MJ vs Elvis Who will be remember as the biggest icon?

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
Hostile;2827194 said:
Please tell me why I should answer this if I am not saying you are lying.

I said it comes across.

You said "But I would never sit here and tell you I know nothing about them"

Well we did sit here and tell you, so what does that make us??

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avaj;2827202 said:
First of all both the Beatles and Elvis was around before I was born. I said earlier in the thread Elvis died when I was like 4. What was I suppose to pay attention to? Like I've said I heard of both, but really couldn't give you much detail about either. I was talking to my mother earlier about this. She said no I wouldn't know much about them because she didn't play them around me. She said I know about Smokey Robinson, The Temptations, The Whispers and others because that is what she & my father played all the time. Which I do. She wasn't a fan of either, wasn't her taste in music so therefore they didn't introduce me to to either. She knows who they are and was raised with the mania of both.
Patton was around before I was born. Louis Armstrong was around before I was born. Hitler was around before I was born. Al Capone was around before I was born.

What would you pay attention to? TV shows that mentioned him, movies that mentioned him. There's a movie coming out right now starring Johnny Depp as John Dillinger. It just seems reasonable to me that someone could learn something about John Dillinger by watching the movie. Just like you learned about Elvis and his dance moves on Ed Sullivan from "Forrest Gump." Just like you learned the founder of the Ku Klux Klan was named Nathan Bedford Forrest from that movie. I don't go through life in a vacuum. I learn as I go and I put things together and it creates a picture.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avaj;2827206 said:
I said it comes across.

You said "But I would never sit here and tell you I know nothing about them"

Well we did sit here and tell you, so what does that make us??
Uninformed people living in a vacuum. I would never tell you I am complete uninformed about things that shaped our culture and History.

Ever.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hostile;2827209 said:
Uninformed people living in a vacuum. I would never tell you I am complete uninformed about things that shaped our culture and History.

Ever.

Condescending much?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2827203 said:
But you kinda are though :p: .

It's cool.
Let me tell you something about me Mike. I am about as subtle as a Mack truck with no brakes tailgating you downhill on a mountain road.

I am not calling anyone a liar. There is no "kinda are" with me. If I think you are lying I will flat out say it and I won't care if it offends you. I care that you think I did. There is a huge difference to me.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2827212 said:
Condescending much?
Proof of what I said in the other post while you were posting this.

Yes, I am being condescending here. Absolutely. I think this is unflattering.

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
Hostile;2827208 said:
Patton was around before I was born. Louis Armstrong was around before I was born. Hitler was around before I was born. Al Capone was around before I was born.

What would you pay attention to? TV shows that mentioned him, movies that mentioned him. There's a movie coming out right now starring Johnny Depp as John Dillinger. It just seems reasonable to me that someone could learn something about John Dillinger by watching the movie. Just like you learned about Elvis and his dance moves on Ed Sullivan from "Forrest Gump." Just like you learned the founder of the Ku Klux Klan was named Nathan Bedford Forrest for that movie. I don't go through life in a vaccum. I learn as I go and I put things together and it creates a picture.

My o my. First of all I'm not big on movies. My thing is sports. I can count on 1 hand how many movies I went to the theater and watched a movie. I didn't grow up watching movies either. The only movie I watch as a child I can remember is Roots. Ethio said it earlier not everyone watches tv. My family didn't, the only thing we would watch is sports. Talk to me about sports and jazz, again I say it is what I know then I can give you details and all. The rest I really don't have no interest. I've heard of it all, but just don't have interest it in all, if that makes sense.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I never would have bet this thread would have nearly 600 posts. And in such a short period of time.

I nominate this thread as an ICON of threads.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avaj;2827217 said:
My o my. First of all I'm not big on movies. My thing is sports. I can count on 1 hand how many movies I went to the theater and watched a movie. I didn't grow up watching movies either. The only movie I watch as a child I can remember is Roots. Ethio said it earlier not everyone watches tv. My family didn't, the only thing we would watch is sports. Talk to me about sports and jazz, again I say it is what I know then I can give you details and all. The rest I really don't have no interest. I've heard of it all, but just don't have interest it in all, if that makes sense.
None at all. Music and sports are intertwined so often that I remain puzzled and amused.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2827220 said:
I never would have bet this thread would have nearly 600 posts. And in such a short period of time.

I nominate this thread as an ICON of threads.
Waiter thread > MJ/Elvis thread

:)

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
Hostile;2827222 said:
None at all. Music and sports are intertwined so often that I remain puzzled and amused.

True, but I don't watch sports to listen to music. I watch for the game or competition, but that is just me.

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
ethiostar;2827117 said:
Putting aside the rest of the world. I know enough people in the US who do not watch TV, follow sports or follow pop culture in general. They are just not interested. They never grew up watching TV either and some of them do not own a TV. Most of them have heard of Elvis and MJ and might have heard of their music at some point in their life time but they can not tell you a song title by either one or any other artist. They just don't care.

Other friends who listen to music but different kinds and can recognize Elvis if they here him but can not tell you much about him, including a song of his.

My mother in-law, who i talked to about an hour ago knew who Elvis was but couldn't tell me the name of one of his songs. Does that mean that she doesn't recognize his songs if she heard it, no, i'm sure she would but she just doesn't care to know or put the effort to try to remember it. She says she never did care cause all she listened to was gospel music. She lives in Virginia on a farm and she has been there her entire life. She doesn't watch TV and when she listens to the radio she listens to christian radio.

Nothing about your opinion upsets me and i doubt whether WG or Mike or Avaj are upset about it. I think we find it, shall we say interesting, that you and others are insisting that that is damn near impossible and have essentially been called liars becasue of it. Not by you but others.

I used to be taken aback by what some people don't know, about stuff that i considered to be common knowledge. But, i've met enough people to know that what i consider to be common knowledge is not always that common.

I have a lot of respect for you Hos, i hope you know that, but i'm gettig a kick out of your reaction to the lack of Elvis knowledge among people, Americans or otherwise.

I'll say again, but this post just sums it up for me.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
watching a movie and being able to pick up all of its references is another. No, I did not know much about what you said about Forrest Gump, and I've watched it a couple of times. I know Forrest, and the famous chocolate quote, and running where his leg braces come off, and I know the reference to AIDS, and that guy that ended up in a wheel chair but i can't remember his name. But that is the extent of my memory of the movie. We remember the gist of things, but not verbatim. If we don't take notice, or don't care to notice, the memory of it fades as quickly as it was registered.

It's sad, but i live on Music row here in Nashville, and I see billboards and flyers and benches proclaiming one #1 song of some artist or another, and in fact, I see it everyday walking my dog. but, if you asked me about so and so, unless it was a sign about Taylor Swift, or Carrie Underwood, I would not know, even if I see their names/song everyday for the past month.

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
VietCowboy;2827227 said:
watching a movie and being able to pick up all of its references is another. No, I did not know much about what you said about Forrest Gump, and I've watched it a couple of times. I know Forrest, and the famous chocolate quote, and running where his leg braces come off, and I know the reference to AIDS, and that guy that ended up in a wheel chair but i can't remember his name. But that is the extent of my memory of the movie. We remember the gist of things, but not verbatim. If we don't take notice, or don't care to notice, the memory of it fades as quickly as it was registered.

I agree, great point.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
VietCowboy;2827227 said:

It's sad, but i live on Music row here in Nashville, and I see billboards and flyers and benches proclaiming one #1 song of some artist or another, and in fact, I see it everyday walking my dog. but, if you asked me about so and so, unless it was a sign about Taylor Swift, or Carrie Underwood, I would not know, even if I see their names/song everyday for the past month.
I read this somewhere...

"When you come to the end of all the light you know, and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: Either you will be given something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly"

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Hostile;2827230 said:
I read this somewhere...

"When you come to the end of all the light you know, and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: Either you will be given something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly"

I like it. I think it's by edward teller, but i've seen variants of it given credit to different people.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
VietCowboy;2827231 said:
I like it. I think it's by edward teller, but i've seen variants of it given credit to different people.
Look at your signature.

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
Hostile;2827235 said:
I think it's a lousy point. I can't fathom watching a movie and not getting it.

Wow just wow. Who said they didn't get the movie? I'm like her I saw Forrest Gump and I don't remember all you reference to as well and I did get the movie.