News: MLB Jaylon Smith is Working Hard

CCBoy

Reaction score
MLB Jaylon Smith is Working Hard
http://profootballtalkline.com/nfl/...115700/mlb-jaylon-smith-is-working-hard.html/

Listening to Cowboys coaches over the last couple of years and the one quality you repeatedly hear attributed to the young man is his work ethic on display during his recovery. Make no mistake about it, Jaylon is still “in recovery.” Since Jerry Jones exalted in spending “only” second-round draft currency on the talented, but severely injured MLB in the 2016 NFL Draft Smith has been “working hard.” This entails an attention to detail few can fathom. The man is attentive in every rehab drill. Every one. Each and every day. Each week. Every month. All of them. His attitude remains upbeat and focused while his belief in his eventual recovery has never wavered since his horrific injury right before the draft of that year. To keep such a positive outlook for so long takes tremendous mental discipline. Impressive is an understatement.

For two solid years, Smith has persevered mentally while fully aware his physical abilities were nowhere near what they were before the incident. He has heard the echoes of “bust” in the press yet still managed to play a full 16 game schedule last season while working on 1.8 wheels. He has had to learn the NFL game at the same time he’s learning his new limitations. Then he has to challenge those limitations on a daily basis while still finding a way to be valuable in the scheme. He struggled, yet he never quit and he always improved.

You can’t help but be impressed about the player and more importantly, the man. And that’s the rub. Because the team spent a valuable second-round pick on Jaylon and Jerry Jones boasted of the “top-5 value” the Cowboys got with the selection he is judged thusly. Morris Claiborne’s evolution was stunted by this type of pressure as he struggled to come back from injury. Confidence is no small thing...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He recently established he has been working out sans the foot brace he was forced to wear all of last season and that level of recovery is exciting indeed. One would have to believe the on-field impact will be significant.
I've said all along, give this kid a healthy offseason to workout and learn even more from Lee and get ready for him to make big plays next September.

Reaction score
Say what you want about his abilities, but the guy is as mentally tough as they come given what he has gone through these past 2+ years.

I don't expect him to be the player he would have been pre-injury. I just want him to be a solid contributor.

That's about what you should expect for a second round pick.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I've said all along, give this kid a healthy offseason to workout and learn even more from Lee and get ready for him to make big plays next September.

I tend to position him in a similar status as Irving now:

Irving will not participate during Wednesday's practice as he is trying to get himself in shape, Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.
Irving, who signed his restricted free agent tender with Dallas in April, appeared in just eight games last season. But, he was able to register seven sacks. Once he's back in shape, he should begin practicing with the rest of the team...still rehabbing some, but working out for real.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He is a thumper

A year or two in the Cowboys' conditioning programs, and he'll be a thumper all right!

He'll come around looking like Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith...the linebacker group will then be called: 'Guns Incorporated!'

Last edited:

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
Smith is going to be our best line backer and he does not shy away from contact

Best ?
Sean Lee still has a pulse right ?

He could drastically improve but based on what we've seen if LVE isn't better that was a terrible pick.. so he'd be third for me

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Best ?
Sean Lee still has a pulse right ?

He could drastically improve but based on what we've seen if LVE isn't better that was a terrible pick.. so he'd be third for me
I set no time frame on my statement If not for the injury Smith would have been the 1 st player drafted in 2016

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
I set no time frame on my statement If not for the injury Smith would have been the 1 st player drafted in 2016

Rams and eagles gave up significant draft capital too move up and acquire a qb

Come on ur not making sense

We weren't taking him over zeke
Jags weren't taking him over Ramsey
Ravens maybe instead of Stanley

He was an incredible player in college compared too kuechly by more then a few analysts. But even Luke was drafted 8th...