Milton Williams is most definitely a major target

ESisback

Reaction score
Looks like the Cowboys are looking for a potential DT gem in the 3rd round at the earliest, which tells me they don't plan to address the DT position in either the 1st or 2nd rounds.
Alim McNeil or the kid from Florida in the third, IMO. First pick will be Surtain or Horn or Pitts if he falls. OR, they trade back. 2nd pick will be BPA at Edge, S, or LB. That’s what I’d do, but we’re all just speculating...

tm1119

Reaction score
Unfortunately very little tape of Williams available...BUT what is available is underwhelming
at best.

Not impressive at all vs a small school here. It was the bowl game so maybe he was making business decisions? But just didn’t look good regardless

This 1 is a full game so more of a difficult watch without cut ups...but again, I’m not seeing a top 45 pick in this class.

Obviously it’s a tiny sample size, but I just don’t see a guy that is dominating small school competition. 3rd round and the traits start to get a lot more intriguing, but no thanks at 44. And yes, I’m already prepared for extreme disappointment

HanD

Reaction score
Nice write up here with athletic comps with Aaron Donald.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/sy...hool-dt-who-tested-like-aaron-donald.amp.html
That's the exact article I was reading..

HanD

Reaction score
Alim McNeil or the kid from Florida in the third, IMO. First pick will be Surtain or Horn or Pitts if he falls. OR, they trade back. 2nd pick will be BPA at Edge, S, or LB. That’s what I’d do, but we’re all just speculating...
I like alim better than some of the dts and many of the safeties are close for me so personally I'd flip that and go alim 2nd but it's all in the eye of the beholder.

ESisback

Reaction score
I like alim better than some of the dts and many of the safeties are close for me so personally I'd flip that and go alim 2nd but it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Yep!

Jfconrow

Reaction score
He’s got to be 3rd round with the small school competition. I could see 3rd round and late round DTs, a CB, and LB...so mainly defense. They’ve been developing DTs they already drafted though so idk how many open spots they have at DT.

ESisback

Reaction score
He’s got to be 3rd round with the small school competition. I could see 3rd round and late round DTs, a CB, and LB...so mainly defense. They’ve been developing DTs they already drafted though so idk how many open spots they have at DT.

If Gallimore and Hill take another step up, and we draft a decent one, with Woods and Watkins, we SHOULD have a much better rotation than 2020. JMO.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Nice write up here with athletic comps with Aaron Donald.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/sy...hool-dt-who-tested-like-aaron-donald.amp.html
Appreciate the effort you put in here as well, much like I've told you before in the main forum.

You're in the group of folks who's post I don't scroll through, whether I agree or not, you put up a good reason on how you feel. Well done my friend.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, this is what this is all about. There is no Aaron Donald in this draft, and we're chasing one.

Isn’t everyone? I like Williams and Jaylen Twyman from Pittsburgh as being a ‘poor man’s version’.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Isn’t everyone? I like Williams and Jaylen Twyman from Pittsburgh as being a ‘poor man’s version’.
everybody is lookin' for something.

im a sucker for DEs 6'6 or taller.....lookin for my next Too Tall or Big Harv.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Appreciate the effort you put in here as well, much like I've told you before in the main forum.

You're in the group of folks who's post I don't scroll through, whether I agree or not, you put up a good reason on how you feel. Well done my friend.

Wow! Thanks so much! I take that as a real compliment.

And may I return that by saying that I think you’re a real positive influence in these forums and always shine some light wherever you post.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Unfortunately very little tape of Williams available...BUT what is available is underwhelming
at best.

Not impressive at all vs a small school here. It was the bowl game so maybe he was making business decisions? But just didn’t look good regardless

This 1 is a full game so more of a difficult watch without cut ups...but again, I’m not seeing a top 45 pick in this class.

Obviously it’s a tiny sample size, but I just don’t see a guy that is dominating small school competition. 3rd round and the traits start to get a lot more intriguing, but no thanks at 44. And yes, I’m already prepared for extreme disappointment

I would agree. Although, I do see flashes of ability. I think his best spot would be to play at DE.

He was getting absolutely wrecked on the inside against Georgia Southern.

visionary

Reaction score
i love bobby brown.
there are several i like.
nixon,iowa
levi o,washington
wilson,fsu
togiai,ohio st
shelvin,lsu
slaton,florida
campbell,florida
tonga,byu
graham,texas

barmore,williams,wilson,brown,levi o and daviyon nixon are my 6 pack.
just gimmie 2 of'm.

good list

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I hope so

I agree, there's no need to draft this guy before round 5 imo. Go watch him vs Georgia Southern. They need to like somebody else lol.
Williams playing in a 34 defense as a 5-tech just about killed any chances for him to have a lot of great highlights. Plus being the best player there by far, he saw near constant double teams as offenses tried to take him out of the game. His elite athleticism is neutralized when he has to fight through two OL.

A 3-tech DT in a 43 defense is schemed to pretty much always see one-on-one blocking, which is a completely different situation than being double teamed. It gives him room to work and use his athleticism to give the OG problems.

His whole career he was playing a position that didn’t suit his talents nearly as well as a 3T DT would. That’s why you rarely see a star player as a 5-tech DE.

Here is something that I wrote the other day regarding Williams in that Georgia Southern game. Rather than re-writing it all, I’ll just paste it here:

In that game Georgia Southern did two things to neutralize Williams:

1. They doubled him almost constantly.

2. They ran to the opposite side of the formation and just had the guy on Williams cut his legs at the snap, which takes anyone out of the game but makes the offense sort of one dimensional.

It is pretty clear that GS thought Williams was the guy to build their offensive game plan around stopping, and that the GS coaches were smart in how they thwarted Tech’s best defender.

I counted 4 plays where he was singled and not cut in that game, and he quickly beat his guy on each of those plays, once getting a big hit on the QB. The other’s they ran away from his side (something they did often).

A few things:

Williams playing a 5-tech DE spot is far from the best use of his talents. With them running a 34 defense, I suppose that is the best place for him (he’s definitely not a 34 OLB or NT)... but he is clearly more suited to a 43 DT position... particularly a 3-technique.

In a 43 scheme like Quinn will run in Dallas, a 3T that can win one-on-one battles is critical to the success of the defense. The 3T will get one-on-one battles with the guard and if that guy can win that battle then it makes the whole defense go. An article I read recently said that the 3T is the most important position in that defense. If you quickly beat the OG and get pressure inside, it makes everything work better for your D.

A player like Williams that has that kind of movement skills and athleticism getting a lot of single blocking would be a real handful for that guard. He has the physical ability to win a lot of those battles. And it isn’t just athleticism... he is also strong.

So, there is a really good reason why Williams didn’t do much in the Georgia Southern game. What he was being asked to do there was selfless, and what the opposing team was doing to him was implemented to neutralize him. Playing 5T DE is nothing like what will happen as a 3T in Quinn’s scheme

Mr_437

Reaction score
Williams playing in a 34 defense as a 5-tech just about killed any chances for him to have a lot of great highlights. Plus being the best player there by far, he saw near constant double teams as offenses tried to take him out of the game. His elite athleticism is neutralized when he has to fight through two OL.

A 3-tech DT in a 43 defense is schemed to pretty much always see one-on-one blocking, which is a completely different situation than being double teamed. It gives him room to work and use his athleticism to give the OG problems.

His whole career he was playing a position that didn’t suit his talents nearly as well as a 3T DT would. That’s why you rarely see a star player as a 5-tech DE.

Here is something that I wrote the other day regarding Williams in that Georgia Southern game. Rather than re-writing it all, I’ll just paste it here:

2. They ran to the opposite side of the formation and just had the guy on Williams cut his legs at the snap, which takes anyone out of the game but makes the offense sort of one dimensional.

It is pretty clear that GS thought Williams was the guy to build their offensive game plan around stopping, and that the GS coaches were smart in how they thwarted Tech’s best defender.

I counted 4 plays where he was singled and not cut in that game, and he quickly beat his guy on each of those plays, once getting a big hit on the QB. The other’s they ran away from his side (something they did often).

A few things:

Williams playing a 5-tech DE spot is far from the best use of his talents. With them running a 34 defense, I suppose that is the best place for him (he’s definitely not a 34 OLB or NT)... but he is clearly more suited to a 43 DT position... particularly a 3-technique.

In a 43 scheme like Quinn will run in Dallas, a 3T that can win one-on-one battles is critical to the success of the defense. The 3T will get one-on-one battles with the guard and if that guy can win that battle then it makes the whole defense go. An article I read recently said that the 3T is the most important position in that defense. If you quickly beat the OG and get pressure inside, it makes everything work better for your D.

A player like Williams that has that kind of movement skills and athleticism getting a lot of single blocking would be a real handful for that guard. He has the physical ability to win a lot of those battles. And it isn’t just athleticism... he is also strong.

So, there is a really good reason why Williams didn’t do much in the Georgia Southern game. What he was being asked to do there was selfless, and what the opposing team was doing to him was implemented to neutralize him. Playing 5T DE is nothing like what will happen as a 3T in Quinn’s scheme
Edit: Does it matter where he is playing if he's getting pushed around vs Georgia Southern. Do the Cowboys need a defensive lineman who was neutralized by Georgia Southern? Also, he never hustled to the ball in that game, dude runs a 4.6 and I would never know.

Eye of the beholder tho.

Last edited:

Malhavoc

Reaction score

A few things:

Kudos to you for this in depth analysis. The 5T certainly isn’t a flashy stats position. And he was certainly a very productive player that has some elite athletic traits. If you think this kid has a future as a starting 3 T then 44 is certainty not too high for him. I think a lot will depend on what’s available as we get to round 2.