MMQB giving props to a Moore hiring

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The chatter with Kellen Moore around Boise, even during his playing days, is that he was always being groomed to be a coach. He had an amazing teacher in Chris Peterson. It was obvious he didn't have the body type to play in the NFL (which is too bad because he was a smart player with ice in his veins) so it was always presumed he would climb the coaching ladder......and, here we are. People balk because he isn't a flashy name

It’s not even that. And it’s not his lack of coaching experience—which is a perfectly reasonable criticism. It’s that people made up their minds he’d be a terrible QB coach when he was selected because they hated him as a player and because he was a Linehan guy. They don’t want to admit being wrong if he gets a huge promotion after his first season, and they aren’t willing to set aside their original irrational bias.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
These are reporters who have no qualifications or basis to be making those judgements. Would you hire Albert Breer to pick your next OC? (Although based on your recent posts you might, so please excuse my assumption of common sense and intelligence)

They "think" that because of the same idiots inside the organization feeding them that info

Unless you think that the 'outside' people are separately interviewing Moore and evaluating his ability to be OC and are able to judge that?
The reporters talk to people in other organizations that have ties to him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Full quote: “6. I believe this: If the Cowboys were to ever move on from Jason Garrett, there’d be two guys atop their list to replace him, with a good drop-off thereafter. One of those names is New Orleans’ Sean Payton, the other is Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley. And if you consider that, it should inform how you look at their approach in replacing offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. Dallas wants innovation, and the kind that’ll fit Dak Prescott’s game, and quarterbacks coach Kellen Moore getting the call (I’m told he’ll likely be part of the equation there, regardless of who becomes OC) would actually make a lot of sense in that regard. Among the coaches in Dallas, Moore is known as a guy who knows how implement college concepts and can take quarterback-friendly ideas and apply them within different formations and personnel groups (leading to what McVay bases his offense on: simple for the offense, complex for the defense). Moore also has a solid understanding of trends and the rules, and how to attack a defense in the passing game. And he’s even-keeled and considered good for Prescott. Would it be a risk to just promote the 30-year-old? Sure. But the payoff in maintaining continuity while adding ingenuity could be big. We’ll see if that’s the road the Cowboys take.”

Here's my issue with this statement by Breer. It doesn't make a ton of sense.

I get continuity................... when you are talking about a situation where you have something performing well and want to continue that in the future. In other words, if we had a consistent high performing offense and the OC just decided to retire or take a HC job. Continuity, in that situation, has value.

But that's not the situation here. The offense was mediocre for much of the year. Very inconsistent from game to game. After the season, you decided to part ways with your OC because what you have on offense just isn't good enough. Why in the world is "continuity" a positive here? The reason you fired the OC was because you wanted change.

Sydla

Reaction score
The reporters talk to people in other organizations that have ties to him.

Well in fairness, Moore has pretty much zero ties to other organizations other than the Lions. So I am not sure there are a lot of people in management and leadership roles in other organizations that would have a ton of insight on Moore.

If he's hired, it's a very risky move. Might be your quintessential high risk, high reward hire.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
After 1 year at qb coach? What do they have to evaluate? The Cowboys are floating these things out in the media.
The people in other organizations who have worked with him rave about his intellect.

Dan Orlovsky was talking about him on 105.3 the fan on Friday

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Well in fairness, Moore has pretty much zero ties to other organizations other than the Lions. So I am not sure there are a lot of people in other organizations singing Moore's praise.
All coaches who came across him in Detroit and Boise. And those coaches who’s worked him out coming out of the draft and quizzed him on X’s and O’s.

He hasn’t just been around the same 10 people every day his whole life.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's my issue with this statement by Breer. It doesn't make a ton of sense.

I get continuity................... when you are talking about a situation where you have something performing well and want to continue that in the future. In other words, if we had a consistent high performing offense and the OC just decided to retire or take a HC job. Continuity, in that situation, has value.

But that's not the situation here. The offense was mediocre for much of the year. Very inconsistent from game to game. After the season, you decided to part ways with your OC because what you have on offense just isn't good enough. Why in the world is "continuity" a positive here? The reason you fired the OC was because you wanted change.

I’d guess Linehan is gone more because he wasn’t liked by offensive players and because of whatever the hangover effect was with whatever went down last year that we never got the story on was.

As for Moore, I have trouble taking it seriously, but it suggests he’s either a whiz kid, or Jerry’s putting it on Jason to earn his next extension and not signing a prominent outside guy to a contract under a possible lame duck HC. I think it’s the latter. Jerry likes having his coaches leveraged when he can do it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
While I hope if Moore is hired he has success, hiring from within doesn’t accomplish the coaching reset we hoped for and what I believe we need.

I guess we’ll see what happens.
I dont like to the move but what can we do, we can hope hes better play caller and Dak improves a bit more this season..thats al we can hope for given we run the same offnse.. I do beoieve there was a lot of missed opportunity's last year for yards and scoring that can get more meat off the bone with better use of the playbook and in game adjustments..

we do nOT know if Moore can do this or not..I feel they know why Scott was let go and for sure will try and improve..all those saying its bad move do not know this for fact..

I do know this if JG is not extended soon and this is the way its going Id say its a FO move saying Jason do it now with anew OC and QB coach or bye bye..that cant be bad things for fans wanting new direction..

I believe since the actual hires are not official the Cowboys are still looking at other people and waiting until after the SB to fully commit..they have others in mind and the Saints getting robbed yesterday might have crushed hopes SP quit and has shot here..

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I think people balk because he's been a coach for one year. It doesn't matter how he was groomed, he has very limited coaching experience.

We are coming off a season where the offense wasn't good enough to the point they decided they needed to part ways with the OC. And their solution might be to promote a one year NFL coach who was also part of said underperforming offense. I can't believe people don't understand why people would be highly skeptical of success coming from that move.
Understandable but it's obvious the front office sees something in him that us fans don't. All I'm saying is I'm willing to give him a chance. He's young, he's bright, he's been around football his entire life. There is a lot to like there. Everybody starts somewhere.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’d guess Linehan is gone more because he wasn’t liked by offensive players and because of whatever the hangover effect was with whatever went down last year that we never got the story on was.

As for Moore, I have trouble taking it seriously, but it suggests he’s either a whiz kid, or Jerry’s putting it on Jason to earn his next extension and not signing a prominent outside guy to a contract under a possible lame duck HC. I think it’s the latter. Jerry likes having his coaches leveraged when he can do it.

Probably partly true but the results also speak for themselves. The offense has been "ehhhh" for two years now.

I am not sure why you'd then sell "continuity" as a major selling point for Moore.

I am totally with you on that 2nd paragraph.

Sydla

Reaction score
Understandable but it's obvious the front office sees something in him that us fans don't. All I'm saying is I'm willing to give him a chance. He's young, he's bright, he's been around football his entire life. There is a lot to like there. Everybody starts somewhere.

Hence why people are skeptical of it's success............ because what this front office has "seen" has led to two decades of what has largely been futile results. When this front office does something outside the box, it's hard not to think, oh boy, here they go again.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
If Moore gets the job, it's probably because he offered to clean Jerry's glasses. He's not qualified. I know because Prescott hasn't improved in certain areas.

I believe what Aikman said is true. You either have it or you don't. You can't be taught.

Whaaaa???...ummmmm.....you just contradicted yourself with that statement

Rayman70

Reaction score
"jeeery" IS throwing crap against the wall to see if it will stick. NOTHING has indicated Moore has the wherewithal and experience to be an OC. Denial isn't just a river ladies and gentleman. Its been 24 years and counting...wash rinse repeat until once again LATHERED.

LittleD

Reaction score
What the Cowboy's FO is doing is logical from their POV if they are rolling with Garrett which they are. A new HC would want to pick his own OC and DC so sticking with Garrett means keeping most
of his coaches, filling in a few spots and only extending contracts to as long as you think Garrett will be extended. Garrett will be the new play caller and have Moore and Nussmeyer to help him
game plan. Garrett will probably focus much less on the defense going forward since he has Marrinelli and Richard to handle those duties.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I don't really care what the cowboys do this off season other than one thing DO NOT EXTEND JASON GARRETT because what ever they don't wont matter for next year theywill still be losers if they don't make the playoffs Jason garrett is gone gone gone