MLB Regular Season

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I know I've said this before but the Phillies went through a long rebuild just like the Astros. This Phillies team is loaded and is going to be a beast for years to come. They're also being linked to a lot of trade rumors right now I've noticed.

Looks like the Phillies are back in the hunt for Machado as well because 2 of the prospects the Dodgers wanted to trade to them have medical issues. Sounds like Machado to the Dodgers is on hold for now.
PHI and ATL are loaded

If the Nats lose Harper their window may close and the Mets are being run into the ground

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
PHI and ATL are loaded

If the Nats lose Harper their window may close and the Mets are being run into the ground

I agree about ATL as well. They're winning now and still have one of the best farm systems in baseball. A lot of those teams that got laughed at when they were tanking are starting to make some noise.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I agree about ATL as well. They're winning now and still have one of the best farm systems in baseball. A lot of those teams that got laughed at when they were tanking are starting to make some noise.
They followed the Stros model

We will see if they fall into a Verlander(although giving up JD Martinez evens that out)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Just wait till Hamels comes back. Nasty rumor Trout wants to play for the Phillies being he's a Jersey boy.:thumbup:
It’s been a rumor since his rookie year, hon. :)

He will get locked up for a lifetime contract next season, a year before he hits FA. He loves it in Anaheim, hates the spotlight (or, at the very least is averse to it), and we have some players in the minors on the way that look very good. Even with our disasters at injury, we are still a .500 club. We have an owner who spends and must know he can’t lose Trout. Eppler will sell the world to him.

Or I revolt.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
They followed the Stros model

We will see if they fall into a Verlander(although giving up JD Martinez evens that out)

JD was a roller coaster when he was with the Astros. He would show flashes of greatness and then vanish. Oh well.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Yankess became so good so fast. I was being told that the Yankees were going to have to rebuild for awhile. Next thing I now, I turn around and Yankees have one of the best teams in baseball with a top 3 farm system ."What the hell just happened?"

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
It’s been a rumor since his rookie year, hon. :)

He will get locked up for a lifetime contract next season, a year before he hits FA. He loves it in Anaheim, hates the spotlight (or, at the very least is averse to it), and we have some players in the minors on the way that look very good. Even with our disasters at injury, we are still a .500 club. We have an owner who spends and must know he can’t lose Trout. Eppler will sell the world to him.

Or I revolt.

I agree. Give Trout what he deserves in 2020 and rebuild around him while you wait until the Pujols contract to expire in 2021. Tank a year or two to get some high draft picks (please tank for a couple of years) and then go all in during free agency. Trout would only be 29, I believe. There's a solid 5-6 year window left after that.

That's just me if I were running things though.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
This is as musch depressing as it is embarrassing. - from 10 games over .500 after a couple of weeks in the season to 16 games below by All Star Break. Mets should be in the Bush Leagues instead of the Major Leagues.

NL EAST STANDINGS

Team W L Pct. GB
Phillies 53 42 .558 -
Braves 52 42 .553 0.5
Nationals 48 48 .500 5.5
Marlins 41 57 .418 13.5
Mets 39 55 .415 13.5

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
This is as musch depressing as it is embarrassing. - from 10 games over .500 after a couple of weeks in the season to 16 games below by All Star Break. Mets should be in the Bush Leagues instead of the Major Leagues.

NL EAST STANDINGS

Team W L Pct. GB
Phillies 53 42 .558 -
Braves 52 42 .553 0.5
Nationals 48 48 .500 5.5
Marlins 41 57 .418 13.5
Mets 39 55 .415 13.5

You guys are in a tough division though. The Phillies and Braves are no joke. Throw in the Nats and you have your hands full.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You guys are in a tough division though. The Phillies and Braves are no joke. Throw in the Nats and you have your hands full.

That isn't their problem though. The Mets would struggle in AAA :lmao2:

Aside from the same yearly injuries(particularly Cespedes and the SP's), they have no offense. I think they are in the bottom three for production. At any given day, there is at least three starting fielders on the DL while filling in the holes with even worse scrubs :(

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
JD was a roller coaster when he was with the Astros. He would show flashes of greatness and then vanish. Oh well.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Yankess became so good so fast. I was being told that the Yankees were going to have to rebuild for awhile. Next thing I now, I turn around and Yankees have one of the best teams in baseball with a top 3 farm system ."What the hell just happened?"
They had been drafting better- SPs and were aggressive in the International Market- position guys

They had Judge, Sanchez, Severino, Betances and Bird in the pipeline and then made a couple big trades......Judge Andujar and Severino all exceeded expectations

They got GTorres, CFrazier, JSheffield for AMiller and AChapman and then signed AChapman back as a FA...... the Cubs got their WS so they gladly paid Torres but it was expensive

All this while CUTTING payroll to get under the Luxury Tax.... they probably saved over 100m this year by getting under 198m...............next year they will go for Machado, Harper and/or a SP

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
That isn't their problem though. The Mets would struggle in AAA :lmao2:

Aside from the same yearly injuries(particularly Cespedes and the SP's), they have no offense. I think they are in the bottom three for production. At any given day, there is at least three starting fielders on the DL while filling in the holes with even worse scrubs :(

I was trying to be delicate. :laugh:

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
They had been drafting better- SPs and were aggressive in the International Market- position guys

They had Judge, Sanchez, Severino, Betances and Bird in the pipeline and then made a couple big trades......Judge Andujar and Severino all exceeded expectations

They got GTorres, CFrazier, JSheffield for AMiller and AChapman and then signed AChapman back as a FA...... the Cubs got their WS so they gladly paid Torres but it was expensive

All this while CUTTING payroll to get under the Luxury Tax.... they probably saved over 100m this year by getting under 198m...............next year they will go for Machado, Harper and/or a SP

Great! another 5 years of watching the Astros and Yankees go 7 games in in the ALCS. I can't wait. A freaking heart attack. That's all that's missing in my life.
That and my uncle talking smack about the Yankees. :angry:

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Great News that Cespedes returned and helped the team win. Bad news is he needs surgery on both heels and will probably be out 8-10 months. Of course the Mets will most likely keep him on the roster for the rest of this season so he can help them win 70 games and lose him for the majority of next season.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I see @BoysfaninVegas got in trouble. Come back, quickly, brother. It's over before you know it.

@FloridaRob, it's official. I think you're my favorite member on this board during the MLB seasons, your posts always always get me! It's high time I Follow you, buddy. Love your posts, thank you for sticking with the thread even tho your Mets are having a cruddy season. Takes a real fan to stick around when the team is doing bad. Same with you, my pal, @Tabascocat

Us fans of middling franchise must add our depressive content to this forum of giddy Stros and Yanks and (ahem, Daboyz :D) Phillies fans! :D

Speaking of fans sticking by their franchise even during crap years, where the **** are all the Rangers fans? This is a Cowboys board, you'd figure there'd be at least one or two diehards in here.

Are they afraid Stros fans are gonna harass them? Our Stros fans in this thread are all humble. Kinda sad not a single Rangers fan in here.

I think MikeWin is a Rangers fans, but he has like 8 teams :muttley:. Where are the diehards? Sad.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Thanks Trouty. Of course I ask myself every baseball year why do I do this to myself. I dont watch the games like I used to. Maybe it is my age and I just am not going to let them bother me anymore. My just turned 17 year old grandson is Florida born and raised but I turned him into a Mets fan when he was younger just watchign the games together. He texted me a picture of him last night in his Thor Jersey and Mr Met Hat watching the game against the Yankees. We were both expecting the team to implode and eventually lose the game. I keep telling him we need to find another team. No way I would want him to go through his life with the total disappointment this team gives to their fans. But today I will probably find myself watching them again. Maybe I am not too old for therapy.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great News that Cespedes returned and helped the team win. Bad news is he needs surgery on both heels and will probably be out 8-10 months. Of course the Mets will most likely keep him on the roster for the rest of this season so he can help them win 70 games and lose him for the majority of next season.

Cespedes was such a ****** signing.

I thank the creator that the Mets outbid the Astros for that guy.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks Trouty. Of course I ask myself every baseball year why do I do this to myself. I dont watch the games like I used to. Maybe it is my age and I just am not going to let them bother me anymore. My just turned 17 year old grandson is Florida born and raised but I turned him into a Mets fan when he was younger just watchign the games together. He texted me a picture of him last night in his Thor Jersey and Mr Met Hat watching the game against the Yankees. We were both expecting the team to implode and eventually lose the game. I keep telling him we need to find another team. No way I would want him to go through his life with the total disappointment this team gives to their fans. But today I will probably find myself watching them again. Maybe I am not too old for therapy.

The difference between the Mets now in the late 70's is that in the late 70's there was no pretense of competing with the Phils, Pirates and the Cards. You knew if the Mets could outlast the Cubs and Expos it would be a good year, but there was no pressure or expectations. Before we had our cable expanded to beyond 13 channels we had the Yankees on WPIX and the Mets on WOR, with NBC having the Saturday game of the week.

I wasn't a Met's fan but I still watched.