Twitter: Mike McCarthy talks Cowboys Defensive Changes

Rayman70

Reaction score
This I like. He’s doing a good job so far. I’m concerned about that offense (might be our weak spot next year) but if he can build up the rest of the team, we have nothing to worry about
^^^that^^^ mentality and leadership has been missing around here ever since the Tuna was here. Its a breath of fresh air.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yep...it's not rocket science. McCarthy is doing everything right so far. Garrett was stuck in his ways and loyalty...ala Parcells.
parcells was open minded enough to change some tho. Garrett thought he was emperor lol...almost untouchable because he was "family" and so there was no fear or accountability. It was square peg round hole thinking for 10 years from JG. FINALLY that seems to have changed with a brand new regime.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think we hired someone with simple common sense to run the team. Not fix one side but all facets.

then why hire Nolan?!?!

his Atlanta defenses were terrible. Hasn’t been a DC since.

we just got rid of Marinelli.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So we hired an Offense minded coach to take care of the defense?

He is HC his job is all phases of this team. Offense, defense and special team. That is the responsibility of HC, he is not on offensive coordinator he is the HC. People are putting too much into who is calling the plays. Jimmy Johnson did not call any plays but he oversaw the entire football team, everything was his responsibility.

Rayman70

Reaction score
then why hire Nolan?!?!

his Atlanta defenses were terrible. Hasn’t been a DC since.

we just got rid of Marinelli.
still takes players. ATL just lacked good players. They had terrible drafts on the dline.Bad FA signings...so he didn't have much to work with. I'm willing to give him a chance.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Makes sense. The offense was plenty good, minus a few hiccups here and there. The defense came and went all last season and the special teams was straight up embarrassing on every level.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it’s come out since then that Will McClay was actually the one opposed to Watt — not the coaches. Was reported by Broaddus on the team site draft podcast, and I’m pretty sure McClay acknowledged this in a later on-air interview with Broaddus.

You misheard it. McClay was "on board" but he wasn't "the one opposed to Watt".

Last edited:

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Mike McCarthy: “The defensive system is going to change, some of the terminology, so there’s gonna be a big change there. The special teams is another change. The offense was the one I wanted to build off what’s been established.""

I don't see why he would take any other approach
This is the approach Jerry told him he was going to take.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Why would the offense that was ranked number one be a weak spot next year? I’m curious why you think that

Our offense is only ranked #1 in yards. Yards isn’t really a good measure of how good a QB or Offense is IMO. PPG are. Also, defense and ST are getting major changes, which leads me to believe that at least the spark of change will inspire the locker room and change the defense and ST enough to be better. Offense, however, remains unchanged the most part besides changes at smaller positions such as WR or RB coach. Kellen at OC and playcalling means our offense may remain the same as last year. I’m sure MM will help develop the offense, however, MM also said he liked a lot of plays Kellen used/played last year, so I doubt he will change it too much, which is concerning, especially in the red zone. We will see, however. I cannot predict the future. I may be wrong.

conner01

Reaction score
@Rayman70 Bro, are you reading this? McCarthy just stated our D will stay with a 4 man front, in other words, a 4-3 defense. I'm sure we will add some elements of a 3-4 or 5-2 front, but overall, it will remain a 4 man front.

One thing that is being said that will change is bringing in much bigger DTs, which is what we have been asking for years since Marinelli was against and hurt us badly.
The whole 3/4 or 4/3 stuff has been over blown
You spend most of the time is sub pkg like nickle in today’s nfl

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our offense is only ranked #1 in yards. Yards isn’t really a good measure of how good a QB or Offense is IMO. PPG are. Also, defense and ST are getting major changes, which leads me to believe that at least the spark of change will inspire the locker room and change the defense and ST enough to be better. Offense, however, remains unchanged the most part besides changes at smaller positions such as WR or RB coach. Kellen at OC and playcalling means our offense may remain the same as last year. I’m sure MM will help develop the offense, however, MM also said he liked a lot of plays Kellen used/played last year, so I doubt he will change it too much, which is concerning, especially in the red zone. We will see, however. I cannot predict the future. I may be wrong.

Even by the PPG stat you mentioned and left out, the Cowboys were 6th in the league, and nearly 6 points per game better than in 2018.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope the whole letting the HC talk about these issues last
Jerry is gonna chime in at some point but I like the facts he’s taken somewhat of a back seat so far

He's probably trying his best to avoid the inevitable questions about how his 10-year vanity project failed so miserably. And the incredible opportunity that he wasted during the 2019 season. He should hide.

conner01

Reaction score
McCarthy is a big DB first round guy. Look at his GB drafts. I think Delpit is going to end up being the guy to play FS
Unless kinlaw does fall it looks like DB is where the quality will be
My favorite safety is Winfield but I think they want a SS
Nolan uses the SS up close a lot to support run and blitz
Delpit could very well be that guy