Misplaced Blame

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Umm no

Blame yesterday goes in this order:

1. Defense
2. Dak
3. Head Coach

Dez cant throw himself the ball and zeke cant run when 4 defenders are in the backfield every snap

Yes Dez can't throw to himself, but he is the only one responsible to himself to run good routes. That effects the QB does it not?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Yes Dez can't throw to himself, but he is the only one responsible to himself to run good routes. That effects the QB does it not?
Yes but im referring more to the poor throws coming his way. Dez had to play defense on like 3 different throws. Dak kept trying to force that back shoulder fade when Talib was on Dez and Talib read it correctly everytime. If Dak throws it over the top, its probably a TD...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. The defense was playing horrible well before they had a viable excuse to do so. Poor tackling, poor angles in pursuit, poor coverage. That was happening from the Broncos first snap.
The point is that looking at the whole game, the defense played well enough for it to be a much closer game if the offense had done it's part and held the ball longer.

My statement that Dez and Zeke were the problem does not literally mean everyone else was perfect.

The point was that Dez and Zeke were that relative to expectations that they were the problems.

This defense is very young and will have some struggles. Carroll was terrible but expectations are very low for him as a stop gap player and he didn't play that many snaps.

The expectation is that Dak will struggle with no running game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JG would mess that up. When would the fanbase say Dak is looking at Julio too much?
I never heard that about Aikman-Irvin.

If Dez was Irvin you would never here it now.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Yes but im referring more to the poor throws coming his way. Dez had to play defense on like 3 different throws. Dak kept trying to force that back shoulder fade when Talib was on Dez and Talib read it correctly everytime. If Dak throws it over the top, its probably a TD...

He also caused the first pick by flat missing an easy pitch and catch.

Again it's been widely chronicled and discussed by opposing players and analysts, Dez route running is very ordinary and a good cb shuts him down more often than not.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Dez Bryant has turned himself into a joke.

I would trade him for Emmanuel Sanders in a heartbeat. That guy runs crisp routes and competes on every play.

Dez Bryant is not a player you can depend on.

Yep, trade him for Sanders and then watch Dez go back to Pro-Bowl caliber Dez. Common denominator??? Demaryius Thomas. It's amazing how open a WR can get when both WR's attract attention.

Emmanuel Sanders + Bryce Butler = See Dez week 2.

manster4ever

Reaction score
This was what has become a pretty typical game for Dez....but Zeke needs to man up and decide how good of a player he wants to be........the talent is there but like so many before him his desire and maturity needs to catch up with his talent.

Zeke is a punk IMO. Sure he has some gifted physical attributes but his attitude and maturity suck. He needs to grow up and grow up fast.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Sign a free agent to replace him next season and draft a WR to replace Butler.

This season get Switzer more snaps.

Whatever your on I want some too.

There aren't any good WRs due to be free agents this offseason, and the ones that are available are 98 years old, not any good, or not leaving were they are right now.

Eventually you will have to get over your Dez hate, taking a big cap hit with noone to replace him just doesn't make sense as of right now.

vaturkey

Reaction score

Agree. I think Dak threw Dez three front shoulder fades. That won't work in any league including Pop Warner.

Verdict

Reaction score
The only thing worse than the game is the attemps by most to analyze it.

Everyone is being blamed but one of the worst offender rarely gets much blame and the other didn't get enough blame.

For instance, people saying La'el was terrible, have no clue. He shut down Miller for about 3 quarters until the Cowboys had to pass on every snap and Dak had to hold the ball longer trying to get back into the game.

The blame should all go to Dez and Zeke.

The Cowboys formula is to use a super running game to make it easier for a young QB to have succees and to help a very young defense.

Zeke looked distracted and possibly unmotivated. He also looked sluggish and possibly too heavy. Hopefully it was just the altitude.

Dez can't consistently get open. He is a QB-UNfriendly #1 WR. He runs out of bounds on many sideline routes and is the worst route runner of any #1 WR that I've seen. It is obvious when he does not expect to get the ball because he barely even runs on those plays. His run blocking is comical.

Fix those 2 issues and everyone gets better. That would reduce the amount of time the defense is on the field and drastically help Dak.

If they could magically replace Dez with Julio Jones or even Jordy Nelson, the Cowboys would be a completely different team.

I am the biggest of Zeke fans but he sucked yesterday and he does look out of shape. I think the altitude got to him some. He is the last person I would have thought it would affect.

And on Dez, yeah you are spot on. Dez seems like a good guy but he is a one trick pony. You don't want to pay a guy 70 plus million to only be able to get jump balls around the goal line. A guy who gets paid that much should be a top 5 guy. Dez may not be in the top 30 overall now.

Verdict

Reaction score
X, i respect your opinions but I cant agree with this.

Dak's accuracy has been erratic all season. And we cant use the "2nd year 4th round qb" excuse due to his stellar play. He cant get all the praise when things go great and be absolved of all blame when things go poorly. Even the head coach yesterday called him out and said he has to be better. Most of his throws to Dez this year havent even been close...

He hasn't been accurate on some throws. He has been behind a lot and also a little high on other throws. I think it is a combination of knowing he is facing two of the top DL in the past two weeks and not enough playing time in preseason. I think it will iron it's self out.

Verdict

Reaction score
If Dez isn't open....then that's on Dak to throw it to others. You can't blame Dez for being Dez. Anquan Boldin had a fine career despite not never being open. Possession receivers are tightly covered. Cowboys need to figure out ways to get the ball in his hands.

No they need to quit forcing it to Dez when Beasley and Witten are open on almost every play.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't see why this is news to anyone. It should be clearly obvious to anyone who doesn't have a foam finger brain.

Bryant is a limited "#1 WR". Aside from the back shoulder fade and jump passes, he is woefully average. He is not the smartest player and as much as people like to pretend he is anything like Irvin, he is not.

But you can't say that or you get branded as a "hater" or whatever.

I have been on this bandwagon since we paid him all that money. It was a mistake to pay him that much money. He is great at one thing and probably below average on everything else.

Verdict

Reaction score
This team paid Dez to the detriment of the team. Leary was let go in part because of the Dez contract. I would gladly trade a healthy Leary for a healthy Dez so long as their cap numbers went with them.

Verdict

Reaction score
JG would mess that up. When would the fanbase say Dak is looking at Julio too much?

I think Dak is constantly being told to get the ball to Dez to get him going. Early on he threw to the open man. Forcing it to Dez has been a fairly recent phenomenon.

khiladi

Reaction score
So Zeke and Dez have to cover for all the incompetence, because Dak was picked higher or we have young 'talent' in defense..

Forget the fact Zeke has to go against stacked line and so does the OL, because Denver wanted to see if Dak could make them pay.. he's still suppose to run well against 8 and 9 man fronts all the time.. but you know, it's Zeke's fault that Dak can't throw deep right now or well in general this season to challenge Denver deep, because you know he's a fourth round pick..

Too bad that excuse of being a fourth round pick wasn't heard all off season.. back then it was he's the next Brady. He's too smart to hand a sophomore slump.. yada, yada, yada

BTW, Matt Ryan throws an incredibly high number of tight window passes with accuracy and zip.. unless Dak can become Ryan, things aren't going to be solved simply with Julio Jones..