Monday Night Football: Falcons at Eagles

Flamma

Reaction score
This game made my entire night at work. I was upbeat and happy to be there.

I have one question. Give me your opinions ladies and gents. When the Eagles kicked off after losing the lead late in the game, they kicked it through the endzone. Do you think it was wise to give the Falcons the ball at the 30 without a single second running off the clock? I understand the concept during most of the game, but was it wise in this situation? This isn't as bad as when the Bills lost a playoff game to the Chiefs as a result of this, but still bad IMO. The Falcons have no timeouts and 1:39 left. Why not kick it to the 5 and let them return it. You could stop them before the 30 and waste about 5 seconds off the clock. There's risk, of course. But chances are in your favor to be in a better position. Any opinions?

Reactions: CWR

Nav22

Reaction score
This is why boy wonder is an idiot. You don't pass in that situation. This is classic Moore how he screws up games in the end.

4th&3: Hurts run for 23 = 1st
3rd&2: Hurts run for 12 = 1st
2nd&1: Barkley run for 5 = 1st
4th&1: Hurts run for 3 = 1st
2nd&1: Hurts run for 2 = 1st
1st&1: Hurts run for 1 =TD 3rd&1:
Hurts run for 1 = 1st
Moore made Saquon drop a pass my 10-year-old niece would've caught?
:laugh:

Flamma

Reaction score
Moore made Saquon drop a pass my 10-year-old niece would've caught?
:laugh:
Stupid call by Moore. Yeah it would have worked had Barkley caught it, but he didn't. Run the ball up the middle and the game is over. Even if he doesn't get the first down, run it again or kick the FG, game over. He's trying to be cute.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Eagles reaching 10-1 last season had a lot to do with teams who had them on the ropes, making self inflicting mistakes (Such as dropping TD passes or turning on the ball while they were in scoring position.) They're not going to be that lucky this season and as I said will probably lose a couple more games by the time they get to the 11 game mark this season.

Nav22

Reaction score
Stupid call by Moore. Yeah it would have worked had Barkley caught it, but he didn't. Run the ball up the middle and the game is over. Even if he doesn't get the first down, run it again or kick the FG, game over. He's trying to be cute.
A fumble isn't possible if they run up the middle? Or a holding call that stops the clock?

It's football. Stuff happens.

"But he didn't" isn't much of an argument after the fact.

I could say, "Running would've worked if Barkley didn't fumble, but he did - therefore, it was stupid to run the ball!"

If Barkley does his job and catches the easy pass, the analysts are praising Moore for the bold decision to trust his playmakers to ice the game.

Flamma

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what drew the penalty on London after the TD catch to take the lead? What did he do?

Flamma

Reaction score
A fumble isn't possible if they run up the middle? Or a holding call that stops the clock?

It's football. Stuff happens.

"But he didn't" isn't much of an argument after the fact.

I could say, "Running would've worked if Barkley didn't fumble, but he did - therefore, it was stupid to run the ball!"
I'm talking probabilities. End of game runs aren't often fumbled. RBs usually protect the ball. Catches are catches no matter what. You either make them or you don't. Fumbles when you're running out the clock happen, but are extremely rare. Probably under 1%. Even if he did, they got the ball at the 5 yard line, not the 30. Every scenario is better if you run the ball.

Nav22

Reaction score
I'm talking probabilities. End of game runs aren't often fumbled. RBs usually protect the ball. Catches are catches no matter what. You either make them or you don't. Fumbles when you're running out the clock happen, but are extremely rare. Probably under 1%. Even if he did, they got the ball at the 5 yard line, not the 30. Every scenario is better if you run the ball.
I don't know the odds of dropping a wide open, short pass in the flats, but I'm sure it's also very low.

The game is over and it's a perfect playcall if the RB catches the ball.

Even if the run play doesn't result in a fumble, if Barkley gets stuffed for no gain the Falcons still had a shot with about 1:00 left (rather than 1:40). And they roasted the Eagles D in about 1:00 anyways!

-------------------

Sidenote: I think Philly should've gone for it on 4th and 3, for the reason you alluded to. It you convert, game over. If you don't, the Falcons are pinned very deep needing a FG just to force OT.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
kirk threw some good passes on that last drive.
eagles played to not lose and that cost them the win.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Eagles defense can still easily be had. Another game where they allow the opposing team to easily march down for a score. Another game where Hurts wasn't good enough.

After that 10-1 start last year, Eagles have fell off a cliff. Their offense has looked pretty bad.

Hurts isn't that great of a QB. I know the Super Bowl appearance will fool some people but that had to be the easiest path ever, playing Daniel Jones and then SF's 4th string at home.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't know the odds of dropping a wide open, short pass in the flats, but I'm sure it's also very low.

The game is over and it's a perfect playcall if the RB catches the ball.

Even if the run play doesn't result in a fumble, if Barkley gets stuffed for no gain the Falcons still had a shot with about 1:00 left (rather than 1:40). And they roasted the Eagles D in about 1:00 anyways!

-------------------

Sidenote: I think Philly should've gone for it on 4th and 3, for the reason you alluded to. It you convert, game over. If you don't, the Falcons are pinned very deep needing a FG just to force OT.
It's a 3rd and 3. Barkley probably gets the 3 yards. They couldn't stop him. If he doesn't, run it again. Could be a tush push. If they don't get it, under a minute left from around the 5 yard line with no timeouts.

Nav22

Reaction score
It's a 3rd and 3. Barkley probably gets the 3 yards. They couldn't stop him. If he doesn't, run it again. Could be a tush push. If they don't get it, under a minute left from around the 5 yard line with no timeouts.
"Probably"?

He DEFINITELY gets the 3 yards if he catches the easiest pass he'll ever see.

Then the game is over. Cousins never sees the field again.

lkelly

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what drew the penalty on London after the TD catch to take the lead? What did he do?
He mimed some sort of shooting a machine gun in the air action. I'm guessing that league has probably told teams that gun celebrations are not in line with the brand. It's amazing that players can't seem to avoid absolutely moronic decisions. Then again, nothing new.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Listened to some Philly after game funeral talk . Siriani Fangio and Kellen Moore all ripped . And the hosts were in agreement Jordan Davis Jalen Carter & Nakobe Dean all high recent draft picks are invisible on D .

One final thought , if Kellen Moore runs the ball at the end instead of a dumb pass play that stopped the clock the Eagles win . Thank you Kellen .

Chasing6

Reaction score
There's always chaos theory as different events cascade to random results. But they are NOT all precisely equal. They are called key or critical moments. Often later in the game they become more critical. Like Jackie Smith, for example. Again, a LOT of people make a LOT of money showcasing this very thing...Al Michaels for example in his weekly recap.

Could the coaches be to blame for play calling? Absolutely! But obviously critical is Barkley dropping a very easy 1st down/possible TD pass.

You thunk that was nothing, eh? mkay.

The problem here, 6...is you are being stubbornly inflexible. I'm willing to concede certain points of yours and you put up a brick wall on obvious factual points I have made. Strange...but oh well.

It's risky making things black and white. It usually never is. Irrational, even. But I am sure you have some other motive other than being rational.
You go ahead and keep believing 1 person wins and loses games in the NFL.