Mike McCarthy's Dallas future and the impact of the playoffs on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Jerry addressed this just a few weeks ago........As I said in another thread, MM has ALREADY earned the right to coach the final year of his deal. He's coaching for an extension during the playoffs.

Is the head coach poised for a contract extension? Cowboys owner Jerry Jones recently indicated to NFL Network that McCarthy is indeed in line for a new deal after the 2023 NFL season. "That'll have a course that seeks its own time frame," Jones said when asked about a potential McCarthy extension.Dec 17, 2023

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
It has been said, all those regular season wins stopped meaning anything when we couldnt capitalize on them in post season.

I'm hopeful this will be different this year. The brake downs against SF and the Bills aside it was a pretty stable season with wins against contenders. Mike is calling the shots on offense now and overall he seems to have found a way to stabilize Dak or at least make him feel more comfortable. So I'm cautiosly optimistic as far as the upcoming play offs are concerned. Just please don't screw it up against Washington, wanna keep that attitude a little longer lol.

CCBoy

Reaction score
What the heck are you talking about?
(no wonder you don't know) It's a discussion involving football...run along, but your next lesson is on leadership and why both Jerry Jones and Mike McCarthy are up on their own leadership skills.

Show your ignorance to someone else...

Free animals cat bird illustration

CCBoy

Reaction score
Agree . Remember a win against DC means part of your 12-5 record is 4-0 against the garbage of the NFC East plus wins against the Jets & Patriots . In the other 11 games it’s 6-5 .

This isn’t Cleveland or Arizona or Carolina . Dallas should measure success in the playoffs .
With your leadership...advance to the rear.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
(no wonder you don't know) It's a discussion involving football...run along, but your next lesson is on leadership and why both Jerry Jones and Mike McCarthy are up on their own leadership skills.

Show your ignorance to someone else...

Free animals cat bird illustration
No, I'm being dead serious. I don't have a clue what you’re talking about. LOL

CCBoy

Reaction score
You ever been responsible for 120+ people and their welfare...? You aren't even aware of their care, education, training, safety as well as medical, travel, and supporting elements.

Grow up, this team is in the #2 slot here and now....complain and act arrogant in the off season. You fail at being a fan, and need to check Wall Street for investments in gold buillion...don't even waste my time.

Your playground privileges are hereby being cancelled...

Image: Children playing on a playground.

RonWashington

Reaction score
You ever been responsible for 120+ people and their welfare...? You aren't even aware of their care, education, training, safety as well as medical, travel, and supporting elements.

Grow up, this team is in the #2 slot here and now....complain and act arrogant in the off season. You fail at being a fan, and need to check Wall Street for investments in gold buillion...don't even waste my time.

Your playground privileges are hereby being cancelled...

Image: Children playing on a playground.

Chill out get off your high horse hiding behind the keyboard . Until Dallas meets playoff success wins against roadkill fattens the record .

As a Cowboy fan I’m interested in playoff runs you obviously settle for less . KC wins SB’s. SF goes to NFCCG your happy with 12 wins and done . The loser syndrome. Jerry toasts you .

doomsday9084

Reaction score
McCarthy had a few head scratchers but for the most part he had a very good year. Two exceptions:
- He set out to fix penalties and he didn't
- He set out to create a power run game and it became a powerless run game

Quite frankly, I think he gets the big picture. Had Dallas fixed both of those issues they would be the 1 seed and likely SB favorite. He deserves another shot and IMO, most replacements would be a step back.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
3 - 12 win seasons, if they win. And 3 straight playoff appearances, 1st time since the 90's.
And this article says to fire him if the exit in the divisional rounds again.

Now I did not read the entire article, but I doubt they said who would replace him.

This team has something going for it, more than the previous seasons. Though lately not as consistent, due to injuries.
But to say fire him at this point, is just stupid.
I agree with ya jazz. As long as it took for Jerry to get rid of good ol' 8-8, I can't picture him firing MM after what will probably be 3 consecutive 12 win seasons plus playoff births.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Chill out get off your high horse hiding behind the keyboard . Until Dallas meets playoff success wins against roadkill fattens the record .

As a Cowboy fan I’m interested in playoff runs you obviously settle for less . KC wins SB’s. SF goes to NFCCG your happy with 12 wins and done . The loser syndrome. Jerry toasts you .
Dallas Head Coach Mike McCarthy has stacked up wins since he arrived in Dallas in 2020, as his 41 victories with Dallas are the most among any #Cowboys head coach in his first four seasons.

Play around topic...and if cherry picking to doubt, the whole team could also come up with diahrea and no one could wear pants...

No, that's now called pessimism...not a continuation of relevancy facts.

Now, I have stated from the start of the off season this year, I would ride out the season and then analyze what occurred. I also stated that this very season was a judgement point on actual quality and that Jerry, McCarthy, and Prescott all were on the line at the conclusion of this very season.

I have always supported the Dallas Franchise, coaches, and roster are fully in the competition. This is a good team. Prescott, Lamb, and rest of roster have earned their way up to #2 in the NFC. That stands on the grounds of it's own two legs. Nothing more is needed here or now...and that goes individually gathered excuses based upon doubt.

Don't lie on my stances or instead substitute a whipping boy stereotype for what I have stated and stuck with.

My last prediction was a win for Dallas this Sunday and two homegames in the playoffs. I'll project from that very point forward.

That is where this fan stands...and proud of Jerry, McCarthy, Prescott, and Lamb here and now...for the record. Those are my words.

Dak has the chance to lead the NFC in TD's for the season...

Dak Prescott has a chance to do so this weekend as he currently leads the league with 32. The closest quarterbacks to him are Brock Purdy (31), Jordan Love (30) and Jared Goff (28).

Road to 200 – With two touchdown passes on Sunday, Dak Prescott would reach the 200-touchdown mark, becoming only the second Cowboys quarterback to do so, joining Tony Romo (248). He would reach the milestone in 114 career games, where Romo hit the same mark in 133 career games.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/big-facts-dak-prescott-quickest-to-200-passing-tds

Figure that out...Looking for the 3-pack of 12 wins – When the Cowboys won last week's game, pushing their record to 11-5, it became the first time in over 30 years for the team to have at least 11 wins in three striaght seasons. Mike McCarthy became the first coach to lead the Cowboys to that, joining Jimmy Johnson, whose Cowboys went 11-5 in 1991, then 13-3 in 1992 and 12-4 in 1993. If the Cowboys can win Sunday, McCarthy would be the first to win 12 games in a regular season in franchise history.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/big-facts-dak-prescott-quickest-to-200-passing-tds

The Joneses have always supported the Dallas Franchise, coaches, and roster are fully in the competition. This is a good team. Prescott, Lamb, and rest of roster have earned their way up to #2 in the NFC. That stands on the grounds of it's own two legs. Nothing more is needed here or now...and that goes individually gathered excuses based upon doubt.

Two Seed a Sign? – During the Cowboys run of the 1990's, the Cowboys won their first Super Bowl in a three-year span from the two-seed spot in the NFC. Dallas took down Philadelphia in the divisional round, the 49ers in the conference championship game, and the Bills in Super Bowl 27. A scenario that could repeat if all falls into place, starting with Buffalo making the playoffs with a win in Week 18.

We have gone on logic and being reasonable all off season and now season...hey, we are what we are and that's top team comparable. No apologies now.

RonWashington

Reaction score
You’re happy with 12 wins and that’s fine . I want championships or at least get to the NFCCG . Enough said

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Here's the staff Commander fans are hoping for..........
BTW....keep an eye on Frazier if we lose Quinn. He's a Tampa 2 guy who spent several years in the same division as MM.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I find this entire premise ridiculous.

Until this year, Mike never had a say in the offense. We all know that Jerry tried to keep Moore by paying very well. Does anyone believe that Moore answered to Mike early on, or ever? His play calling and lack of game situation awareness frustrated Mike badly.
Does anyone think Dan Quinn answers to Mike? I think they have a better relationship than Mike and Kellen had, but once again Jerry paid Quinn to keep him in Dallas, and I’m sure he’s not answering to Mike.

Let’s say this or a playoff loss comes as a result of a defensive meltdown, inability to stop the run or big plays as a result of gambling. Or maybe the offense takes the lead late and the defense can’t hold it. Do you think McCarthy should be fired anyway?

I’ll also add that despite stats, we all see and like this offense better than the old one, better route combinations, better timing, better plays built off other plays. We all see the improvement in Dak in this offense. One year in this new offense and done?

Unless Mike mismanages a game situation that costs us the game or the offense falls apart, I don’t see Mike being fired. This year Jerry finally gave Mike full control of the offense. I think he should have full control over the entire team, including the hiring of a new defensive coordinator.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You’re happy with 12 wins and that’s fine . I want championships or at least get to the NFCCG . Enough said
Prescott has a chance to be the only the second quarterback in franchise history to lead the NFL in passing touchdowns in a single season. Currently, Hall of Famer Roger Staubach is the only Cowboys QB to ever lead the league in touchdown passes when he had 23 in 1971. Like Prescott, Staubach was also in his 30’s when he did it as a 31-year-old.

With 32 scores through the air, Prescott leads San Francisco 49ers QB Brock Purdy by one (31), and Green Bay Packers’ QB Jordan Love by two (30) heading into Week 18. With Purdy not expected to play, Prescott has a two touchdown advantage heading into the week.

The Commanders have given up the most touchdowns through the air so there’s a real chance Prescott winds up with the most passing scores in the NFL for the 2023 season.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-week-18-milestones-prescott-parsons-mcarthy/

You are lieing about my words...that instead makes YOU the liar.

Are you a supporter of Jan 6? I'm waiting for the 7th, myself...but that is another thing. Go Cowboys!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Dallas Head Coach Mike McCarthy has stacked up wins since he arrived in Dallas in 2020, as his 41 victories with Dallas are the most among any #Cowboys head coach in his first four seasons.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...e-round?ueid=d29e426080d34b77c2be722b7ff361fb

The Dallas Cowboys are entering Week 18 of the regular season with complete control of their postseason seeding. If the Cowboys beat the Washington Commanders on Sunday, not only will they win the NFC East, but they will also secure the number two seed in the playoffs. Securing the two seed could pay off big for Dallas, as they would be guaranteed at least two home games to start the playoffs (assuming they win in the wild card round). The Cowboys currently have the longest home winning streak in the NFL at 16 games. Having the advantage of playing at AT&T stadium would put QB Dak Prescott in the best position to lead his team to victory.

While the Cowboys received help from the Arizona Cardinals in Week 17 when they defeated the Philadelphia Eagles, the Cowboys are in this position because of their consistency in the regular season. This is something fans have had the luxury of growing accustomed to under head coach Mike McCarthy. If the Cowboys win on Sunday, they will finish the season 12-5. It would be their third straight season finishing with this record. Mike McCarthy has the opportunity to improve to a 36-15 record throughout the last three regular seasons in Dallas...

If the Cowboys are unable to make it past the divisional round, can a case be made for the front office to move on from McCarthy? It is hard to argue with his consistency in the regular season; with his ability to put the Cowboys in a position to contend in January. However, fans in Dallas are growing restless as they have failed to reach the conference championship game since 1996. The only four teams who have suffered longer droughts include the Miami Dolphins (1993), Washington Commanders (1992), Detroit Lions (1992), and the Cleveland Browns (1990). If the Cowboys are unable to reach the NFC title game despite potentially holding home-field advantage in the first two rounds, McCarthy’s future in Dallas will be the subject of debate in the offseason.
McCarthy's arrival in Big D was like a shot of adrenaline — straight up! Replacing Garrett was just the beginning; the man brought a winning vibe that we've been craving. And don't get me started on the masterstroke of bringing in Dan Quinn to dial up our D.

Sure, the guy's not perfect — who is? Game management can get a little dicey. But let's keep it real: the team's been on fire and we're killing it in the NFC. I'm telling y'all, having McCarthy in our corner is something to cheer about. Here's to him sticking around and piling up those wins. Let's ride this wave, Cowboys nation!

RonWashington

Reaction score
Prescott has a chance to be the only the second quarterback in franchise history to lead the NFL in passing touchdowns in a single season. Currently, Hall of Famer Roger Staubach is the only Cowboys QB to ever lead the league in touchdown passes when he had 23 in 1971. Like Prescott, Staubach was also in his 30’s when he did it as a 31-year-old.

With 32 scores through the air, Prescott leads San Francisco 49ers QB Brock Purdy by one (31), and Green Bay Packers’ QB Jordan Love by two (30) heading into Week 18. With Purdy not expected to play, Prescott has a two touchdown advantage heading into the week.

The Commanders have given up the most touchdowns through the air so there’s a real chance Prescott winds up with the most passing scores in the NFL for the 2023 season.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-week-18-milestones-prescott-parsons-mcarthy/

You are lieing about my words...that instead makes YOU the liar.

Are you a supporter of Jan 6? I'm waiting for the 7th, myself...but that is another thing. Go Cowboys!

Personal attacks that's all you got . Your sad . Can’t even debate on a football forum . Enjoy your most touchdowns in a season stats and wins against jelly donuts . I prefer championships . The trolls on this board .

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.