News: MLB Jaylon Smith is Working Hard

John813

Reaction score
Thousands f fluff pieces come out this time of the year

Last time I got sucked by one was when there was a hype piece on Arkin and Nagy after the 2011 draft.
After that, I take them with a huge grain of salt.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
agree. Its pretty misleading. I believe we need to play him at weakside and leave him there. At just under 230 pounds he wont last at MLB. He will get washed out or plain beat up. Lee at back up at all 3 positions...like a HC of sorts would be best for the team and his health. LVE should be starting at strongside,and I think our starting MLB isn't on the roster yet...I know I will catch holy heck for that,but I'm not a fan of starting a rookie at MLB. Too much can go wrong.I want Kendricks or Bowman..both guys are big proven thumpers. Jaylon is none of those things.
Where do you get that Jaylon weighs just under 230 lbs? He is 6'2 245 lbs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Personal view I was happy to see Jaylon play last season considering here was a guy many questioned if he would ever play again. I think with his work ethics and time he spends in film study he will live up to the billing as a top player in this league.

Verdict

Reaction score
If you sign Bowman then you don’t draft LVE. A first rounder other than QB doesn’t sit.
Oh no, it's ok if Taco sits for his entire rookie contract, because late first round DEs "take time to get up to speed" and "that's all you can expect from a late first round pick" I learned that here at CZ. Lol

Verdict

Reaction score
Personal view I was happy to see Jaylon play last season considering here was a guy many questioned if he would ever play again. I think with his work ethics and time he spends in film study he will live up to the billing as a top player in this league.

He makes it easy to root for him.

817Gill

Reaction score
I think Jaylon will be used alot and be most effective in a blitzing role as the SAM. He's going to be the two down linebacker with Lee and LVE both either being or having the potential to be elite coverage LB's. Jaylons issues last year were lateral movement and play processing. Even though he'll be playing without a brace, the teams gonna put him in the best position to succeed and use his strengths; straight-line speed, sure tackler, and potential to be a special blitzer. His play recognition will naturally be better as he's a student of the game and this is his third season overall and first off-season with more focus on football than rehab.

The team signed Thomas to replace Wilber and drafted LVE & Covington. They've allocated all they are willing to allocate to the position. At this point it is a numbers game because there won't be 7 linebackers on the 53. Yes there is a natural worry when/if Lee goes down, but they team wants LVE and Smith to be the future of the position and want to allow them as much time to grow on the field as possible. Bringing in Bowman for a year or Kendricks for a year only holds back Smith and LVE's development. The team is fine with Wilson being their 4th and Thomas being their 5th. They both have starting experience and Wilson understands what the team wants the LB's to do and can be a solid starter for a few games at a time. Throw in a rookie in Covington who they really like and want to develop and you got your 6 LB's. The team will let Wilson walk next offseason and draft another LB in the 4th and keep the cycle going.

Also no starting caliber LB is going to take less money to be a 4th or 5th LB. Get real folks, Kendricks was a starter and had borderline pro bowl production in stints. He's looking for a paycheck or the chance to get one, we cant and wont give either of them. Same with Bowman. In reality the team has good depth in terms of talent and resources at the position, the only issue is the lack of experience. This is something the team is willing to live with. Playing Bowman and/or Kendricks would be indicative of the 2014 team or any team that believed it has a closing SB window. Why play vets for a season or 2 if you're a team that still has to grow. The teams real Superbowl window will be 2019-2022/23. Last year we took a few bumps and bruises to get better; 2018 will be similar but a step forward; 10-6/11-5 a playoff birth and maybe a trip to the divisional round. In 2019 though, unless some significant drop-off occurs at a position (the WR's in 2017); the team should only have 1 or 2 issues and 72$ million in cap space. After resigning their own, the team will still have enough for one big FA deal (Earl Thomas) and the draft. 2017 & 2018 are going to be looked back upon as building blocks to a 2019-2023 SB run. You heard it here first.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Say what you want about his abilities, but the guy is as mentally tough as they come given what he has gone through these past 2+ years.

I don't expect him to be the player he would have been pre-injury. I just want him to be a solid contributor.

That's about what you should expect for a second round pick.
This kid already has surpassed what I thought he’d do considering his injury. He played all last season. Yea he didn’t perform like most wanted but that is an accomplishment what he did playing the whole year and making some plays.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really want to like Jaylon Smith. I have a hard time believing in the guy right now, but I'd love it if he were to get back to being an impact player. If LVE and he were to both hit, we might be on to something finally on that side of the ball.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Where do you get that Jaylon weighs just under 230 lbs? He is 6'2 245 lbs.
He's not 245..no way. I saw it in a couple places.. Reason we are hearing talk of him playing safety is because of his weight. I personally think its dumb to consider him at safety. Keep him at Weak side linebacker.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
there is no way he is 230. He is listed on the roster at 245 lbs. I believe he is 240 minimum, which is what he was listed at ND. Just look at recent pics of him. he looks huge. the only talk I hear of him playing safety is from crazy fans on this site.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
He's not 245..no way. I saw it in a couple places.. Reason we are hearing talk of him playing safety is because of his weight. I personally think its dumb to consider him at safety. Keep him at Weak side linebacker.
The only person I've seen bring up Jaylon to S is the same poster who thinks the team should trade Chaz for a 3rd.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The only person I've seen bring up Jaylon to S is the same poster who thinks the team should trade Chaz for a 3rd.
Your prolly right...anywho...he's too light,unless he bulks up and adds about 15 pounds. He isn't a prototypical MLB. He looks the part of a weak side LB that can utilize his speed to make plays and cover. We don't need to waste his talents in the middle. He wont last...see Sean Lee.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He needs to be no less than 255 to be a viable starter at MLB. Even then,Im not sure that's a fit for his skillset.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Your prolly right...anywho...he's too light,unless he bulks up and adds about 15 pounds. He isn't a prototypical MLB. He looks the part of a weak side LB that can utilize his speed to make plays and cover. We don't need to waste his talents in the middle. He wont last...see Sean Lee.
I'm happy to let LVE settle in at the position. Jaylon can play the SLB and move to the Will in a few years.