Signed by Cowboys Mike Nolan is our new Defensive Coordinator

garyo1954

Reaction score
Is that a joke?

I am Garretts most hated fan of all time. I have been lobbying for his firing for 13 years.

Seeing Garrett fired is like winning a SB for me. Its been a hell of a week. Couldn't be happier.
McCarthy and Nolan are strong hires. Together, they are very strong. Nice to see McCarthy picking his guys.

Replacing Garrett with McCarthy is unreal. Getting an aggressive, young defensive mind like Nolan is well over due.

Wait! What?

13 years? You were hating on Garrett three years before he became head coach?
When you hate a guy before he gets the job you must truly hate the guy!

Mike Nolan is not quite a young guy (unless you're Don Shula's age). He was born in 1959, making him 60. Aside from his last three years in Atlanta (under Mike Smith) his defenses generally finish in the upper half the league. His strong point seems to be pass defense and generally his defenses excel at takeaways. His only number one overall defense came in 1993 with the Giants (They edged out the Dallas Cowboys for that honor).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Wait! What?

13 years? You were hating on Garrett three years before he became head coach?
When you hate a guy before he gets the job you must truly hate the guy!

Mike Nolan is not quite a young guy (unless you're Don Shula's age). He was born in 1959, making him 60. Aside from his last three years in Atlanta (under Mike Smith) his defenses generally finish in the upper half the league. His strong point seems to be pass defense and generally his defenses excel at takeaways. His only number one overall defense came in 1993 with the Giants (They edged out the Dallas Cowboys for that honor).

Garrett was OC here with Wade smart guy.

And yes, I truly hate the guy.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Can someone please provide a positive spin on Mike Nolan? From my research he is lousy.

If you're going to look backwards, it might be a hard sell. I will say this, his time in Atlanta, which is what most people seem to be harping on, they were grossly deficient of talent. If I'm remembering correctly, they had scraps on their dline and a bare cupboard on the back end. Atlanta put everything into their offense.

Looking forward, since he and McCarthy are friends and have coached together before (MM was Nolan's OC in San Francisco) I have to think they're on the same page in regards to analytics. This tells me Nolan is adaptable to change like MM and wants to scheme for each opponent individually instead of just saying, "this is what we do, line up and win your battle." He's an aggressive guy who holds his player accountable. He's run multiple defensive fronts, some times in the same game. His onus is getting to the QB. If we give him the talent to do that, I think he will be successful.

I think we will see a defensive heavy draft, while maybe grabbing a little depth on the OL. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a run at keeping Quinn and Collins.

I'm excited and I expect results from this marriage. If they're not there, I don't think Jerry will have much patience. That may be the best part about this staff--Jerry is not emotionally invested. MM got five years, but he won't see the end of that without a deep playoff run in my opinion. They won't make a deep playoff run without a good defense.

Strap in, cause lots of changes are coming.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well Mr. Smarty pants that means you hated him before he was head coach.
Which is what I said.

Comprehension much?
I said lobbying for being fired for 13 years. Didn't say as HC. Looks like you are the one with the comprehension problems. DOH!!!

Frozen700

Reaction score
Cool. Now I wonder what he's going to do with the D and these players.
What kind of scheme is he going to bring with him?

Thank God Richard is gone. Not playing Lewis? Idiot.

#DontpayDak

garyo1954

Reaction score
His defenses typically generate a good number of turnovers.

From what I can gather. His defenses will give up more plays than a Marinelli “bend but don’t break” defend. But they will also make more big plays.

Mike Nolan was the DC of the Denver Broncos (under Josh McDaniels) when they gave up the fewest points (66) during the first six games of the season, and made their way to their first 6–0 start since the 1998. Unfortunately the season soured, the Broncos finished 8-8 and they parted ways.