Mike McCarthy's Dallas future and the impact of the playoffs on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Head Coach Mike McCarthy has stacked up wins since he arrived in Dallas in 2020, as his 41 victories with Dallas are the most among any #Cowboys head coach in his first four seasons.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...e-round?ueid=d29e426080d34b77c2be722b7ff361fb

The Dallas Cowboys are entering Week 18 of the regular season with complete control of their postseason seeding. If the Cowboys beat the Washington Commanders on Sunday, not only will they win the NFC East, but they will also secure the number two seed in the playoffs. Securing the two seed could pay off big for Dallas, as they would be guaranteed at least two home games to start the playoffs (assuming they win in the wild card round). The Cowboys currently have the longest home winning streak in the NFL at 16 games. Having the advantage of playing at AT&T stadium would put QB Dak Prescott in the best position to lead his team to victory.

While the Cowboys received help from the Arizona Cardinals in Week 17 when they defeated the Philadelphia Eagles, the Cowboys are in this position because of their consistency in the regular season. This is something fans have had the luxury of growing accustomed to under head coach Mike McCarthy. If the Cowboys win on Sunday, they will finish the season 12-5. It would be their third straight season finishing with this record. Mike McCarthy has the opportunity to improve to a 36-15 record throughout the last three regular seasons in Dallas...

If the Cowboys are unable to make it past the divisional round, can a case be made for the front office to move on from McCarthy? It is hard to argue with his consistency in the regular season; with his ability to put the Cowboys in a position to contend in January. However, fans in Dallas are growing restless as they have failed to reach the conference championship game since 1996. The only four teams who have suffered longer droughts include the Miami Dolphins (1993), Washington Commanders (1992), Detroit Lions (1992), and the Cleveland Browns (1990). If the Cowboys are unable to reach the NFC title game despite potentially holding home-field advantage in the first two rounds, McCarthy’s future in Dallas will be the subject of debate in the offseason.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 - 12 win seasons, if they win. And 3 straight playoff appearances, 1st time since the 90's.
And this article says to fire him if the exit in the divisional rounds again.

Now I did not read the entire article, but I doubt they said who would replace him.

This team has something going for it, more than the previous seasons. Though lately not as consistent, due to injuries.
But to say fire him at this point, is just stupid.

blueblood70

Reaction score
3 - 12 win seasons, if they win. And 3 straight playoff appearances, 1st time since the 90's.

Now I did not read the entire article, but I doubt they said who would replace him.

This team has something going for it, more than the previous seasons. Though lately not as consistent, due to injuries.
Exactly the window is very small and if im the FO i do look at the playoff run to make decision on say Dak etc but i do keep Mike Mccarthy around, i keep Prescott on his current deal through 2024, yes large cap hit but worth having that option of getting out of it in 25,

than try to get a healthier offensive line, better run game, fix some holes and make the final run. If it fails, i let the entire staff and qb walk and start over.....

Yes, lame duck QB and HC/OC it goes against the grain. who cares, it will show them both its now or never some real pressure, all the writing will be on the wall for this team that on notice, this is it this is your last year together UNLESS you win it all.

call your shot, a true ultimatum...

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

As I said in the years leading up to Garrett being replaced (and I wanted him replaced years before he was replaced), the one thing few fans think about is that the person who hired the coach everyone wants replaced (aka: Jerry) is also the person who will select the new coach.

Everyone likes to think the Cowboys will go after a flavor-of-the-moment coach (ex: Jim Harbough), but that is a huge assumption when it comes to Jerry because his preference for coaches has consistently been ones who feel lucky to get the head coaching job (for any team in some cases).

While of course any coach Jerry hires could end up being successful, it is important to remember that the one the Cowboys end up with may also be worse than the one people want replaced.

fivetwos

Reaction score

He should return regardless.

Win that second round and it’s not even a topic.

mardwin

Reaction score
I like Mike, he's been good as a HC, and his record supports that. The lack of playoff success is not just on him but on Dak and Kellen Moore's game play against the Niners. I expect things to be different this time around.

Aven8

Reaction score
If they get the 2nd seed this year this will arguably his finest moment as the Cowboys HC. As good as we’ve been at home it’s all laid out for them and right in front of them. Will it be easy? Probably not. I see nail biters much like the Detroit and Seattle games. But that’s playoff football. How many times have we seen Buffalo/KC and KC/Cincy in these to the wire games in the playoffs?

Dallasfann

Reaction score
As I said in the years leading up to Garrett being replaced (and I wanted him replaced years before he was replaced), the one thing few fans think about is that the person who hired the coach everyone wants replaced (aka: Jerry) is also the person who will select the new coach.

Everyone likes to think the Cowboys will go after a flavor-of-the-moment coach (ex: Jim Harbough), but that is a huge assumption when it comes to Jerry because his preference for coaches has consistently been ones who feel lucky to get the head coaching job (for any team in some cases).

While of course any coach Jerry hires could end up being successful, it is important to remember that the one the Cowboys end up with may also be worse than the one people want replaced.
Jerry makes better decisions then most everyone on this board.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Better then the 45 years it would be with all you running the show.
JNdhHaC.jpg

shabazz

Reaction score
All these winning seasons aren't going to mean anything, if we're not having any post season success
I believe the cowboys have the 26th or 28th lowest playoff winning percentage since our last SB appearance in the 90s.

Hasn't mattered which coach or which quarterbacks have been here in the last quarter century.......but jerry's been the GM and CEO that entire time, though.

Praxit

Reaction score
...who finds a coach within his first 4 seasons, stacks up almost 12 wins, in 3 of those?

Throw in the fact this will be MM's first playoff situation with him at helm of playcalling.

My gut feeling? He's coming back.

75boyz

Reaction score
At some point this team needs to become focused on getting bottom line improvement in post season success from the head coach and his staff.

To set the bar at "he's better than Garrett" or these regular season wins is not acceptable from my set of standards. Upon his hiring, the fanbase was led to believe he wasn't hired for regular season success based on his resume.

Right now I can not offer a specific viable alternative. Maybe try the coaching trees of Shanahan or McVay.

But to ignore the fact that this coach is absolutely a part of the problem towards not succeeding in the playoffs is just that.
Blind ignorance.

There's something missing with him.
A big part imo, is I don't believe he can beat playoff level competition on the road.
And I dont care about his past Rodgers ring.

If regular season success is your thing, and there is a contingent of those here, then so be it. But the divisional ceiling will remain.
If he wins 2 home playoff games as it's so perfectly set up for us to do this year and has a "highly competitive" 49ers loss I could soften my stance "somewhat".

But only if that's how we're sent home. And I ultimately still wouldn't be a huge supporter.

jmo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.