MMQB - The NFL’s Top 21 Quarterbacks for the Rest of 2017

Sydla

Reaction score
Something tells me that no matter how poorly Wentz plays you would be quick to put your pom poms on and spin it as the greatest thing since the forward pass was created. And then when he struggles, you would compare his stats to Joe Namath or Troy Aikman's.

It's really pathetic to watch.

Just like every stat last year had Wentz having a really good season thru his first 5 games. Then as the sample size grew he had a miserable rookie campaign.

It's not like I'm making this data out of thin air. Football Outsiders, Brian Burke and Warren Sharp have all seen the same exact data as well. That's why 3rd down conversions are often overrated because it's more important to do well on first and 2nd down. Just like the overrated importance of the 'red zone' when the best offensive scoring teams have performed the best on their own 20 to 50 yard line. Or how people overrate the importance of winning the running game or think Switzer running the ball off a kickoff return from the back of the end zone was a 'bad idea.' There's a plethora of fallacies in football that are spouted every day.

There's no doubt in my mind that Wentz has improved, but using 3rd down conversions as proof that he's a better QB has some real holes in terms of proving causation. The sample size is also small and the fact is that Dak still has a higher QBR than Wentz does this season and had a far higher QBR than Wentz did all of last season.

And that's with the Eagles averaging, sans Wentz, 4.5 yards per carry versus the Cowboys, sans Prescott, averaging 3.9 yards per carry.

At this point, the proof is that Dak is the better QB at this point in time. He has a better QBR than Wentz right now, he had a far better QBR last season and he has a far long sample size of playing well.

YR

The proof does not say Dak is the better QB. Only the "proof" you deem important (specifically any stat/analysis where Prescott is better and then throw out every stat/analysis that suggests he isn't).

And you'd be wrong about what I think of Wentz. I wouldn't put him in the Top 7 or so of QBs either. And the idea that he's 6th and Dak is 15th is pretty preposterous as the gap isn't nearly that big. But there is an argument, that he's having a better, even if slightly, season than Prescott. The fact you basically say that's impossible is kind of comical.

Funny you should mention Football Outsiders. They rank the QBs. Their two key measurements are DYAR (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement) and DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Replacement).

In DYAR, Wentz is 7th, Prescott is 15th.
In DVOA, Wentz is 9th, Prescott is 14th.

So according to FO, Wentz is having a better year this year.

Last edited:

Ken

Reaction score
You obviously have an reading comprehension problem if you think I said "Dak is not good", that was not my words. I said he has lost a step but in fairness to him he had a step to lose and still be good. He's just not getting it done like last season.
"
LOL, "he's missing guys for whatever reason"? He's lost a step is the reason. Granted the receiving corps is not helping but he is not playing as well. It's not fine. The Cowboys only go as far as their QB takes them and right now that's not good."

You said the Qb is not good, hence why the cowboys are not doing so well. This is reinforced by saying he is not playing as well.

If it weren't for Dak, we wouldn't have even been in the last couple of games.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Philly faithful and risen puke will love this list. Because they are obsessed with our 4th round QB. The outright envy has been incredible to observe.

But 15th best QB in the league with top 10 potential, that we got with the 129th pick in the draft!!!!! I'll take that everyday of the week and a double scoop on Sundays!

If Dak solidifies himself as a top 10 QB I don't give a damn if Carson Wentz goes on to become the GOAT... I'll be the happiest guy alive

Then it's the personel people's job to build a better roster than the Eagles

2-1, 3-0

Those be Troy Aikman's playoff records vs superior QB

Young and Favre

That be the number of SB won bythe guy some consider the GOAT, during his 15 full seasons as a starter.

Number of years he didn't win it all.

Build a better roster

Best roster wins. QB get the media hype

During that span Eli, Ben and Peyton all won multiple championships

Build a better roster

I always thought Romo >>> Brees

For those who think I hate Romo.

I only hate his fans who ignore his faults

Seriously, I don't know why more people don't look at it this way.