News: MLB Jaylon Smith is Working Hard

Rayman70

Reaction score
TIS THE SEASON FOR FLUFF ARTICLES. If we roll Jaylon out there as the starting MLB we will be in big trouble. He's too light to take the beating inside. He is well suited for the weakside. LVE should be the strong side LB. We need to sign Kendricks or Bowman to start at MLB. Lee needs to be a part time player due to his age and injury history. That way we can preserve him.Lee can rotate in at weakside and MLB at times. I personally don't want Lee starting and taking a ton of snaps. I want to preserve him for the post season if we get that far.

BermyStar

Reaction score
Top story: " MLB Jaylon Smith working hard." OMG...isn't he SUPPOSE to be working hard anyways? This is a story? I would be worried if he wasn't "working hard." Do we need to issue him a brownie point or something for doing what he's suppose to be doing anyway? Jeesh...expectations and standards these days in Cowboyland have really lowered.
Our standards haven't lowered at all. The news stream has slowed down because...it's May.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Our standards haven't lowered at all. The news stream has slowed down because...it's May.
No..I gotcha..its May. I never get too up or down this time of year. Much can happen by the time we open camp.I just get a little chippy when I see this many fluff articles...its a tad much. As if "working hard" is somehow over and beyond the norm..lol..you know what I mean?

BermyStar

Reaction score
No..I gotcha..its May. I never get too up or down this time of year. Much can happen by the time we open camp.I just get a little chippy when I see this many fluff articles...its a tad much. As if "working hard" is somehow over and beyond the norm..lol..you know what I mean?
Yeah, I understand, it's hard reading some of the "news" this time of year. In fact I don't read most of it. Truth is this thread could have had a title more aligned with Jaylon's progress than with the fact that he's working hard (like he's paid to do).

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand, it's hard reading some of the "news" this time of year. In fact I don't read most of it. Truth is this thread could have had a title more aligned with Jaylon's progress than with the fact that he's working hard (like he's paid to do).
agree. Its pretty misleading. I believe we need to play him at weakside and leave him there. At just under 230 pounds he wont last at MLB. He will get washed out or plain beat up. Lee at back up at all 3 positions...like a HC of sorts would be best for the team and his health. LVE should be starting at strongside,and I think our starting MLB isn't on the roster yet...I know I will catch holy heck for that,but I'm not a fan of starting a rookie at MLB. Too much can go wrong.I want Kendricks or Bowman..both guys are big proven thumpers. Jaylon is none of those things.

BermyStar

Reaction score
agree. Its pretty misleading. I believe we need to play him at weakside and leave him there. At just under 230 pounds he wont last at MLB. He will get washed out or plain beat up. Lee at back up at all 3 positions...like a HC of sorts would be best for the team and his health. LVE should be starting at strongside,and I think our starting MLB isn't on the roster yet...I know I will catch holy heck for that,but I'm not a fan of starting a rookie at MLB. Too much can go wrong.I want Kendricks or Bowman..both guys are big proven thumpers. Jaylon is none of those things.
Agree or disagree you wont be catching heck from me. The point of these boards is to have discussions. If we all agreed those discussions would suck. I hold out hope that Lee can have another year or two that he is capable of starting (of course his health is the concern here). I like the thought of Jaylon on the strong side and being used to blitz a little more. Maybe he takes over the weakside from Lee eventually and is moved over to strong in obvious passing downs in order to keep him on the field once he gets up to par (which coincides with Lee's slowing down after a year or two). I don't like a rookie, especially with limited experience, being trusted to man the middle either, but I think it's going to happen. I think he'll be good eventually, but it's a tall order week 1 against Carolina.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Agree or disagree you wont be catching heck from me. The point of these boards is to have discussions. If we all agreed those discussions would suck. I hold out hope that Lee can have another year or two that he is capable of starting (of course his health is the concern here). I like the thought of Jaylon on the strong side and being used to blitz a little more. Maybe he takes over the weakside from Lee eventually and is moved over to strong in obvious passing downs in order to keep him on the field once he gets up to par (which coincides with Lee's slowing down after a year or two). I don't like a rookie, especially with limited experience, being trusted to man the middle either, but I think it's going to happen. I think he'll be good eventually, but it's a tall order week 1 against Carolina.
I think the Carolina game will be a tough ask for the new additions to the team. We may have a learning curve of sorts with Jaylon and LVE. Dak has to play huge right away if we are to defeat them. Zeke needs to start fast. Lee needs to have less snaps if he is to stay healthy, thats all I know. A darkhorse is Joe Thomas...I know we signed him for depth,but he is still pretty young and could play a larger role for us.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I see a 4-4 start to the season. Then we start to string together some wins and finish 10-6 and get a wildcard. If we can hit our stride at the end of the year heading into the playoffs,we will be dangerous,like the Jags last year. So truthfully,I see an up and down start to the year..lots of inconsistency due to all the changes,but we will have some juice later on as we go.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
All these fluff articles are going to be forgotten about as soon as Jaylon is washed out of a run play in week 1.

Not saying I don't believe in Jaylon, but I know how fans work.

Rayman70

Reaction score
All these fluff articles are going to be forgotten about as soon as Jaylon is washed out of a run play in week 1.

Not saying I don't believe in Jaylon, but I know how fans work.
First and foremost,he should be starting at weakside...Lee at strong and we need to sign Bowman or Kendricks to start at the MLB spot and bring LVE along slowly into the rotation. I feel we lack the body type of a proven starter at the moment in the middle. Jaylon will get manhandled inside.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Clear Eye View.
Focus.
Determined.
Earned.

GO GET'EM 54!!!

NotForLong

Reaction score
Dallas announced early in the offseason that they plan on moving Jaylon Smith to strongside linebacker this season. Middle linebacker and the weakside ‘backer are the two most important linebacker positions in the Cowboys’ defense, so Smith’s role as a prototypical linebacker could be greatly diminished at the SAM. However, if the Cowboys turn Smith into a hybrid pass rusher, we can see his value to the Cowboys greatly increase.

Obviously, having three linebackers with blazing sideline-to-sideline speed isn’t a bad thing; especially when all three have some injury concerns. But, when healthy, converting Jaylon Smith to a hybrid pass-rushing Sam linebacker could bring the Cowboys defense to the next level. Think of Seattle’s defense when they had Bruce Irvin— someone who played that exact role, and played it well. Kris Richard, Seattle’s old defensive coordinator, is bringing aspects of his old schemes to Dallas, and we’ve already seen him change the position of two starting players on the Cowboys defense—Smith and Byron Jones, who is converting back to cornerback. Perhaps Richard’s true intention of moving Smith to the strongside backer was to have him in this hybrid role, all along...

Another benefit of having Smith rush the passer more frequently could be keeping him healthy. He would put less stress on his surgically-repaired knee in a pass rushing role, rather than having to cover in space, which requires a lot of lateral movement. Kris Richard likes to play a physical brand of football, and having a hybrid pass rushing Sam linebacker like Smith could be an underrated asset for Dallas’ defense moving forward.

https://thelandryhat.com/2018/05/26/dallas-cowboys-jaylon-smith-primarily-pass-rusher/

I believe you are the only one to touch on it. This post carries the thread. Drafting LVE allows Jaylan to fulfill that pass rusher role. A specialized Pass rushing LB from the 4-3 alignment is not something many teams have had in the history of the NFL. Except for the truly great defenses.

Is anyone taking into account the drop foot aspect, the kid played with a brace a year after a very serious procedure. Because of injury he was thrown to the wolves and didn't miss a game. Ask yourselves how many of you would have milked the disability and stayed home. But not this kid .He went out and played MLB for the Dallas Cowboys. And you wanna criticize the player.

Is he a "Thumper"? I don't know and neither do you. Because you defineately can't judge it by last year's play. But what you can do, is see a he'll of a lot of positives.

Yet all I hear is

WAH WAH WAH
I want a "THUMPER" Bowman's a " THUMPER"
WAH WAH WAH

Really?

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
This thread is cringeworthy
Used too be intellectual posters in here

Jaylon smith at cb ????
Jaylon over lee what world do we live in ?????

People have these pre determined opinions let's see how he looks without the brace. So far he's been very bad. While Myles jack picked one selection after looks great.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
when I say a thumper,I mean Navarro Bowman. That's not really a knock on our current group ,I just know what Bowman can do and I trust him. In our system, we need that bigger LB in the middle to anchor that area. Jaylon is way too small. Lee is oft injured and too smallish...and LVE is a rookie and so its a lot to ask of him to step right in and be Luke Keuchly. Its really unfair IMO. We need to bring him along gradually and signing Bowman would be a huge plus.
Bowman is 6'0" and 240 lbs. Jaylon is 6'2" and 245 lbs. How in the world is Jaylon way too small?