News: MLB Jaylon Smith is Working Hard

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This kid is gonna turn some heads this year ........... if he is even 90 percent of what he was in college

Number1

Reaction score
of all JJ's draft day gambles I had no problem with a R2 pick for Jaylon

a big issue many miss is the age of Jaylon, he's barely 22 and has been growing since injured 2.5 years ago - may simply out grow the injury

notice the biggest problem last year was he looked goofy at times, like a big kid in high school, he's added a lot of muscle, his muscle memory (reflexes) will improve

if the nerve regens enough for him to be comfortable in a back pedal - he's back - that's a good size if, but his work ethic tilts the odds his way

Flamma

Reaction score
A year or two in the Cowboys' conditioning programs, and he'll be a thumper all right!

He'll come around looking like Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith...the linebacker group will then be called: 'Guns Incorporated!'

I dunno, with Vander's neck, Lee' hamstring, and Jaylon, I'm leaning more towards the "Crips linebacking crew". The CLC.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Great kid, HUGE recovery.
When I saw him blow his knee out it was a huge shock. And, in the back of my mind I have this weird anxiety of him getting hurt again. Maybe it's that I blew my knee out. Maybe it's that it was so serious.
That all being said he's recovered and has made some plays. The important thing is Lee and the rookie.

Everyone needs to stay healthy and there's no doubt in my mind the core will be very good.

I do worry about depth though....

CCBoy

Reaction score
Great kid, HUGE recovery.
When I saw him blow his knee out it was a huge shock. And, in the back of my mind I have this weird anxiety of him getting hurt again. Maybe it's that I blew my knee out. Maybe it's that it was so serious.
That all being said he's recovered and has made some plays. The important thing is Lee and the rookie.

Everyone needs to stay healthy and there's no doubt in my mind the core will be very good.

I do worry about depth though....

Dallas announced early in the offseason that they plan on moving Jaylon Smith to strongside linebacker this season. Middle linebacker and the weakside ‘backer are the two most important linebacker positions in the Cowboys’ defense, so Smith’s role as a prototypical linebacker could be greatly diminished at the SAM. However, if the Cowboys turn Smith into a hybrid pass rusher, we can see his value to the Cowboys greatly increase.

Obviously, having three linebackers with blazing sideline-to-sideline speed isn’t a bad thing; especially when all three have some injury concerns. But, when healthy, converting Jaylon Smith to a hybrid pass-rushing Sam linebacker could bring the Cowboys defense to the next level. Think of Seattle’s defense when they had Bruce Irvin— someone who played that exact role, and played it well. Kris Richard, Seattle’s old defensive coordinator, is bringing aspects of his old schemes to Dallas, and we’ve already seen him change the position of two starting players on the Cowboys defense—Smith and Byron Jones, who is converting back to cornerback. Perhaps Richard’s true intention of moving Smith to the strongside backer was to have him in this hybrid role, all along...

Another benefit of having Smith rush the passer more frequently could be keeping him healthy. He would put less stress on his surgically-repaired knee in a pass rushing role, rather than having to cover in space, which requires a lot of lateral movement. Kris Richard likes to play a physical brand of football, and having a hybrid pass rushing Sam linebacker like Smith could be an underrated asset for Dallas’ defense moving forward.

https://thelandryhat.com/2018/05/26/dallas-cowboys-jaylon-smith-primarily-pass-rusher/

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Man, if Jaylon can play without the brace, Dallas might just have three LBs with dynamic
coverage skills. We've been fortunate to have one - Lee - for all these years. As dependable as Hitch was, coverage was not his strong suit.
Or we could have 2 out of the 3 starters on the training table at any given point. It could really be feast of famine at LB. Tired of the word "potential" ..now we need to have players meet up with expectations. Willing to be patient, but its a short leash.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Less talk,more results is what we need in general from this team. We been talkin for way too long and NEVER walkin the walk...its been 2 damn decades or more. Sounds great Jaylon..now zip it...and show us.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Top story: " MLB Jaylon Smith working hard." OMG...isn't he SUPPOSE to be working hard anyways? This is a story? I would be worried if he wasn't "working hard." Do we need to issue him a brownie point or something for doing what he's suppose to be doing anyway? Jeesh...expectations and standards these days in Cowboyland have really lowered.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I tend to position him in a similar status as Irving now:

Irving will not participate during Wednesday's practice as he is trying to get himself in shape, Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.
Irving, who signed his restricted free agent tender with Dallas in April, appeared in just eight games last season. But, he was able to register seven sacks. Once he's back in shape, he should begin practicing with the rest of the team...still rehabbing some, but working out for real.
I wouldn't compare the two as similar in any evaluation.
You put Jaylons brain in Irvings body, and Irving is one of the best DL in the game.
Irving is showing early signs of lazy, unmotivated, and got payed enough.
Jaylon on the other hand is recovering from a career ending injury, because he has motivation, and he is not lazy.
Polar opposites.