MJ vs Elvis Who will be remember as the biggest icon?

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
YoMick;2829219 said:
Just a tidbit.

Megatrends and historical patterns project the end of the literary word. We are in the middle of a mutlimedia transition/adaption. Text out, Audio/Visual in.

really? too bad. However, I doubt text will cease to exist., it serves a lot of functions, especially in the academic and scientific community. Even if we eventually faze out text to using audio/visual, I can't spend hours looking at research "videos" or listening to "audios" to find what I'm looking for when a simple reading the abstract and references will do. Much faster and quicker to read/skim texts for relevant information.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Avaj;2824772 said:
Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley

I know we have a wide generation of members on here, who will be remember as the biggest icon? If neither then who do you think we be remember as the biggest?

no contest.. MJ

MJ is a international icon that really made music videos and concerts a theatrical event. He is also the biggest selling artist, album and I think single of all time. biggest minority celebrity globally. and influenced artists like usher and byonce.

Elvis is an American icon who had a voice AND sex appeal. And he used that to his advantage. Plus he was notorious for the child bride thing just like jerry lee lewis. both romanced and married little girls.

biggest icons...

Rock- Elvis
Pop- MJ
Country- Johnny Cash (until we lose George Strait)

Others that were pioneers and genius in thier craft..
Kurt Cobain
Hendrix
Tupac
Marley

And as far as iconic bands... Lynard Skynard, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Beatles

jm2¢

FloridaRob

Reaction score
CowboyPrincess;2829672 said:
no contest.. MJ

,,,,. both romanced and married little girls.

And MJ romanced 12 yr old boys-what does that have to do with anything. If we are going to measure them by how many women they were with, I guess Elvis wins even if you just count Priscilla. I doubt MJ was EVER with a woman....

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CowboyPrincess;2829672 said:
no contest.. MJ

MJ is a international icon that really made music videos and concerts a theatrical event. He is also the biggest selling artist, album and I think single of all time. biggest minority celebrity globally. and influenced artists like usher and byonce.

Elvis is an American icon who had a voice AND sex appeal. And he used that to his advantage. Plus he was notorious for the child bride thing just like jerry lee lewis. both romanced and married little girls.

biggest icons...

Rock- Elvis
Pop- MJ
Country- Johnny Cash (until we lose George Strait)

Others that were pioneers and genius in thier craft..
Kurt Cobain
Hendrix
Tupac
Marley

And as far as iconic bands... Lynard Skynard, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Beatles

jm2¢
Nice mention of Cobain. Rock music hasn't changed much in the past 20 years and that past 20 years was pretty much due to him. I'm not sure anyone in rock music has had that much impact.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Michael was great but he was also a benefactor of times as well.
  • MTV platform
  • Managers/Industry pushing for international touring/business
If Elvis had MTV platform and international aspirations(by his management) or international "vision" he would have been even bigger.

Like I mentioned, in death Elvis still banks $40 million per year.

I believe I heard Priscilla Presley say, "after Elvis died, she was offered money so that "they" could wrap his estate and debt etc while she mourned and not to be concerned with anything "they" would take of it". I believe Elvis was in financial trouble. She replied, "yeah.. uh, no... thats ok" She went on to help build his legacy after his death.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Elvis.

He took us into a new era and defined it.

And he hit Anne Margaret.

ann_margret_gallery_37.jpg

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
YoMick;2830562 said:
Michael was great but he was also a benefactor of times as well.
  • MTV platform
  • Managers/Industry pushing for international touring/business
If Elvis had MTV platform and international aspirations(by his management) or international "vision" he would have been even bigger.

Like I mentioned, in death Elvis still banks $40 million per year.

I believe I heard Priscilla Presley say, "after Elvis died, she was offered money so that "they" could wrap his estate and debt etc while she mourned and not to be concerned with anything "they" would take of it". I believe Elvis was in financial trouble. She replied, "yeah.. uh, no... thats ok" She went on to help build his legacy after his death.

Michael all but created that platform he benefited from. My vote's for MJ, but I understand why some would say Elvis.

I think Elvis is huge in this country, but MJ is huge globally.

The Grim Reaper

Benched
Reaction score
I always thought MJ was Michael Jordan. So Michael Jackson borrowed MJ? It fits. He also borrowed Elvis' title "The King" and transformed it to "the king of pop." He even borrowed Elvis' fashion sense. Look at the outfit he wore at halftime of Super Bowl XXVII. It looks amazingly like one of Elvis Presley's outfits. Michael even borrowed Presley's daughter.

I don't know how you can be bigger standing in the shadows.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jackrussell;2830591 said:
Elvis.

He took us into a new era and defined it.

And he hit Anne Margaret.

ann_margret_gallery_37.jpg
Legs like those can only be defined as lethal weapons.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
You people who think MJ was big globally but not Elvis have no earthly idea what you're talking about.

Elvis was THE international superstar. There was nowhere on the planet he could go without being known.

You all either have short memories, or are too young. I'm guessing the latter.