Twitter: MM says McGovern starts at LG Sunday (Clarence Hill Jr)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Maybe this will light a fire under Williams to be better and work harder.

Who's to say he doesn't work as hard as he can. I hate that assumption about players, that if they are not good enough it's simply a matter of not working hard enough. It's more likely that Williams maximizes what he's got.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Wow…totally unexpected but the right move. Who replaces CM in the jumbo package?
CW is faster than CM, but weaker. CW more likely to speed out to the flat and catch a pass. CM is a meat mauler like Ron Leary but less penalties and better in pass pro

Reactions: BAT

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Just putting a band aid. If they wanted the best 5, Collins would be LG and Steel back to RT.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
2nd Round bust. Thanks for confirming.
2011-nobody
2012-traded away for a terrible CB (Claiborne)
2013- Escobar... lol
2014- Lawrence... oft injured, overpaid, will be off the team this offseason
2015- Gregory... oft suspended, will be off the team this offseason
2016- Jaylon Smith.... 'nuff said
2017- Awuzie... gave up too many completions, gone from the team
2018- Williams... holding 52, ten yard penalty, lol
2019- Trysten Hill... literally a nobody, gone from the team this offseason
2020 - Trevon Diggs... first good second round pick in over a decade?
2021- Kelvin Joseph... injured most his rookie year.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wow.. if true this is a monster move either way. If McGovern flops it means the coaches don't know what they're watching in practice and if he balls out it means they took 10 weeks to see what most of us saw in September.
I agree. I’m glad they didn’t think about moving Martin

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Good move. But if Tyron Smith is able to play, I would have rather moved La'el Collins to Left Guard and plugged in Terence Steele at Right Guard while leaving Connor McGovern to play FB while perma-benching Connor Williams and keeping him as a backup to Guard and Tackle.

My best starting 5 Olinemen:

LT Tyron Smith
LG La'el Collins
C Tyler Biadasz
RG Zack Martin
RT Terence Steele

Hulk Package FB: Connor McGovern

Backup Guard and Tackle: Connor Williams

Backup Center: Matt Farniok

McKDaddy

Reaction score
At least the time it takes the organization to come around to what the Zone knows is getting shorter.

Good to see the organization making changes when there are obvious shortcomings. You can't always fix the issue but to stubbornly just stick with original decision is just .... insane.

I have long recognized that CMc is a more powerful player. That alone should make him an upgrade even allowing that you are losing experience.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haven't read the whole thread, so maybe these things have been discussed, but a couple thoughts.
  • I wonder if they have thought that Mac would be a little (not a ton) better at LG but were worried about their ability to back up other positions (C, RG) effectively and would prefer putting Mac at less injury risk.
  • I don't see why they couldn't run their Mac packages the same as before: put CW in at LG for the play and have Mac do all the things he's been practicing. Rather than asking CW to learn all that stuff quickly. I don't think it would be a problem for line continuity, they're all very familiar with having CW in there.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who's to say he doesn't work as hard as he can. I hate that assumption about players, that if they are not good enough it's simply a matter of not working hard enough. It's more likely that Williams maximizes what he's got.
This exactly. I could work harder than Jerry Rice and be the greatest locker-room guy in history and be willing to work through any aches or pains or injuries, and I'd still get broken in half in my first play on the field. The idea that we can take anything we see on the field and attribute it to players' mental states is absurd. The same with being able to tell if they're "living up to their potential." You have no idea what their potential really is.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Personally think this will be a "push" move this season, CW suffers for bad anchor technique so big DTs give him fits, it is possible CM will have trouble with 3T type DTs, and there are more dynamic 3T in the NFL than dynamic Fat boy DTs

He played in a number of games at G last year and did just fine. Sure, everyone gets beat occasionally but I expect CMc to be an upgrade.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
So now they’re running the Cowboys like a real football team ? Why you gotta confuse me after all these years…

phildadon86

Reaction score
yeh that was at RG,.. now we get to see if he has or can improve his game at LG,.. a role he was struggling at in camp.

Right. Time will tell. :popcorn:
He will be next to Tyron. Tyron made CW look good at times. We will see as you said. McGovern is more of a Ron Leary type. I find the timing funny because we are going up against a team with a horrible run defense and we put in a run blocking G for that game. Bout time.

Reactions: BAT