Twitter: Mike McCarthy talks Cowboys Defensive Changes

Bachman05

Reaction score
So we hired an Offense minded coach to take care of the defense?

This really means nothing , Landry was a defensive coach when he came to the Cowboy's and changed a lot about the offensive game during his tenure.

Can't remember excatly but a quote from his auto . was why he never got excited when scoring a TD and said that he was never looking at his team but the defense on the other on team or something like that to understand what they were doing.

stiletto

Reaction score
Yep...it's not rocket science. McCarthy is doing everything right so far. Garrett was stuck in his ways and loyalty...ala Parcells.

garyo1954

Reaction score
This really means nothing , Landry was a defensive coach when he came to the Cowboy's and changed a lot about the offensive game during his tenure.

Can't remember excatly but a quote from his auto . was why he never got excited when scoring a TD and said that he was never looking at his team but the defense on the other on team or something like that to understand what they were doing.

Yep. I remember watching a game between Tom and Don Shula. One would run a play and a series later or so the other would come back with their version of the play. Basically all game lone they were learning how the other various formations and plays. Boring from the scoring standpoint but a fun game for strategy fanatics.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Is it possible you’re recalling talk about Nolan? That’s his style so it is reasonable to attribute it to McCarthy now that they are together

I can't remember where I read that, but you're probably right...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Wasn't it mentioned that McCarthy teams run a hybrid 4-3 / 3-4 defense?

No NFL team runs a 4-3 or 3-4 exclusively, they're all mixtures of some type, at various points. To me what McCarthy said is that he's looking for playmakers on the defense, regardless of where they play. For those who insist we need the "325-330 or more" DT, we already have a 318 pounder in Woods, I don't think 7-10 more pounds is going to make a huge difference. We need skilled DTs, Aaron Donald is widely considered one of if not the best DT in the league, and he's nowhere near 325 lbs. Some of our best DL play came with Irving at DT and he was well under 300 lbs. I wouldn't mind a 335 lb guy for goal line defense, but if the 325 lb guy is slow as molasses, that's all he's going to be used for.

To me the defense's problem is one of attitude and scheme, way too passive, way too far off the ball and just plain fooled too much of the time. Coaching should help that a lot.

Offensively, with two 1,000 yard receivers and a 1,300 yard rusher something was working. The most glaring fault was way too little use of Jarwin, love Witten but what little speed he had in 2003 is pretty well gone, give Jarwin a heavy work load, if he responds great, if not get another one, and don't take 2-3 years to do it. Zeke needs to be more involved in the passing game, Dak needs to roll out more. Stick with the running game more, this 12-15 carries by Zeke in games needs to stop, NOW. Overall the offense is good enough, if Dak can hit a few more key passes and the receivers get to run some more creative routes so they can get open more. Too many times drives continued because of great catches despite tight coverage, Dak doesn't need to be a lot more accurate if he doesn't have to fit balls into a lot of tight spaces.

This team needs more fine tuning than major overhauling....

nobody

Reaction score
Jerry is approving any changes. He's too old to learn a new offense and defense. Sometimes you have to wonder why he hasn't wandered into the nearest Walmart and gotten lost.

I don't think his driver would take him there. It doesn't carry Johnnie Walker Blue Label. :laugh:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
McCarthy is a big DB first round guy. Look at his GB drafts. I think Delpit is going to end up being the guy to play FS

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Too bad he wasn't coach when TJ Watt was available.

it’s come out since then that Will McClay was actually the one opposed to Watt — not the coaches. Was reported by Broaddus on the team site draft podcast, and I’m pretty sure McClay acknowledged this in a later on-air interview with Broaddus.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
@Rayman70 Bro, are you reading this? McCarthy just stated our D will stay with a 4 man front, in other words, a 4-3 defense. I'm sure we will add some elements of a 3-4 or 5-2 front, but overall, it will remain a 4 man front.

One thing that is being said that will change is bringing in much bigger DTs, which is what we have been asking for years since Marinelli was against and hurt us badly.

phildadon86

Reaction score
This I like. He’s doing a good job so far. I’m concerned about that offense (might be our weak spot next year) but if he can build up the rest of the team, we have nothing to worry about
Why would the offense that was ranked number one be a weak spot next year? I’m curious why you think that

starfan1

Reaction score
McCarthy is a big DB first round guy. Look at his GB drafts. I think Delpit is going to end up being the guy to play FS
Dude looked a bit skinny but he was in position more than not that’s the first time I saw him.

how is that McKinney from Alabama

UncleOscar

Reaction score
it’s come out since then that Will McClay was actually the one opposed to Watt — not the coaches. Was reported by Broaddus on the team site draft podcast, and I’m pretty sure McClay acknowledged this in a later on-air interview with Broaddus.
Interesting. Can you post a link to this?