Milton Williams is most definitely a major target

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Could be. We seem to have several players who could fit that role: Urban, Watkins, possibly even Hill. I actually viewed that as a possibility with Barmore as well if we drafted him. Because he has some work to do as an interior run defender, putting him at 4T against the run might be a good way to go. Gives us more strength up front against the run, but the question would be do we have players who can capably switch to being a pass rusher, since we can't line up on early downs and tell teams they have to run because we have our run defenders out there.

I do think at 4-tech, Barmore would give us more beef against the run and also be able to provide some pass rush when needed on those run downs. Not as sure about Williams. Urban doesn't offer much as a pass rusher from either 4T or 3T. I can't say at this point Hill offers much as either a run defender or pass rusher. And I believe Watkins is a better pass rusher than run defender, but not exactly a stud either way. Gallimore is strictly a 3-tech IMO and Woods is strictly a 1-tech.
There are going to be obvious run downs, where you are going to have your base defense on the field. In the nickel, you need another interior pass rusher. They are looking at some tweeners who can stay on the field, as well as a Milton Williams. I actually like either Basham or Turner as that inside/outside type of player. Play the run as a DE and then kick inside against the pass. Would prefer both of those players over Milton. Turner might make it to 75, but not Basham.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I don't think he has any business playing 3T. He will face combo blocks (C + OG) playing on the inside and was getting manhandled doing just that against Georgia Southern.
You and I tend to agree on a lot of the players, but we differ on this guy. I think there’s a good chance for him to be a player, but I certainly would have liked to see him playing the 3T in college for a few years. Like I said though, if he performed doing that, we’d be talking about using pick 10 on him instead.

I do disagree that Williams has no business playing 3T. He is physically about a perfect player for the 3T spot. If you ask me, he really shouldn’t have been playing a 5T DE. Those guys are often up above 300 Lbs. Because they have to take on G-T double teams all the time. I guess at a school like Tech, you go with what you got, and they weren’t going to change from a 34 to a 43 just because they found Williams.

I think you’re off about him having to take on double teams all the time at the 3T. The reason that position was created to begin with is to isolate the OG on your “athlete” DT. By definition a 3-technique DT is lined up on the outside shoulder of the guard.

In this alignment the OT is responsible for the DE (or LEO). The center and guard usually take on the 1-Tech DT because, again by definition, he is lined up between the two. That leaves the 3T one-on-one with the guard and an athletic player like Aaron Donald, Warren Sapp, or Geno Atkins can cause problems all day long for that guy.

Here is a look at the defense Quinn ran in Seattle:

4-3_Under.JPG

You can see that the LT in this case, will be responsible for the LEO, while the C/RG will take on the 1T. This leaves the LG all alone on the 3T.

There are variations of course, but that is the meat and potatoes look at who usually blocks who along Dan Quinn’s DL. The 3T is usually singled. Williams wouldn’t take on double team much at all at that position.

As for not fitting at 3T... Williams size is just about right.

• Milton Williams: 6-3 284 lbs
  • Aaron Donald: 6-1 285
  • Geno Atkins: 6-1 1/2 290 lbs
  • Warren Sapp: 6-2 300 lbs.

And his athleticism out paces everyone in that list except for Aaron Donald, to whom his testing is about the same but better in most categories. Williams ran a faster 40, was better in both the broad jump and the vertical. In the change of direction drills he bested Donald in both the short shuttle and the 3-cone.

So Williams had better speed, explosion, and change of direction than Donald (Atkins and Sapp weren’t close to those two). That is the very definition of what you want from a 3T.

Those kind of movement skills are exactly what coaches want at that position... they just almost can never find it like Donald and Williams have.

I’m not saying Williams is Donald, Though. I know how special Donald is.

And what is better about Williams as a prospect is that usually the quick, athletic guys lack power... Williams has already shown that he’s very good against the run and that he can take on double teams. The only thing that is missing on him being a top 5 pick is a lot of production.

The thing is, he doesn’t lack production because he can’t play 3T. He lacks it because he was played at a position where you never really see production. He didn’t get the chance to play a star role in college.

I would be right there with you on Williams if he had played as a 3T and didn’t do a lot. I like to see them do it in college. But he played 5T DE. And he played it well. It’s just that what he was asked to do wasn’t going to produce the type of plays that we want to see.

I think he’s a tremendous prospect at the 3T and I completely get why the team thinks he’d be great there. He has rare athleticism, is strong, plays hard, plays tough, and is a smart, quality guy. There is no reason for him to not be good as a 3T.

I’d love to have seen him play that spot in college but we have to do a little projecting across positions in this case. As long as you aren’t doing it in round 1, I’m fine with it.

Last edited:

Aven8

Reaction score
You and I tend to agree on a lot of the players, but we differ on this guy. I think there’s a good chance for him to be a player, but I certainly would have liked to see him playing the 3T in college for a few years. Like I said though, if he performed doing that, we’d be talking about using pick 10 on him instead.

I do disagree that Williams has no business playing 3T. He is physically about a perfect player for the 3T spot. If you ask me, he really shouldn’t have been playing a 5T DE. Those guys are often up above 300 Lbs. Because they have to take on G-T double teams all the time. I guess at a school like Tech, you go with what you got, and they weren’t going to change from a 34 to a 43 just because they found Williams.

I think you’re off about him having to take on double teams all the time at the 3T. The reason that position was created to begin with is to isolate the OG on your “athlete” DT. By definition a 3-technique DT is lined up on the outside shoulder of the guard.

In this alignment the OT is responsible for the DE (or LEO). The center and guard usually take on the 1-Tech DT because, again by definition, he is lined up between the two. That leaves the 3T one-on-one with the guard and an athletic player like Aaron Donald, Warren Sapp, or Geno Atkins can cause problems all day long for that guy.

4-3_Under.JPG

You can see that the LT in this case, will be responsible for the LEO, while the C/RG will take on the 1T. This leaves the LG all alone on the 3T.

There are variations of course, but that is the meat and potatoes look at who usually blocks who along Dan Quinn’s DL. The 3T is usually singled. Williams wouldn’t take on double team much at all at that position.

And his athleticism out paces everyone in that list except for Aaron Donald, to whom his testing is about the same but better in most categories. Williams ran a faster 40, was better in both the broad jump and the vertical. In the change of direction drills he bested Donald in both the short shuttle and the 3-cone.

So Williams had better speed, explosion, and change of direction than Donald (Atkins and Sapp weren’t close to those two). That is the very definition of what you want from a 3T.

Those kind of movement skills are exactly what coaches want at that position... they just almost can never find it like Donald and Williams have.

And what is better about Williams as a prospect is that usually the quick, athletic guys lack power... Williams has already shown that he’s very good against the run and that he can take on double teams. The only thing that is missing on him being a top 5 pick is a lot of production.

The thing is, he doesn’t lack production because he can’t play 3T. He lacks it because he was played at a position where you never really see production. He didn’t get the chance to play a star role in college.

I would be right there with you on Williams if he had played as a 3T and didn’t do a lot. I like to see them do it in college. But he played 5T DE. And he played it well. It’s just that what he was asked to do wasn’t going to produce the type of plays that we want to see.

I think he’s a tremendous prospect at the 3T and I completely get why the team thinks he’d be great there. He has rare athleticism, is strong, plays hard, plays tough, and is a smart, quality guy. There is no reason for him to not be good as a 3T.

I’d love to have seen him play that spot in college but we have to do a little projecting across positions in this case. As long as you aren’t doing it in round 1, I’m fine with it.

Are we giving up on Gally and Hill? I don’t see how you can draft three dudes in a row like this.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Are we giving up on Gally and Hill? I don’t see how you can draft three dudes in a row like this.
I don’t know what the team is going to do. Are we counting on them to be the starters?

That the team is this interested in a 3T prospect has to be saying something about their perception of the position, doesn’t it?

tm1119

Reaction score

4-3_Under.JPG

To me saying his size is “just about right” and then listing 2 HOF’s and a multi time pro bowler is kinda crazy. It presents the possibility sure, but those guys are a lot more outliers than they are the norm. Can you name any more sub 290 lb guys that play DT regularly? Who’s the comp if Milton Williams plays 3 tech and is a good, not great like the guys you listed?

Also, I personally think people are being presumptive thinking that Gregory is going to be a full time starter. I won’t be shocked if Quinn has Urban/Watkins penciled in at that SDE/4tech spot with Milton Williams being a younger, more talented upgrade. He drafted Marlon Davis in the 2nd for a very similar role last year for the Falcons. Gregory spells Lawrence and both are on the field in passing situations. Lawrence at the 4 tech is a waste of our very expensive “war daddy”. Not to mention Gallimore and Gregory lined up next to each in base D would just perpetuate our run D problem. I prefer Basham or Turner for the role...but Williams makes a lot of sense

All my opinion of course

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
To me saying his size is “just about right” and then listing 2 HOF’s and a multi time pro bowler is kinda crazy. It presents the possibility sure, but those guys are a lot more outliers than they are the norm. Can you name any more sub 290 lb guys that play DT regularly? Who’s the comp if Milton Williams plays 3 tech and is a good, not great like the guys you listed?

Also, I personally think people are being presumptive thinking that Gregory is going to be a full time starter. I won’t be shocked if Quinn has Urban/Watkins penciled in at that SDE/4tech spot with Milton Williams being a younger, more talented upgrade. He drafted Marlon Davis in the 2nd for a very similar role last year for the Falcons. Gregory spells Lawrence and both are on the field in passing situations. Lawrence at the 4 tech is a waste of our very expensive “war daddy”. Not to mention Gallimore and Gregory lined up next to each in base D would just perpetuate our run D problem. I prefer Basham or Turner for the role...but Williams makes a lot of sense

All my opinion of course
Yes, there are a lot of questions about who will play where along Quinn’s line.

I will say that I think Williams is about the right size for a pass rushing 3T. Personally, I like the smaller, quicker guys for that spot. Atkins, Sapp, and Donald are in the same neighborhood size wise as Williams. They are (were) 3T, so I don’t see why comparing their size to Williams is an issue. I’m not saying that he will perform like them. He was saying that he didn’t think Williams fit at 3T, so I was mentioning some really good one’s that played at around that size.

There are others as well. La’Roi Glover at 6-2 285. Henry Melton at 6-3 280.

The main thing is strength and quickness at that spot. Williams has that, and I like him as a prospect for Quinn’s 3T DT. That’s all I’m saying.

hendog86

Reaction score
i love bobby brown.
there are several i like.
nixon,iowa
levi o,washington
wilson,fsu
togiai,ohio st
shelvin,lsu
slaton,florida
campbell,florida
tonga,byu
graham,texas

barmore,williams,wilson,brown,levi o and daviyon nixon are my 6 pack.
just gimmie 2 of'm.

No love for Alim McNeil? He’s my first choice for 1 Tech.