Milton Williams is most definitely a major target

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Did you watch that game? If so, what do you say about his performance?
I watched as much of it as I could and in the post above I wrote what pretty much jumped out to me. He was doubled almost every play. When they didn’t double him, they ran away from him and just cut his legs at the snap.

Like I mentioned above, I saw four plays where he wasn’t doubled or cut and in those 4, he beat his guy. One he got a big hit on the QB and the other 3, they were running to the other side of the formation.

What I saw was him playing a position that didn’t really suit his talents. He was by far the best player on that defense and teams did all they could to slow him down.

There simply isn’t a whole lot of video out there for us to watch, so my takeaway is this: We don’t have film of him dominating guys like we’d all like to see but really, with him playing as a 34 5-tech DE, there simply isn’t going to be much of that those type of plays. If he’s doing his job in that defense, he’s not going to be making a lot of plays.

So while we can’t see him playing as a 3-tech and have that video confirmation... we can’t really knock him either, for not having a lot of big plays on video for us to watch. Because of the position he played, there just not going to be many.

What we do know is:
  • He’s very strong for his size.
  • He’s freakishly athletic.
  • He plays hard and did it at a position that did nothing to show his talents.
  • Playing 3-tech in Quinn’s scheme would suit his abilities perfectly.

I guess what I’m saying is that the lack of video and the subsequent lack of big plays in that video is definitely not proof positive that he isn’t a playmaker, or that he wouldn’t flourish as a 43 3-tech DT.

The guy has insane athleticism, plays hard, and is strong for his size, so I’d certainly think he’d be a great candidate to play as a 3-tech.

Do I wish he had played at Alabama as a 3-tech? Sure. We’d have plenty if film showing him making huge plays... but then he’d be going in the top 5 overall and we couldn’t get him in the second round. And that is about where he is slated to go. I’ve been seeing some mocks recently with him going in the second. Some even has him going before Dallas’ pick at 44.

Carson

Reaction score
I watched as much of it as I could and in the post above I wrote what pretty much jumped out to me. He was doubled almost every play. When they didn’t double him, they ran away from him and just cut his legs at the snap.

Like I mentioned above, I saw four plays where he wasn’t doubled or cut and in those 4, he beat his guy. One he got a big hit on the QB and the other 3, they were running to the other side of the formation.

What I saw was him playing a position that didn’t really suit his talents. He was by far the best player on that defense and teams did all they could to slow him down.

There simply isn’t a whole lot of video out there for us to watch, so my takeaway is this: We don’t have film of him dominating guys like we’d all like to see but really, with him playing as a 34 5-tech DE, there simply isn’t going to be much of that those type of plays. If he’s doing his job in that defense, he’s not going to be making a lot of plays.

So while we can’t see him playing as a 3-tech and have that video confirmation... we can’t really knock him either, for not having a lot of big plays on video for us to watch. Because of the position he played, there just not going to be many.

What we do know is:
  • He’s very strong for his size.
  • He’s freakishly athletic.
  • He plays hard and did it at a position that did nothing to show his talents.
  • Playing 3-tech in Quinn’s scheme would suit his abilities perfectly.

I guess what I’m saying is that the lack of video and the subsequent lack of big plays in that video is definitely not proof positive that he isn’t a playmaker, or that he wouldn’t flourish as a 43 3-tech DT.

The guy has insane athleticism, plays hard, and is strong for his size, so I’d certainly think he’d be a great candidate to play as a 3-tech.

Do I wish he had played at Alabama as a 3-tech? Sure. We’d have plenty if film showing him making huge plays... but then he’d be going in the top 5 overall and we couldn’t get him in the second round. And that is about where he is slated to go. I’ve been seeing some mocks recently with him going in the second. Some even has him going before Dallas’ pick at 44.

My issue is they continue to address the 3 and refuse to invest in the 1.

Trysten Hill - 2nd round pick
Neville Gallimore - 3rd round pick
Carlos Watkins - Free agent signing
Brent Urban - Free agent signing

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Gallimore and Hill take another step up, and we draft a decent one, with Woods and Watkins, we SHOULD have a much better rotation than 2020. JMO.

I think the fact that we're looking hard at a player like Williams should tell us that Dallas isn't trusting in an "if." Frankly, I think that's the right move, not necessarily drafting Williams, but drafting a 3-tech. We got a half-sack from Hill and Gallimore last year. We hope that production kicks up, but we can't count on it.

Throwing another player into the mix just gives us a better chance of finding the type of 3-tech we need. If Gallimore and Hill improve their play and whoever we draft also turns out to be the real deal, I don't see that being a bad thing. At our best in the 1990s, when our defense was No. 1, we sent waves of DTs after the quarterback.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

I don’t disagree. I really like Alim McNeil and think he going to be a great player. I’d love for Dallas to get him.

However, the 3-tech is probably the most important position in Quinn’s defense and I’m far from sold that it is in capable hands. I like Gallimore ok but really, what has he proven?

I understand they’ve spent a second and a third on Hill and Gallimore but that position needs to be fixed. If they get a really good 3T, then the defense has gone a long way towards being good.

So, if Quinn thinks they need a 3T high in the draft and he loves Williams? Then I’m fine with it. Go for it... just fix the damn defense.

gimmesix

Reaction score

The 3 is the more important position, but that doesn't mean we need to ignore the 1. Hopefully, if we draft Williams, we come back with an NT selection soon after. Honestly, if we see Williams as a second-round pick, I wouldn't mind something like Surtain, Williams, best FS/NT available, best NT/FS available with our first four picks.

Of course, I think fixing the line is the most important thing for us to do. However, we need a starting corner so I think we have to either get one in the first or second.

BTW, I'm interested to see what we envision for Watkins and Urban. I think both would be considerations for a big end (4-tech) role on early downs and because of how Urban plays, I could see him getting snaps at 3-tech on run downs or even 1-tech. I think Watkins is strictly a 3-tech/4-tech ... and I'm not sure he'll be able to beat out our other 3-tech candidates if we draft one.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yea I just don't see it...dude doesn't do anything for me. If you're going to take a small school guy he needs to dominate on tape and he doesn't. That and him having below average arms makes him a huge reach on day 2 for me.
Don't disagree, they are in love with this athletic testing numbers, not his production. Don't think he's a huge reach, as there are other teams interested and he is a legitimate top 75 pick.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don’t disagree. I really like Alim McNeil and think he going to be a great player. I’d love for Dallas to get him.

However, the 3-tech is probably the most important position in Quinn’s defense and I’m far from sold that it is in capable hands. I like Gallimore ok but really, what has he proven?

I understand they’ve spent a second and a third on Hill and Gallimore but that position needs to be fixed. If they get a really good 3T, then the defense has gone a long way towards being good.

So, if Quinn thinks they need a 3T high in the draft and he loves Williams? Then I’m fine with it. Go for it... just fix the damn defense.

That's where I stand. We can't afford for 3T to be a question mark position. We try to fix it until we get it fixed.

I would absolutely love McNeill for the 1-tech spot, but I'm not sure when we would need to take him. I've seen him rated anywhere from the second to the fourth. Of course, Williams seems to be anywhere from a surprise first-round pick to third.

I still prefer Barmore, but I don't see us having a shot at him unless we trade down in the first, and I acknowledge that there are some questions about his all-around play. I just think if you want a player on the interior who can pressure the passer, he's No. 1.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Don't disagree, they are in love with this athletic testing numbers, not his production. Don't think he's a huge reach, as there are other teams interested and he is a legitimate top 75 pick.

That's the thing. It doesn't necessarily look like they would be reaching, at least based on what some are saying, I'd just like better production. Of course, as AsthmaField has said, production is based a lot on the role you play in the defense. It's just hard for me to trust translating ability from one spot to another. Production lets you know a player can handle a role. Projection means you are rolling the dice on those athletic traits.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
The 3 is the more important position, but that doesn't mean we need to ignore the 1. Hopefully, if we draft Williams, we come back with an NT selection soon after. Honestly, if we see Williams as a second-round pick, I wouldn't mind something like Surtain, Williams, best FS/NT available, best NT/FS available with our first four picks.

Of course, I think fixing the line is the most important thing for us to do. However, we need a starting corner so I think we have to either get one in the first or second.

BTW, I'm interested to see what we envision for Watkins and Urban. I think both would be considerations for a big end (4-tech) role on early downs and because of how Urban plays, I could see him getting snaps at 3-tech on run downs or even 1-tech. I think Watkins is strictly a 3-tech/4-tech ... and I'm not sure he'll be able to beat out our other 3-tech candidates if we draft one.
I think Urban is definitely going to probably start out as the starting 4T. If you draft Williams he would probably start there as well because that’s where he’s most natural at this point. See how he measures up to Gallimore and Hill. I do think Watkins roster spot would probably be in real jeapordy Iif we add a player like this.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That's the thing. It doesn't necessarily look like they would be reaching, at least based on what some are saying, I'd just like better production. Of course, as AsthmaField has said, production is based a lot on the role you play in the defense. It's just hard for me to trust translating ability from one spot to another. Production lets you know a player can handle a role. Projection means you are rolling the dice on those athletic traits.
It be fair to him, they had him playing the 5T in a three man line, he is a better fit at the 3T

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It be fair to him, they had him playing the 5T in a three man line, he is a better fit at the 3T

I don't think he has any business playing 3T. He will face combo blocks (C + OG) playing on the inside and was getting manhandled doing just that against Georgia Southern.

gimmesix

Reaction score

If we draft him, I hope that proves to be true. Obviously, his physical traits better fit 3-tech, but since it's primarily projection, we don't know if he'll actually be a better fit there. Being an end in a 3-man front certainly didn't do him any favors.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think Urban is definitely going to probably start out as the starting 4T. If you draft Williams he would probably start there as well because that’s where he’s most natural at this point. See how he measures up to Gallimore and Hill. I do think Watkins roster spot would probably be in real jeapordy Iif we add a player like this.

Possibly on Urban. We may play him at 3-tech on run downs since our interior run defense was so bad last year and he's so good at it. But if we want to go larger across the line, we could certainly put Urban at 4. A lot is going to depend on what we do to address the line in the draft. Like you said, Williams could end up at the 4, with Urban at the 3 on early downs.

Might be RDE Lawrence, NT Woods/draft pick, 3-tech Urban, 4-tech Williams on run downs. Maybe mix some Basham in there are right end to not overwork Lawrence. Then, on passing downs, Gregory, Gallimore, Williams, Lawrence. For Hill to enter the conversation, he's going to have to get much better than what we've seen so far.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The former college defensive end who will play defensive tackle in the NFL said no team has talked to him more than the Dallas Cowboys.

Williams also conducted a virtual visit with coach Mike McCarthy, defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, defensive line coach Aden Durde, vice president of player personnel Will McClay and assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett. from Yahoo.
No smoke screen there.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't think he has any business playing 3T. He will face combo blocks (C + OG) playing on the inside and was getting manhandled doing just that against Georgia Southern.
They see something in him. Let’s not forget Quinn did find Grady Jarrett, one of his biggest hits with Atlanta

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If we draft him, I hope that proves to be true. Obviously, his physical traits better fit 3-tech, but since it's primarily projection, we don't know if he'll actually be a better fit there. Being an end in a 3-man front certainly didn't do him any favors.
I think the other thing nobody has mentioned, Quinn plays his LE like a 3-4 DE as a 4T. Could be play base DE and kick inside against the pass?

sjmike

Reaction score
I don't think he's big enough to be a one tech and that's what we need. Bad pick in the second

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We are both high floor guys over high upside. The NFL scouts have to project these players of what type of player they will become, rather then just look at their current production. Traits are weighted much higher then production.

tm1119

Reaction score
I think the other thing nobody has mentioned, Quinn plays his LE like a 3-4 DE as a 4T. Could be play base DE and kick inside against the pass?

I would think so...He fits the Bennett/Adrian Clayborn/Marlon Davidson mold more than a tradition 3 tech. People are taking the Donald comp way too seriously, AD is a once in a lifetime player. How many other NFL players are playing inside at DT full time under 290?

gimmesix

Reaction score

Could be. We seem to have several players who could fit that role: Urban, Watkins, possibly even Hill. I actually viewed that as a possibility with Barmore as well if we drafted him. Because he has some work to do as an interior run defender, putting him at 4T against the run might be a good way to go. Gives us more strength up front against the run, but the question would be do we have players who can capably switch to being a pass rusher, since we can't line up on early downs and tell teams they have to run because we have our run defenders out there.

I do think at 4-tech, Barmore would give us more beef against the run and also be able to provide some pass rush when needed on those run downs. Not as sure about Williams. Urban doesn't offer much as a pass rusher from either 4T or 3T. I can't say at this point Hill offers much as either a run defender or pass rusher. And I believe Watkins is a better pass rusher than run defender, but not exactly a stud either way. Gallimore is strictly a 3-tech IMO and Woods is strictly a 1-tech.