a hand on the Cowboys’ offense.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
O

What does not make much sense yet to me is McCarthy talking about a 2 back offense.

Who is going to be the blocking back?

We drafting for one?
062397-A9-6-F3-F-46-DB-8-C1-D-3-F7-D08-D82-B4-B.gif

HungryLion

Reaction score
O

What does not make much sense yet to me is McCarthy talking about a 2 back offense.

We drafting for one?

I don’t think McCarthy is talking about plays where he is using a lead blocker to run.

I think he is pointing to 2 back sets where both of the RB’s go out into pass patterns. Or where one stays in to pass protect and the other goes out for a pass. Or where one stays in the backfield and the other splits out wide or into the slot.

I don’t think he is talking about a traditional, lead blocking FB.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I don’t think McCarthy is talking about plays where he is using a lead blocker to run.

I think he is pointing to 2 back sets where both of the RB’s go out into pass patterns. Or where one stays in to pass protect and the other goes out for a pass. Or where one stays in the backfield and the other splits out wide or into the slot.

I don’t think he is talking about a traditional, lead blocking FB.
Good.

Be cuz we no have..

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I do think our FB was the highest paid in the NFL last year.

Glad we got the production out of him.
Uterly ridiculous.

The more I see Chuckie coach in Oakland..

the more I understand him.

This Amari resigning is a poison pill deal for us.

I would prefer letting him walk and pay DAK and Jones and use the saved cap to fix the TE and DT gaps and use the draft to fix WR, FS and LBer needs.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Me too. More complex doesn't necessarily mean more success. If fact sometimes more complex means more penalties and confusion on the offensive side of the ball. Just build a top 5 defense and put Dak in a position to protect the ball and be successful. Don't overthink the offense.
Yep.

One thing that I hope we see is that DAK plays under center more passing.

Far too often he was in shotgun and this throws out play action from the play calling and allows the defense to rush.

Moore has to help the OL and the QB better.

We will see what changes come down.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Other than QB and a few select players, McC did not have the talent the Cowboys have had on offense. He had to get creative with his calls to create the mismatches while Garrett has always been dependent on his guys beating their guys. That's how he learned it from Norv Turner and Nick Saban. Talent wins out.

I do believe McC is more creative than Garrett but that was the complaint we heard out of GB the last years he was there, lack of creativity. I am hoping part of his journey in 2019 was the realize that he lost a lot of that creative edge and a very accurate QB can do that to a lot of coaches.

There is a pretty smart Green Bay fan at my work and he didn't say "lack of creativity", he said "lack of aggressiveness". He said McCarthy's aggressiveness on offense is why GB hired him in the first place, and over time he became a more complacent signal caller. In part having Moore partner with him should eliminate some of that, and hopefully his "rebirth" was real and not just a PR campaign.

I think people should look at what he was saying to folks like Peter King before his hire and what's actually going on now. Has his "analytics team" been created? What else did he promise prospective employers that is (or is not) in place?

D-

quickccc

Reaction score
"McCarthy highlights two-back offenses as a trend in today’s NFL."

Where and how exactly did he do this? I so much wanted to see more of that last year, and with Pollard getting a full offseason of NFL training, we have even more reason to do it this year. We've got the players on offense to be a multi-runthreat team, including a QB for it.

Breaking Down Mike McCarthy's Offense || How He Calls Play

quickccc

Reaction score

Breaking Down Mike McCarthy's Offense || How He Calls Play

here you can get a glimpse of McCarthy's 2 back set and run scheme game ....

...and watch how the backs are scheme to catch the pass out of backfield
-ala great for zeke and pollard.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I like about McCarthy is that he is flexible in his thinking. He believes that you work with the talent on the roster and find ways to put guys in position to succeed. Its the exact opposite of whats been going on in Dallas the past 10 years.

quickccc

Reaction score
O

We drafting for one?

i dont see drafting a FB that will have so less touches than sign one as a FA, street vet FA or undrafted rookie.
those late rd picks can be better used on late round pick project LB, DBs that can be great special teamers.

Cowboys thought trading for Jamale Olewe would replace physicality of departed Keith Smith and Kellen Moore likes the receiving/run skills he supposedly brings and he is one of the top special teams tackler we supposedly have- but he's utterly useless as a lead blocker, and did very little to nothing as a receiver as we already have too sparce amount of touches between zeke and pollard.

Jamale is really just another big RB,..and we dont have the touches or neccessity for another RB.
i really hope we find a " George Kuhn" like phyiscal blocker and effective catcher than having to deal with Jawales' uselessness on offense again.

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Fans will see a better & more diverse Cowboys team. No doubt.
Umm..

We were supposed to see last year..no?

Moore is being oversold to me.

This marriage with Moore is being sold to us as the answers to our problems.

Help me..

he was worried about his job and looked to go back to the college level.

Then he changed his mind.

Did he still have a contract with us before everybody was fired?

Or did he get a new deal?

How much and how long if he did?

Curious..anybody know?

quickccc

Reaction score
Umm..

We were supposed to see last year..no?

Moore is being oversold to me.

This marriage with Moore is being sold to us as the answers to our problems.

Help me..

he was worried about his job and looked to go back to the college level.

Then he changed his mind.

Did he still have a contract with us before everybody was fired?

Or did he get a new deal?

How much and how long if he did?

Curious..anybody know?

- the offense did show improvement, it did show flexible designs in the pass game, dak did improve his pass game ..
- . what is needed is a true featured alpha male lead WR that is there vs best competition, and brings it week in week out ..
- a much faster bigger impact TE, one that separates on a larger scale and get into the deep seams while still providing that medium security blanket for Dak
- a much better coaching scheme that will take advantage of our RBs in both run game and pass game ..

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Average for a coordinator is about $700,000 - $1 million yearly. Moore was reportedly/surmised to be $760,000 in September. Contract details have not been released (that I can find).
He stayed for the money.

I would too.

Thank.

I would not know where to find that stuff.

Stephen Jones has stopped taking my calls.

He does this time of year everytime.

Does he do this to you too?

:lmao: