Signed by Cowboys Mike Nolan is our new Defensive Coordinator

Iago33

Reaction score
his defenses also give up yards and points.

a lot of them.

we just lived through 7 seasons of BBDB.

why would you want more of that?
Do you know what BBDB stands for? It’s a risk averse defense, unlike Nolan’s.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Something changed in the Rams game for us. We were way more aggressive with our Db's jamming the receivers and we brought pressure. Look at how differently we looked. It excites me that we have a new DC that is fairly aggressive. Hate the passive D we were running throughout the year. This D should have been way better than what it was but coaching killed development and held us back this year. Next year you will see a huge difference in play.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If he did half he'd better than a guy who isn't even on the team anymore.
True. Cowboys had their shot at him and didn’t want him. I can’t cry about something that was never going to happen. Can’t miss someone they was never here.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Something changed in the Rams game for us. We were way more aggressive with our Db's jamming the receivers and we brought pressure. Look at how differently we looked. It excites me that we have a new DC that is fairly aggressive. Hate the passive D we were running throughout the year. This D should have been way better than what it was but coaching killed development and held us back this year. Next year you will see a huge difference in play.

Legion of Boom don’t play BBDB soft D.

that mess was all Marinelli.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I saw Nolan do more for linebacker than Maranelli did for our whole defense. Game passed him by.

Marinelli is terrible.

never liked the play it safe D he ran. Terrible.

nolan is just terrible.

his coaching record stinks. Truth. Look it up if you doubt it.

pro football ref is the best.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Well based on what we’ve been seeing from our current guys he either would’ve never fulfilled his potential or would’ve fell off.

Damn...ya got me there.

I still think he's a more talented player than Taco Charlton. That was pretty evident on draft day.

CB61

Reaction score
Mike Lombardi said they’re probably bringing him in as LB coach from 105.3 the fan today.
Cool I like I said when I met him he seemed like a real down-to-earth person of course back then he was still playing for the bills he gave us fits when he was in Washington as the defense of coordinator

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Nolan, but will see. You never know how he'll make out with different talent than they've had before. It might work it might not.

Reaction score
have you looked at his history as a DC and HC???

Not encouraging.

As a Commanders fan, I'm glad you guys hired Nolan. As our DC under the norval years I remember vividly our defenses sucking pretty badly. Roster was meh, but we gave up lots of yards and points. Maybe he's changed/grown since then but I remember many a Sunday of rush 4 drop 7 bend but don't break (which broke all too often)

This was during the dynamic duo days of Dana Stubblefield and Dan Wilkinson.. Stanley Richard (the guy who got roasted in the SB that one year) Champ Bailey and Darrell Green.. there was some talent on defense. Rankings sucked *** though. In his 3 years as DC, they were 16th, 24th and 30th in yards allowed.
(in 2000 Ray Rhodes took over when Snyder went on a spending spree, Bruce Smith, Deion, etc. and was ranked 4th in yards)
Historically as a DC Nolan's defenses have been ranked in the bottom quarter of the league except for 2 years in Baltimore and 1 in Miami..
His last 3 years in Atlanta were disasterous.. ranking 24th, 27th and 32nd in yards allowed.

So I hope you guys like your defensive players, because you'll be seeing a lot of them on the field this year :)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Damn...ya got me there.

I still think he's a more talented player than Taco Charlton. That was pretty evident on draft day.
Oh of course. He’s exceeded far more than I expected. Hell hes been better than his brother.

CB61

Reaction score
This going to be the biggest 'what could have been' since Randy Moss.

Haven't felt that sick since the trade down when Steven Jackson was right there.
Their excuse was that watt would not fit into the way we played defense which is pretty stupid excuse I think he could have learned it a lot faster than Tristan Hill would have and he could have been an immediate impact your article is spot-on about being sick about missing him

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
OK... So does Bill Belichick. What's your point? Maybe take your negativity to the closet where it's dark and you can cry about the sun being too bright. Let the adults talk about football.

LOL. So let me know when the other adult wants to talk.

Take your internet tough guy act back to your boy friend's house.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
You're right. Those linebackers certainly had no impact. People haven't remarked all friggin season about how tenacious and active the Saints mostly no-name linebacking core have been.

But you've got your forum form down to a tee. Complain and whine and be negative about anything you can attach to a guy. Then refuse to give credit anywhere there can be plausible deniability. A+ form there, sport.

So your way is to give all the credit to Nolan instead? Classy.

Difference of opinion is not whining or negative. Nolan is a big boy, he doesnt need you to defend him.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Cool. Now I wonder what he's going to do with the D and these players.
What kind of scheme is he going to bring with him?
* I"d say first& foremost, it'll be an outright COMPETITIVE scheme,,er,,,as compared to that of the previous SCHEME that's been imprinted into every O.C. ( both employed/ unemployed yet still breathing):laugh::starspin:o_O:starspin:

Gaede

Reaction score
I've had some time to ruminate on this hire, and I like it less and less.

On one hand, I welcome the change to the defensive alignment and that we will likely finally turn over the ball. It'll be fun seeing an aggressive defense for a change.

On the other hand, Nolan has proven to be a pretty mediocre DC.

My hope is that either we put a ton of resources into the D and make it failsafe, or that he's suddenly see the light the last couple years in NO.

In any case, I felt DC was extremely important regardless of the head coach, and I think we missed the mark on this one.