Mo Clay to Baltimore?*** signs with Jets***merged

DBOY3141

Reaction score
So yeah. I would have brought Claiborne back for that. Little risk contract. We have the space and there's no carry over to 2018.

This front office's approach to the defense this offseason is bizarre. They have literally done nothing to fix any of their biggest issues. They are counting on the draft to fix all their problems.

There isn't a spot on the defensive side of the ball that couldn't use help in the draft other than Lee, but he's an injury risk.
All there eggs are in the draft and the health of Tapper/Smith.

Sydla

Reaction score
All there eggs are in the draft and the health of Tapper/Smith.

Pretty much. They need Tapper to be legit, they need Smith to be healthy and they need to hit on probably 4 of their 6 draft picks for this defense to be better than the one that walked off the field after the GB loss.

All of that turning out well for us seems unlikely.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This front office's approach to the defense this offseason is bizarre.
Only to those who had misguided expectations.

The blueprint wasn't a secret. You just refused to believe it.
Who said anything about 2 years, 12 million? Is that what he got from the Jets?

I'd have paid 5 million for one year though without even blinking.
Prime example. The was no way the Cowboys were ever going to pay Mo $5M for one year.

Sydla

Reaction score
Only to those who had misguided expectations.

The blueprint wasn't a secret. You just refused to believe it.

The blueprint was to tear apart the entire secondary, sign a CB who was worse than the ones you just let walk, don't address the pass rush in FA and then find out one of the DTs you were counting on probably has a worse off shoulder than they thought when he went under the knife?

Yeah, I don't think that was the plan. I think the plan was to not spend like drunken sailors in FA on the to of the heap FAs, which I agree with by the way. But there were mid-level deals to be made that could have put you in a situation where your cap isn't killed AND you don't need a ridiculous hit rate on your draft to find impact players immediately.

Claiborne at $5MM was a deal that should have been made. It takes pressure off the draft where now you need to probably draft two and one has to be a stud and the other be at least decent.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The blueprint was to tear apart the entire secondary, sign a CB who was worse than the ones you just let walk, don't address the pass rush in FA and then find out one of the DTs you were counting on probably has a worse off shoulder than they thought when he went under the knife?

You just don't get it. Whatever has happened was the plan. And it was a great plan. A wonderful plan. Believe me.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Not on twitter or the Cowboys subreddit
I rarely go to the sub, 86. I need to check it out. I'm an everyday purveyor of r/NFL, tho.

I never read the twitter responses. It's almost as bad as YouTube comments. But at least YouTube comments are funny in a Jerry Springer/Maury Povich kind of way.

My comment (response to Nick) rests mainly on the fans of this board. By and large, it seems most are at least fine with the releases, with many more rejoicing them (the releases).

This board is the largest fansite of the our Boys, and it's not even close. Thus, ol' Nicky Boy, in thine eyes, is being a bit disingenuous. And as @Alexander elaborted on, so are a lot of fans on this board. The people upset with these losses (even those irked at not signing a single player from last year's secondary, included) are the minority. A lot of posts/threads here are creating a false narrative.

Just my perspective, brother.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Couldn't or did not want to?? I think it's the latter. Right or wrong, I think they made the decision to move on from Mo. 5 years was enough for them. We'll see if they were right.
It was a one year deal. I'm pissed.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a surprisingly matchable number.

I like MO's game....when he's on the field. They obviously think they can find CBs to work with in the draft. I guess we'll see.

Sydla

Reaction score
Couldn't or did not want to?? I think it's the latter. Right or wrong, I think they made the decision to move on from Mo. 5 years was enough for them. We'll see if they were right.

Well it appears we made some offer to bring him back so it's clear we would have been OK with him back.

When you have a gutted secondary, sometimes you have to pay a little more than you want to bring a player back that you clearly wouldn't have an issue bringing back.

I think this is an example where you see the inflexibility of this front office. You are going to have plenty of cap space to absorb that contract and it's a one year deal.

I mean honestly, I'd have taken Claiborne at $5MM and one year than what we paid Carroll, who is an inferior CB.

John813

Reaction score
Think we'll see more zone this year. Mo is more of a man or bust corner IMO.

We let our two man coverage corners walk.

Sydla

Reaction score
Let's also note the trickle down effect here.

You now have to go heavy on defense in the draft when it wouldn't have hurt you to take a WR and an OL or even a TE in the earlier rounds. But now, you can't really go BPA here. You've backed yourself into a corner where you have to draft secondary and defensive end.

negativecreep

Reaction score
I really thought Mo was turning a corner this year and getting better, maybe our staff thought he reached his peak already, or are aware of something we don't know about. Nice guy, I wish him well.

Sydla

Reaction score
Think we'll see more zone this year. Mo is more of a man or bust corner IMO.

We let our two man coverage corners walk.

We tried to resign on of those two man CBs in Claiborne. So I am not sure I am buying into the front office apologists who are now justifying the gutting of our secondary claiming the team didn't want them back because they were man CBs and we are shifting to more zone.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
That's absolutely confounding we couldn't match that.
Could have.

What is interesting is that we were A-Okay with paying him $3.75 on a one year deal when he likely was going to be the third corner, but not $5M after arguably his best season and he would be counted on to be a starter.

Glad they didn't in a way, just find their thought processes very odd.

Sydla

Reaction score
Could have.

What is interesting is that we were A-Okay with paying him $3.75 on a one year deal when he likely was going to be the third corner, but not $5M after arguably his best season and he would be counted on to be a starter.

Glad they didn't in a way, just find their thought processes very odd.

Yeah, I'd like to know where the line in the sand was drawn on what they were willing to pay Claiborne this time around.